Quinton Jackson training in Brazil for bout with Glover Teixeira

This October, former UFC light heavyweight champ Quinton Jackson will likely enter the Octagon for the final time in his career before signing with a new promotion he feels more respected in. However, rather than prepare for the bout in the comfort of his regular gym, “Rampage” has decided to pack his gear up and head down to Brazil where he’ll also ultimately be facing Glover Teixeira at UFC 153.

In an interview with TATAME, Jackson took a “why not” approach to the matter when asked about his decision to train in Brazil, pointing to his BJJ coach having a gym in the South American hub.

On the topic of Teixeira, Jackson appeared to be especially motivated for the match-up based not only on it being his swansong in the UFC but also in relation to his adversary’s reputation for action rather than takedowns/stalling.

“I haven’t seen Glover’s fights but I heard he’s really tough. I heard he got good stand-up and good Jiu-Jitsu. I’m looking forward to fight my opponent and it’s a good fight,” explained Jackson. “Most the times he comes to fight and I’m hoping he stays that way. It looks like an exciting fight and I like fighting people who put on a great show.”

Jackson also revealed he’s already exploring his options outside of the UFC, adding, “This is my very last fight in UFC of my contract, so I’m start seeing what’s out there, what other company wants me to fight for it.”

UFC 153 is set for October 13 in Rio de Janeiro and will be headlined by a title-bout between featherweight champion Jose Aldo and surging striker Erik Koch.

PHOTO CREDIT –  LEXANI TIRES/UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

“Most the times he comes to fight and I’m hoping he stays that way.”

I’m hoping the opposite, I’m hoping Glover takes him down and grinds on him for three rounds, then knocks him out with a few mins left of round three, that’d make me so very very happy.

• raker says:

Agreed! If he wants to fight only stand-up he should become a boxer.

• Big Stank says:

What if Rampage knocks out Glover? Do u think he really leaves or negotiates another deal. I don’t think he can make the kind of money elsewhere.

• Lord Faust says:

If he smashes Glover I have no doubt that Dana and co. will crowbar open their wallets. At that point, it would be up to Rampage and whatever he perceives his value to be.

The UFC is in a no-lose situation, really. Though ‘Page would probably command much more pay than Glover is currently earning, so from a bankroll perspective they’re probably hoping ‘Page gets lumberjack KO’ed on his way out the door.

He’s been pretty quiet lately, so who knows. Rampage is not the most stable guy; if he wins decisively, or even loses a competitive decision, I strongly believe he’ll re-sign. Despite my distaste for the guy on almost every level, he still has some appeal and the UFC’s been hurt by injuries and cards with lacking name value.

• Sumoninja says:

While I have a small amount of lingering affection for Rampage based on past performance, mainly in Pride, I don’t understand how he expects to be relevant in today’s MMA without having a counter to good wrestling? Page is not only unstable, but really not doing himself any favors with his one-dimensional style these days.

• AlphaOmega says:

The thing is that he has a good counter, he use to have great TD, and now its gone for some reason