Miguel Torres joins Titan FC roster

Former WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres was apparently released from the UFC after his knockout loss to Michael McDonald at UFC 145. Torres broke the news on his website where he posted, “I am writing this letter to inform you that as a result of my last loss, I was cut from the UFC.”

Torres was 37-1 when he lost his bantamweight title to Brian Bowles in the WEC and has since gone 3-4 including just a 2-2 record inside the Octagon. While he may not have been overly successful as of late, Torres assured everyone his love of MMA still remains, writing, “I have dedicated my whole life to mixed martial arts and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. From teaching, to training, and fighting from the lowest to the highest levels, my passion in life is to be the best that I can be.”

Fortunately for fans, this is not the end of the line for Torres who revealed he already has a new promotional home lined up for his next outing.

“My next fight will be in Hammond, Indiana for Titan Fighting Championship on November the 2nd,” the 31-year old announced.

Torres nor Titan Fighting Championship have hinted as to who his opponent might be. This is not only big news for Torres, but for Titan FC as well. This will be the first time the promotion has traveled outside of Kansas since 2006, and the fight will be in Chicago-native Torres’ proverbial backyard.

“I am excited to continue fighting, to regain my focus, and to get back to what made me a champion,” Torres added.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• G-DUB says:

I must be missing something. Does the UFC have a plethora of big names at 135 to warrant dismissing a fighter with Miguel’s name recognition? In an era of paper-thin UFC cards, can’t Torres serve as a co-main event for a FUEL TV card …. or at least one of the main card fights? Clearly, Torres is not a favorite of UFC brass, but they keep talking about building up the lower weight classes. I’ll be damned if Torres can’t still beat 85% of UFC bantamweights. Nonetheless, I think he’ll be able to put together a string of victories with Titan to make his UFC return in the near future.

• Creature says:

God damn it.. I really wanted to see Torres/Faber and though fucks at the UFC ruined a dream match of mine -_-

• MCM says:

completely agree G-DUB. But just to play devils advocate, Torres hasn’t looked good in any fight since coming to the UFC (that I can recall at least). He seams to have lost his aggressiveness and fights to win on points now. That sort of fighting doesn’t help PPV numbers of free cards. Still, at 40-5 cutting him seams like a waste.

• Lord Faust says:

I was in shock last night when I got home, jumped on Twitter and found out both that Miguel had been cut — apparently after his last loss, though it was kept quiet — and that Edgar is dropping to 145. What a night.

Like Creature, I’m upset that Faber / Torres may not happen — nevermind any time soon. Although I will admit, I can already hear Joe going on about THOSE LEGS KICKS!!!

• Richard Stabone says:

For whatever reason(s), it’s pretty obvious Torres was always on thin ice with the UFC.

He did seem to lose his mojo when Bowles knocked him out. Like MCM said, he went from being an aggressive, force-the-action fighter to much more conservative. It was his first time being KO’d and first time losing in a long time, so GSP comes to mind in that regard having changed up his style quite a bit after the fluke Serra KO. But whereas GSP’s overall talents allowed for a smooth transition–even at the displeasure of a lot of fans–Miguel just never seemed to find a comfort zone in the cage after that Bowles fight. Really a strange thing… he was a scary, reckless force up to that point and then became a .500 fighter (winning 3 and dropping 3 after the Bowles fight). He went from the upper half of P4P lists to more of an afterthought, within a relatively short amount of time, and at a relatively young age. Doesn’t really add up. The level of competition very likely played a role but I think Torres’ own issues were the biggest factor.

So who knows why Torres was never in good favor with the UFC, but they’ve viewed him as expendable for a while now. Looking at his past couple fights he made ~$30K to show in each, so it’s not like he had become too expensive to justify keeping him on board despite the less than stellar results. He’s a fairly well known name, well liked by fans, generally a good bet to put on entertaining fights… so it does seem like a questionable cut. But there’s a lot about Miguel Torres’ career to this point that is puzzling.

• Richard Stabone says:

Hell, Frank Mir used to have to change his underwear after commentating those Torres fights in the WEC.

Not sure where that point fits in with my previous post but I forgot to mention it.

• G-DUB says:

Excellent point about his salary RB …. it hadn’t become stifling for the UFC. Another important point from a business perspective is that UFC expansion into Mexico has become a key company objective and he was heavily involved in UFC PR efforts there. Torres and Velasquez were the poster boys for this initiative and it would seem to me that Miguel has the perfect temperament and connection with the fans to act as the lead in these efforts. In light of this, I’m sure there’s a lot we don’t know that transpired behind the scenes.

• hindsightufuk says:

i’m gutted, Torres is one of my favourite fighters to watch. if i had to make up a card he’d be on it.
    his WEC fights are rewatchable classics.
    where was Bellator when this happened, dammit Bjorn your roster could have had a massive boost.
    Torres vs Dantas/Tiny Nog/Wilson Reis, Ed West, Makovsky etc