Frankie Edgar confirms next fight will be at featherweight

The speculation is over – former UFC lightweight champ Frankie Edgar will drop to 145 pounds for his next bout! Edgar had been mulling the idea over since his stumble against Benson Henderson earlier this month, weighing his current comfort and speed against competing against opponents closer to him in size.

Edgar’s decision was reported on this week’s episode of UFC Tonight. No opponent was mentioned as a likely option for his featherweight debut thought it was stated he would likely need to win a fight before receiving consideration for a title-shot.

The 30-year old Edgar, who at 5’6” was tied with Sean Sherk as the UFC’s shortest lightweight, suffered the first losing streak of his career this year by falling in back-to-back decisions against the larger Henderson. However, despite his diminutive size, “The Answer” holds an overall record of 14-3-1 including wins over the likes of Sherk, Gray Maynard, Jim Miller, and B.J. Penn.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

Hopefully he does as well as 145 as he did at 55, just hope they don’t throw him right into Aldo

• Sumoninja says:

Mentally, this move to me is almost ballsier than fighting at 155 as a small guy relying on quickness and cardio. You just lost the belt at 155, so you drop down. What happens if the first 145er you face (likely a contender) is faster and has more gas than you, knowing that Aldo is for sure an order of magnitude better than that guy? Slippery slope there, confidence wise. Tons of respect for the cajones it takes to make this move and believe in yourself to succeed. Big Edgar fan.

• AlphaOmega says:

I saw on twitter where he said one of the reasons he’s dropping down was because Dana keeps pressuring him to do it, so he figured he might as well go ahead. Except Dana always says he doesn’t put pressure on fighters to fight where he want’s them to fight, and lets them fight where they want to

• Richard Stabone says:

Well this obviously isn’t the move Frankie wanted to make. And the fact it comes on the heels of losing a title fight that many (most?) people feel he won… ouch, that’s rough. But his path back to a title shot at LW was gonna be longer than it figures to be at FW, so when push came to shove he reluctantly made the switch.

In his mind he’s gotta feel like the UFC LW belt should be with him in Jersey, but instead he’s now gotta bite the bullet and drop to 145. I agree this will be a challenging endeavor for Frankie, both physically & mentally the way everything has gone down, but I think he’ll do fine. After watching him absorb the beating he did from Maynard in the 1st round of their second fight, and persevere & come back the way he did, it’s impossible to question that dude’s heart & willpower to succeed. Can’t wait to see him fight Aldo somewhere down the line.

• Richard Stabone says:

Dana talks out of both sides of his mouth quite often.

With DW, you gotta take the good with the bad. I like how engaged he is with the organization, his direct interaction with fans & fighters, his willingness to offer advice to guys (privately & publicly) and his overall candor. But along with that comes his sometimes warped perception on certain matters, as his dual role as both president & UFC naturally results in bias & inconsistency at times. He’s far from perfect but overall I think he does a solid job, and it’s pretty tough to argue with the results.

• Richard Stabone says:

errr…meant to say his dual role as both president and fan of the UFC sometimes leads to bias & inconsistencies

• AlphaOmega says:

See we need an edit button

• elsicilian says:

Yeah Frankie wanted another shot at Henderson, or maybe a tuneup fight and then another shot at whoever held the LW belt … but that’s just not gonna happen, so this is the obvious move for him. Good for you Frankie … I can’t wait to see you fight Aldo whenever it happens!

• AlphaOmega says:

In regards to the edit button that I mentioned that has nothing to do with this article: If Brendhan can get it to happen, I think a post should only be editable for a short period of time, if that’s possible. I can see a problem happening where one of us has a huge debate and then the person who loses changed their post and is then like well see I never said any of that so you guys are crazy. That would defeat what we have going I think.

In regards to this article: I think Frankie will have good success at 145 but not as much as he did at 155, just because I don’t think he will be so much faster now, like he was at 55, at least not so much faster in regards to his opponent, whoever that is at the time.

• JBAR says:

Faber might be a good first fight for him at 145

• AlphaOmega says:

I like that fight, but it’ll depend on if Frankie wants to get in sooner rather then later since Faber still has broken ribs

• Frankie vs Zombie would be an awesome first fight for Frankie and put him right in the midst of all the contenders at 145.

• JBAR says:

I figure Frankie is going to need a little time to cut an additional 10 pounds. If it was me I would make a a full cut during training to see how my body reacts before doing it for a fight.

• Big Stank says:

About damn time

• Screenplaya says:

Prediction: Frankie is going to land a punch on the chin of some guy his own size, and he will be very pleased with the results.

After his debut at 145, he will say:

1) Little guys are harder to hit, but they lose consciousness easier
    2) Where is Jose Aldo? I got a space on my mantle I need to fill.