UFC 151 cancelled after Dan Henderson suffers injury and Jon Jones turns down fight with Chael Sonnen

In a last minute conference call to the media, UFC President Dana White made a shocking announcement regarding UFC 151. Rumors began swirling last night that Dan Henderson was injured and would not be fighting for the light heavyweight championship against Jon Jones. White not only confirmed the injury but revealed the news was much worse than expected.

“This is the lowest point in my eleven-year career as the UFC President,” stated White to media members. “For the first time in 11 years, we are going to cancel an event. UFC 151 is being canceled. Henderson tore his MCL and he tried to train on it. There was nothing we could do to save the fight.”

The UFC has a history of being able to salvage fights by finding late replacements and technically they did, though it was not to Jones’ liking.

“To find someone who would face Jon Jones on eight days notice is tough to do, but one guy did step up and say he would take the fight – Chael Sonnen.”

“Sonnen wanted the fight bad, so as of 8 o’clock last night we had a fight, but this morning something happened that I never thought would happen in a million years. Jones said, ‘I’m not fighting Chael Sonnen with eight days notice. This has never happened in the history of the UFC,” White continued.

The obviously irate White elaborated, saying “ Greg Jackson is a weirdo! Greg Jackson told Jon Jones that taking a fight against Chael Sonnen on eight days notice would be the biggest mistake of his fighting career and he shouldn’t take the fight. We put a lot of money into this card. We have TV ads, we have billboards, but this is a selfish decision and disgusting decision by Jones…I am glad Jones is rich, but other guys on the card were depending on this fight to happen to feed their families.”

White later said that the other fights on UFC 151 would be moved around as well but no plans have been made to do so at the time of the call.He also revealed UFC 152, now UFC 151, will now feature Jones fighting Lyoto Machida.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

Can you just transfer the super long conversation from the 151 conference call post to here? I’d really rather not stay it all over again.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Can’t you just cut/paste it?

• Lord Faust says:

Dana White’s conduct on the media call, and the verbiage of the official press release is embarrassing. I’ve never seen something so unprofessional in my life.

Dana White needs to separate the product from his ego, and he needs to step aside as the “face of the UFC”. That shit was disgraceful; he hung his own employee — and champion, at that — out to dry. Just like he threw Shogun under the bus for not fighting Glover.

Dana is a scorpion, the fighters are the frogs. It’s in his nature.

I don’t like JBJ much, but I like Dana even less now. Learn to handle your shit like a grown-up, man.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 12

• G-DUB says:

Johnny Bones Jones supplants Chael Sonnen as the biggest villain in MMA. Humorous that he calls himself a “businessman”. He just lost most of his fanbase, but will win many fans who will pay for the chance to see his face planted into the canvas.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Also gotta say I was disappointed in White’s phrasing/attitude. How can you fault a guy for not wanting to defend his title against a guy who doesn’t deserve it on a week’s notice?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 8

• Lord Faust says:

Even if Dana was 100% justified in his anger, his approach was beyond unprofessional. Very few people would keep their jobs for that conduct, even if it wasn’t in full public view.

• Richard Stabone says:

Talk about an H-Bomb being dropped. Canceling a PPV card…an event taking place in Vegas…during a holiday weekend…this is enormous. What a freakin bummer.

A few initial thoughts…

1) This Chael guy never ceases to amaze. That sumbitch nearly talked himself right into a title shot. Now obviously this is highly unusual circumstances, and apparently Chael wasn’t the first choice as DW reports other guys turned down the offer, but still… somehow, some way a guy with a total of one fight in the UFC at LHW (which happened over 5 years ago and Chael lost btw) was offered & accepted a shot at Bones’ title. The fact that was even an option on the table is pretty incredible; the Chael hype machine continues to fire on all cylinders.

2) So I wonder who else was offered the fight? Names like Gustafsson & Teixeira naturally come to mind, but I can’t blame anyone for not fighting Jones on short notice. Jones has been preparing all along and is right on schedule to fight 9/1, all revved up to go. But for whoever was going to step in as a replacement they couldn’t possibly have been prepared mentally & physically to fight 10 days from now (nevermind a main event title fight against an undefeated wrecking machine). If I’m Gustafsson, one win away from a shot anyway, I take my chances going thru Shogun rather than force the issue by taking this fight. But I would imagine most fans don’t see it that way. I wonder if the names of guys who turned down the offer will eventually be leaked.

3) DW will bitch & moan to the press about this fight (and entire event) falling thru. And how a champion refused to fight. Which is all fine & good, but I wonder how much of an effort the UFC really made to salvage this event. What type of kickback did they offer Jones to accept a completely different opponent 10 days out? As a holiday weekend card, this figured to be one of the top-10 biggest events of the year. So canceling it is obviously a huge hit to the UFC. So did they offer to double Jones’ payday? And were they prepared to triple it if necessary? Or did DW just take the typically rigid strongarm approach, and then bitch & moan when he doesn’t get his way?

4) So Bones wouldn’t budge. He had told us earlier he wouldn’t allow Chael to talk his way to a title shot, and we can now see that Jones said what he meant & damn sure meant what he said. He’s already catching a ton of flak for this, but he stayed true to his word. Chael’s talk & overall act has certainly paid dividends during his UFC career, but part of his act has involved disrespecting fellow fighters which naturally rubs some fighters the wrong way. Well, it definitely came back to bite Chael in the ass this time around. If Chael had expressed his intent to move to LHW without immediately firing away at the champion, talking about snatching away his belt like stealing candy from a punk kid, would Jones have been so adamant about not fighting him? Who knows, but for Chael the chickens have come home to roost.

AlphaOmega shared an interesting link in the other article that shows a bunch of the tweets coming out rapid fire from other fighters. Similar to the general fan sentiment, Jones’ decision not to settle for the Chael fight was an unpopular one. But it’s sorta easy for them to say. How many of them have been in Jones’ position, holding a UFC belt & trying to defend to protect his position as champion and all that comes with it?

Scrolling thru the tweets I see comments from only one UFC champion (former or current), with Bendo tweeting the following:

“For all the ppl who don’t understand the SPORT OF MMA…ask an NFL team to play the Superbow vs a not worthy opponent…”

It’s a bit of an awkward statement but I get what he’s trying to say. I think Jason High was able to cut right to the heart of it with his tweet…

“Screw u guys calling him selfish man. I can’t stand fans. Of course he’s selfish. Who’s gonna take care of his shit if he doesn’t? You?”

5) And finally, the silver lining in all this is that all those fans lighting up the forums & twitter about how excited they are to see Machida face Jones again, which will now happen in just a few short weeks. File this one under “Careful what ya wish for.”

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 7

*** COPY PASTA WARNING ***

Here are my posts from the other thread:

The hate for JBJ here is absurd. Dana White is mad because one fight being off ruins the card; that is the promoter’s fault.

I am still not a fan, but JBJ has it right when he says he fights for money. Figures, one of the few honest men in that regard gets thrown under the bus by Dana, Rogan (who seems more like Dana’s sock puppet every day), and now Chael — the unofficial company spokesman.

Again, if you’re angry here you need to be upset that Hendo got hurt and that the UFC put together such a dubious card that there was no contingency plan or even a legit co-main event.

Dana sounded like a spoiled child in the media call and throwing their champion under the bus makes them look bush league and petulant.

Again, I say this as a guy who probably gives JBJ less benefit of the doubt than he deserves.

The Sonnen fight on 8 days notice, with no time to promote it is the definition of absurd. And would be a waste of a major marketing opportunity.

Sonnen is coming off a one-sided stomping at a lower weight-class. There is no legitimate reason he should be challenging Jones for the title at this point. Anyone with half a brain would turn that down on 8 days notice. All it does is serve to boost Chael, meanwhile if Jones won then he’d get all sorts of flack for beating up an “out of shape 185?er with no UFC wins at LHW” as many have said.

JBJ fighting Sonnen at some point in the future make sense. Chael played this perfectly; he turned into a hero and made Jones a villain by agreeing to a fight he knew would not happen.

—-

Chael is a master, by the way…

Do you honestly think his back-and-forth on Twitter with JBJ was a coincidence. Dan’s had this injury for a while (there were pics of him sparring in a knee brace). Chael is a master opportunist and he engineered this weeks in advance. I can’t even put into words my appreciation for that kind of deviousness.

Let’s also not forget Dana’s exact words 2 days before this shit-show:

“He’s not coming off the Silva fight and just talking his way into a 205lbs title shot”

But nevertheless, people are falling for his character assassination.

• G-DUB says:

I can fault the guy Brendan …. and so will most fans and fighters. Check out twitter for a moment if you will. At least Johnny’s got King Mo’s support….Super for him. Without question, Jones should have accepted the fight.

Copy and paste time:

Probably one of the few times Bisping made me laugh, and respect him a tiny bit:

michael ?@bisping

Jones said he’s not fighting chael on 8 days notice. I did. …. Just sayin
    Also:

And even those its not listed on that site, Joe Rogan’s stand up gig was cancelled by mandala bay, spelled that wrong I know, due to the UFC not having a show there.

Youre right faust he did
    Oh I forgot to say what the link is. It’s a list of a lot of the tweets with fighters responses to the cancelling, and Jones backing out of the fight with Chael
    It is unprecedented, but due to Jones backing out of a fight with Chael, 20 other fighters now don’t get paid either. While it upsets me that Jones backed out, especially after he said he didn’t want to fight Machida cuz he didn’t want to be a broke athlete and now decided to just not fight at all. It’s also on the UFC for completely cancelling it, they could of just bumped fights up, granted it would of done horrible numbers, but a card would of still been shown, and the other fighters would of still been paid.
    Its a huge blow that hurts a lot of people, so all of the reactions aren’t public friendly, or what they should be. Dana and company are very pissed right now so probably not thinking straight. The question is did they only ask Jones to fight Chael? Cuz I’m sure there’s a lot of LHW’s that would of stepped up. Hell machida probably would of stepped up since he said he wanted to fight sooner then wait for Jones after the Hendo fight. They could of offered it to other people, but instead chael would of made them lots of money and cancelled when that didn’t happen
    ..Faust, we need to stop posting around the same time..it screws up our responses.
    If Jones won I don’t think he would of gotten flack for all of that. I think what people saw is that a champion stepped up and accepted a fight to help out his bosses. They would of seen him as a company man, and I think that would of boosted his stock more then the fight itself.
    Also I think between all the heat against Jones and Jacksons, I think Jacksons will end up getting the worst of it and faltering the most from this. Since it was Greg Jackson that told Jones to turn down the fight since that was the worst mistake he could make in his career. Once the dust settles, itll be a fighter listening to his coach.
    I don’t mean the UFC hurting Greg Jackson, I mean fighters and fans turning their back on them, its a possibility, might not happen and it might. Just saying that I think the flack against Jones goes away faster then it does against Jackson.

Ok since i refreshed constantly to wait your second response, here’s my reply to your first. It makes you wonder if the UFC even tried asking other fighters first, or if they were just like Chael stepped up, we give it to him, *while seeing dollar signs after dollar signs of the trash talk*, oh crap Jones turned it down, you know what fuck it lets cancel the whole thing. Nope don’t bother calling any other fighter, dont listen if they call stepping up, fuck it, chael vs jones was big money now its fucked.
    by the way that was suppose to be off the trash talk, not of
    Even if Dan hasn’t been injured, I always figured Chael started the trash talking to get in Jones’ head so that he would over look Henderson, who’s Chaels buddy. So even from that side Chael’s a master/good friend.
    “As a holiday weekend card” Which holiday? I’m so out of the loop and suck at remembering holidays as it is. Also, were you refreshing constantly as well until we stopped typing?

Ok now to some of your points. I don’t think this bit Chael on the ass, actually I think this boosted chael’s stock and will more then likely give him a title shot after one win, where as before I believed he wouldn’t of gotten it, only after two wins. I think that some of the other points i kinda touched on my opinion already, so no need to give people more reading in repeating the same thing. I will say I get both sides, is Jones a bit of a bitch for turning down the fight when he’s the champ? maybe (yes), Is it all Jones’ fault that the card got cancelled? No.

• MCM says:

By now I think we know most of the details, and there is plenty of blame to go around.
    -The UFC should know better than to make a card based on a single fight. But they do it all the time with Jones and GSP.
    -Jones should step up and fight instead of risking an entire card with all the money pored into it by his employers (venues, tv deal, promotions, etc.). It’s not just he UFC that’s hurt, but FOX, Fuel, Mandalay Bay etc.

But it’s tough to fault Jones for not taking the fight on 8 days notice. Chael is an extremely tough guy, and Jones would be putting his belt on the line with out any real preparation. Personally, I think did the right thing in turning down the fight with Chael. I think where he screwed up was in turning down a fight with Anyone on short notice.

The perfect replacement was not a to bring in a MW and give him a title fight, but to call in a HW and make it a non-title fight. Jones was speaking just this week about eventually fighting at HW and he can make the weight class easy enough by not cutting before the weigh ins. But who could the UFC call in that could fight on such short notice? It would have to be someone with a name since it’s a headlining fight. Someone that’s always willing to fight no matter what. Someone who’s not really in the title hunt since you don’t want to screw up another division. Someone that would give Jones a good fight, but not have a great chance of beating him (ala A.S./Irving). And someone that has a huge fan base that could help salvage the fact that no title is on the line. It wouldn’t hurt if they lived close by either. I wonder who that could have been? I’ll go ask Roy Nelson and see if he has any ideas.

• AlphaOmega says:

Really thumbs down when brendhan told me to copy/paste it? ok then. I guess I could of made it prettier though. The last one is my response to Richard’s long post by the way.

• Richard Stabone says:

Interesting tweet from Jones…

“And therefore those skilled in war bring the enemy to the field of battle and are not brought there by him” – Sun Tzu

• AlphaOmega says:

I think Dana/UFC just got really excited about how much $ they could of gotten off the sudden Jones vs Chael situation and the trash talk that would of shown up in a week, and didn’t want to look at anyone else stepping in. Also Dana give Big Country a chance at Jones and help him out? Come on MCM.

• AlphaOmega says:

I saw that Richard, I can’t tell if that was before the UFC offered him Chael or after, because Chael’s 30 mins tweet came after it, and according to the time, Jones’ was on the 22nd, and Chaels on the 23rd

• Lord Faust says:

I actually love the tumbs down; unless someone addresses my points directly I assume someone disagrees with me and has no valid response. And when someone responds, even better — I’m vocal, but I’m not the be-all-end-all of this place; I like debates, even when I’m wrong or if it’s a matter of opinion that other views exist.

• Richard Stabone says:

Also, as I’ve mentioned on here several times before, it is my strong opinion that this is the type of thing that went down with the first Cain-JDS fight. With both guys hurt, under anything close to normal circumstances the fight would have been postponed. But since it was the inaugural FOX event, happening on the heels of the huge announcement of the network TV deal and all the ad time & overall promotion & hype of the event, that show had to go on. So instead of postponing it, they shot Cain’s injured knee up with cortisone and let them go at it. And we got a dud.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Sorry to go stray off topic quite a bit. Carry on.

• MCM says:

@AlphaOmega
    Dana gave Big Country a coaching gig on TUF. I think a lot of their so called animosity is manufactured by the fans. Sure Dana didn’t care for him when he was a contestant on TUF, but outside of him needing to lose weight, when has Dana said anything bad about Roy. Plus he keeps giving Roy top opponents and letting him co-headline cards. The guy is one of the most popular fighters in the game and Dana knows he makes good money off of him. And fighting Nelson wouldn’t have affected the LHW division at all, while still keeping the card and allowing Jones to headline. It’s the perfect solution IMO.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Trivia Time:

What is the least amount a notice a champion has defended his title on?

• Angry Mike says:

It’s White’s job to do what’s best for Zuffa/UFC, and it’s Jackson’s job to do what he thinks is best for Jones. Those aren’t always the same thing. Jones’ meteoric rise suggests Jackson knows what he’s doing, and Jones knows that. If I were in his shoes, I’d listen really hard to Jackson’s advice.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Also, funny that people are crapping on Jones for not taking the fight on eight days notice yet failing to praise him for agreeing to face Machida with less than a month to prepare.

• AlphaOmega says:

It would of also given Big Country a chance to see if he could go for a belt at LHW since he’s said that he’s supposedly, making a run at that weight division after the coaching gig, or at least was suppose to due to that bet he made. And you’re right it might be all manufactured, I know that Big Country said on an interview not to long ago, this week I think?, that Dana was giving him grief over how he coaches.

• Lord Faust says:

If Dana hates Greg so much, why does he keep signing his fighters and cutting them bonus checks.

He couldn’t say enough good things about Cerrone a couple weeks ago, now suddenly Greg the “sport killer”.

It wouldn’t shock me if Dana is hitting the bottle again. Even for him, this explosion is beyond belief.

• Big Stank says:

I have an idea, let the rest of the fighters fight as planned and don’t sell it on PPV. Give us another free card Dana. So ur ratings won’t be so good, but as u said most of those fighters need to fight to feed their families. So let them ya bastard!

• Lord Faust says:

Brendhan – the shortest notice I can recall is Jones -vs- Machida, with four weeks notice. Do I win? I honestly can’t remember any others.

• AlphaOmega says:

Did he agree to the Machida fight though? I thought they were just throwing that out there as a plan right now, but that Dana said that if Jones turned down that fight there’d be a whole different conference call.

I meant the first time.

• AlphaOmega says:

My post was to Brendhan, everyone’s typing at the same time, its making it confusing.

• Richard Stabone says:

Yep. And especially when so many fans were so vocal in opposition to Jones’ recent comments that ppl didn’t want to see that fight again. Well here ya go, fuckers.

• MCM says:

My understanding from listening to the conference call is that Jones has agreed to the Machida fight and just needs to sign the paperwork.

• AlphaOmega says:

Anyone else have a feeling that some of the other big camps, aka and the others, will start making comments about how their camp would of never done this, to try and boost their popularity a little bit at the expense of Greg Jackson’s?

100% Alpha.

Funny thing is, I don’t remember any fighters specifically thanking Bones for headlining PPVs to fight on. Yet they have no problems bitching at him because his boss cancelled an event.

Fighters are out for themselves and they’ll use this any way they can.

• MCM says:

couple things I wonder about….
    How is this gonna affect Jones sponsorship by the UFC?
    How is this gonna affect the UFC’s relationship with FOX or it’s relationship with the PPV providers?
    With Jones’s questionable PPV drawing power, how will fans react now? i.e. “I hate that mother scratcher and I’ma buy this PPV to see him get what’s coming to him.” or “I hate that mother scratcher and I’m not even gonna buy this PPV cause he’s headlining.”?

• AlphaOmega says:

“How much of this is Dana gonna take personally or were we just hearing the voice of a man that was up all night being put through the ringer and will calm down in a few days?”

I think this is what a lot of his responses are.

I think for awhile the UFC will slack off on sponsoring Jones, kinda like they did for that stint with A.S. when Dana threatened to put him on the undercard.

It depends on how many fans get over their instant indignation and can see past the fact that Jones refused a fight and according to the UFC killed the entire card, and realize the fact that that just doesn’t make sense.

• raker says:

This was a huge missed opportunity for Jones. The verbal assault from Sonnen had just started and he could have shut him up quickly. Instead, he refuses to fight him and gives him more ammo to use against him for the foreseeable future. Now we’re all going to hear endless rants from Sonnen about Jones after having to endure a couple of years of this crap about Silva. He could have done himself and the rest of us a big favor..

I agree with Dana… There are people that have bought plane tickets, hotels, etc and fighters that depend on the pay day to make ends meet. The company has spent oodles of cash setting up and promoting the event. Sonnen doesn’t have the power that Hendo does and really is a one trick pony, and I’m amazed that he turned the fight down. Who the hell does he want to fight? Didn’t seem interested in any of the four of Vera, Rua, Bader or Machida and won’t fight a one-dimensional middleweight. I don’t get it. Spit it out Bones…. Who exactly do you want to fight?

• MCM says:

Last question,
    With all the injuries ruining cards, (149) will the UFC attempt to take a more hands on role in fighter training now that it affects their bottom line?

• raker says:

And…. Now more than ever I’m pulling for Machida to knock Jones the eff out! I never understood the dislike for Jones before and he sure won’t improve his popularity. Not good for a guy who is in it for the money.

• AlphaOmega says:

Dana is right about all that raker, but there’s no reason Jones’ refusal should of cost the entire card. Like was said above, quite a ways above, they could of made the co-main event the main event and made this a free card, or just went ahead with the ppv as co-main event being main event and ate the difference, instead of eating the entire thing, and blaming it all on Jones/Greg Jackson.

• MickeyC says:

Well, one thing is for sure, Chael beats forest its gona be a lock that he will fight jones. All jones is doing is giving sonnen ammo. Im not a tweet follower but I KNOW by now that chael is calling him a coward, a runner.And u know the ” how could u do this to the fans? the fighters?” man is he gona give it to him. It will be 10 times worse than with silva. epic perportions man. and like i said it is almost certin to lead to a fight as long as chael does not loose before.

• Lord Faust says:

If it would be a “favour” then you can’t get mad when someone doesn’t take you up on it. Otherwise you’re talking about a demand.

• MickeyC says:

Who do u think the first fighter to come out and say they begged for the fight and was told no? Rampage?

• AlphaOmega says:

With the UFC it seems anymore Favor is the new Demand.

• sdouglasmc says:

Two things:

1 – Dana gets all pissy that Bones won’t defend the title against Chael but doesn’t mention the other fighters that turned a title shot down. Title shots are hard to come by and you’d get big props by taking on a champ like Jones on 8 days win lose or draw. “So, you’re saying there’s a chance?”. It really says a lot about how the other fighters look at Jones.

2 – The card was a poor card all around. To spend $60 on a PPV is a lot for me but if the card is good, I’ll always find a way. It showed just how bad the card was when another fight wasn’t worthy of headline status. There have been a number of cards in the past that I’ve ordered more for the undercard than the main event.

Weidman supposedly offered to fight Jones, and I heard Franklin offered as well

• Lord Faust says:

So far Weidman and Sonnen are the only two known volunteers. Amusingly, both middleweights.

Like the 5oz Twitter account asked: why not book those two as a main event? Oh right, I bet neither of them wants THAT fight.

• raker says:

I don’t think it’s that easy to switch a PPV to a free card Alpha. There are factors to consider like the deals with PPV providers, programming, sponsorship and scheduled events on other channels. Hard to do on short notice. Without Jones there isn’t much left on this card.

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah Raker is correct. The PPV providers get their money regardless and demand a cut of each purchase above that; the ink dried on that contract months ago and, aside from cancelling, I would doubt the UFC has any outs, legally speaking.

Their options were: run a weak card with no main event, or pull the plug. Dana / UFC opted for the latter.

• Richard Stabone says:

Why do people even take Chael seriously? He’s got one fight in the UFC at LHW, which happened over 5 years ago, in a fight Chael was finished in the 2nd round by Babalu. And in his most recent fight, Chael was finished in the 2nd round by Silva.

So I’m supposed to think it’s a disgrace that Bones didn’t a) agree to put his belt on the line against a different opponent with less than 10 days notice, and b) do it against a guy who is completely undeserving of a title shot?

People are funny.

• Lord Faust says:

I’m still shocked people are this upset about a card many people said they weren’t even going to buy. That hypocrisy is right up there with everything Dana White excreted into a microphone.

• raker says:

If Jones was really in it for the money he should have fought Sonnen. It’s the biggest draw for him outside of Silva or a run at heavyweight. It is a business after all and Sonnen could have helped make him some money.

It would also have provided a bit of a measuring stick in comparison to Silva. Many of us have been fantasizing about a Bones-Silva fight for a while and it would have been interesting to see how he stacks up against the same competition.

• Lord Faust says:

There’s quick money and there’s smart money. Fighting Sonnen with no build-up, marketing, or even a valid reason for him being a challenger is quick money.

A fight against Sonnen can yield a huge buyrate, but Sonnen needs time to work his schtick and do the media grind. Burning this fight up to salvage a mediocre PPV is just not good business and everyone involved should know this.

JBJ is doing Sonnen a favour; he’s deferring the ass-whooping Chael’s going to receive until a future date where the fight makes sense, he has more than 8 days advance notice, and there’s some actual promotion behind this.

If you could make $100 now (that you don’t desperately need) or $10,000 in 5-6 months, what would you choose? Retaining a LHW title fight main event wasn’t going to salvage the terrible buyrate this card was destined to post.

• raker says:

Still…. Jones is a fighter, Dana is the business man. Go to work an do your job. With his declining popularity I’m sure that even Nike will be second guessing themselves. Sometimes the quick money can actually be the smart money.

• Richard Stabone says:

Besides, if one of the two main event participants was going to be knocked out by an injury, the UFC (and everyone else) is lucky it was Hendo and not Bones. As it is, the UFC can slide Bones over to the next PPV event in September, providing a significant boost to that card, and as fans we get to see the LHW belt defended yet again, rather than having another division jammed up by injury.

All these injuries should make it that much easier to appreciate how durable Jones has been. He debuted in the UFC only four years ago, and this will be his 12th UFC fight and 4th title defense. That’s pretty incredible, but like many of the impressive feats of Jon Jones it seems to go unnoticed…or at least drowned out by the bitching & moaning.

“He’s too cocky and stuff.”

OK, great.

• Lord Faust says:

Yes, and Jones had a contract provided by Dana White’s company to fight Dan Henderson. If there was a clause that also included any replacement fight offers then I’d agree.

Again, 8 days notice. Title fight. Major sponsorships on the line. It’s not popular (obviously), but Jones made the right call.

It is not Jones’, his manager, or his fight camp’s responsibility to bail the UFC out. If anything, more blame should be put on the UFC match-makers for putting together such a weak card that a freak accident — in the poster year for freak injuries — kyboshes the whole thing.

Jones may be a fighter, but it’s the fight business. Anyone who says they fight for fans, and titles is deluded and / or a liar. None of that shit takes care of you when you’re retired, with a broken body and a depleted bank account.

• Richard Stabone says:

This speculation about Jon Jones all of a sudden losing drawing power, sponsors second guessing themselves, etc. is just silly.

It’s no secret that Bones is a pretty boring dude outside the octagon. And inside it he’s been unchallenged in a way that makes what he’s doing almost boring dominance (Anderson Silva was slipping into this territory before Chael came along).

The way I see it, all this ranting & raving can only help him. For any casual fan who wasn’t aware of Jon Jones before, chances are they will be now. And for whatever cross-section of the fanbase that was lukewarm on Jones before, I think this can only help by stirring things up and creating some more drama & controversy with the guy. At the end of the day, the UFC is selling entertainment and this sort of shit works. Good, bad, whatever… the drama sells more than boring, efficient dominance.

I can’t guarantee this ordeal will help a ton in terms of Jones’ overall intrigue & drawing power, but it can’t hurt. The entire MMA world is fixated on him at this point. What, they’re gonna organize a group boycott? Doesn’t work that way, and it’s usually the opposite effect.

• elsicilian says:

Jones taking this fight against Chael Sonnen is not “giving him a title shot;” rather, it is salvaging the entire event by fighting the only legitimate opponent willing to step up on such short notice.

Under normal circumstances I totally support Jones’ reluctance to fight Sonnen (at least until he had proven himself a legitimate contender at LHW) and it’s certainly not the fight I would most like to see; but these circumstances were obviously very far from normal, and I can’t help but agree with Dana White’s position (if not his tact) on this one.

While I would would have been bummed to miss Jones/Hendo, I am apoplectic that now there will be no fights whatsoever. I had already got my tickets, booked my flight and hotel for the weekend, and I am sure there are tens of thousands of folks equally-if-not-more inconvenienced by all this.

Screw you, Bones Jones … I hope Machida kicks your sorry ass.

• Lord Faust says:

legitimate opponent willing to step up on such short notice.

In what universe is Chael Sonnen a legitimate challenger to the most dominant champion in the LHW divison?

Chael Sonnen offered to fight, while commendable does not change the facts of the matter. 0-1 in UFC LHW fights and coming off a one-sided mugging at the hands of the champion 20 lbs. lighter.

• Lord Faust says:

And again, the UFC cancelled the show. Jones only refused to fight an unimpressive replacement.

Joe Silva, the Fertitas and Dana White are to blame; both for actually pulling the plug and resting an entire event on one guy.

When has Dana or the UFC ever accepted their share of the blame in anything?

• Lord Faust says:

I wonder if Thumbs Down Guy(s) recall that Henderson originally declined the fight in March?

• raker says:

Jones was an injury replacement himself when he got his shot. Maybe Shogun should have turned that down. He didn’t because he’s a fighter that will take on all comers. Legacies are defined by such things as this. By choosing to not face Sonnen Jones has actually made it more challenging for the UFC to plan events in the future. With so many injury issues of late, what happens if Machida gets hurt in training? Does the UFC have to have a secondary contract for a replacement fighter for Jones? Are they always going to have to have a main event caliber fight as the co-main event to be able to salvage a card? In my opinion, this will present some challenges for the UFC as they plan future events, specifically those that include their LHW champ.

• Lord Faust says:

Jones replaced Evans with 2 months notice.

• Lord Faust says:

Since they’re tacking these fights on to other events, Machida getting hurt would suck.

Here’s something no one has addressed in all of this….

How long ago did Dan Henderson get hurt?

If he got hurt 2-3 weeks ago and tried to keep it quiet then, frankly, this is entirely his doing.

Five weeks…43 days.

• Lord Faust says:

Yes, 5 times the advance notice that Jones had in this case. And Jones was a real challenger; $55 to see him beat up Chael is a rude joke.

• raker says:

I agree in most cases that Sonnen is the wrong choice but if your boss asks you to do something which could be considered low risk to salvage a multi-million dollar production, you do it. I agree that Sonnen should really have to earn his shot but what other choice was there with 8 days? Even if it were the UFC’s fault for putting together a weak card, don’t you suppose that Jones could help his boss out considering the fact that he gave him an early opportunity at the title as an injury replacement and has given him a platform to become rich and famous? Goes to show that he is not a company guy and is self centred.

• Lord Faust says:

“Company guy” is nice, but let’s not forget that Jones is effectively an independent contractor like every other fighter. And, as evidenced by today the UFC is certainly not above burying your ass the moment you don’t follow the gameplan. (Again, look at what happened to Shogun, whose warrior ethic you [and correctly I might add] spoke very highly of just a few posts above.)

The UFC didn’t have to cancel the entire event. Yes, it would have been a really weak sell with Ellenberger -vs- Hieron as the ‘main event’, but is it really that much worse than the last two cards? They could have probably thrown some other lower tier fighters on the card and at least run with something.

They opted not to and, as such, that’s why I think this is not Jones’ fault. Unless Hendo hurt himself last night — which his tweets and media activity do not indicate — I am more upset with him in all this; more and more it seems like he damn well knew he wouldn’t be fighting and tried to slide his buddy Chael in the side door.

There’s way more to this than Jones opting out of an easy payday.

• AlphaOmega says:

I think everyone is to centered on the Chael vs Jones thing right now. Jones said he wouldnt fight CHAEL, he never said he wouldn’t fight anyone on 8 days short notice. Did they not offer him anyone besides chael? There’s a few fighters, legit lhw’s too, on twitter that said they’d take the fight. And rumor is a few called dana that night and said theyd take it. So what happened there? I know Dana says that fighter after fighter turned the fight down until Chael called, but what about after?

If the UFC just stopped looking once Chael said he’d do it, and then threw a fit after Jones said no I’m not fighting him on 8 days notice, instead of trying to find a fight he would take, then that is their fault not his.

• THEGUNNER says:

At least they can step it up and put better fights on cards in the future. One fight buckling the whole card sucks.

• sides666 says:

i am so happy dana said what needed to be said. the ufc is the home of fighters and fighters fight end of story. earning a shot at someone is a ridiculous concept in the first place this isn’t the playoffs in hockey its a business, if shit goes down and someone gets hurt and another opponent is available the “fighter” takes the damn fight. i respect chael on a whole new level he is a fighter jon drunk driving jones on the other hand is an athlete not a true fighter and will eventually be exposed. he should be cut. do not get me wrong i love watching the guy perform as an “athlete” but when it comes down to it he is a scared loser who i will no longer watch perform

• Lord Faust says:

If the best they could do was Chael Sonnen, that’s a bigger indictment of the rest of the LHW division than anything.

Jones isn’t scared of Chael. It’s a lousy fight and not worthy of a PPV right now. “Most dominant LHW champ in modern history versus the only guy we could find – a middleweight!”

• Dufresne says:

I keep seeing people say “he’s a fighter, he should fight” and I have to point out a very crucial oversight in that thought. He’s not a fighter, he’s a professional fighter. As in this is his career. And unlike most other careers out there, if you screw up once or have one bad day in MMA, even in a minor way, it could completely change everything including your legacy or even result in a severe injury.

I fully support JBJ for turning this fight down, but I think MCM had a spectacular idea (even though my fat fingers accidently hit the thumbs down) in just changing this to a catch weight non-title bout. It wouldn’t even need to be a top guy. Hell, Anderson fought James Irvin.

And for the comparisons to Bisping stepping up to fight Chael in 8 days or Shogun fighting Jones on “short” notice, those are terrible comparisons. First off, both Bisping and Shogun lost (granted I think the judges screwed Bisping). And secondly, Shogun accepted the fight with 6 weeks notice which happens to be the average length of a full training camp.

As much as I usually am in support of the UFC and even Dana, this is not Jones’s fault, it’s theirs. You can’t expect me to believe that there isn’t a single pair of fighters out there who would step to fill the gap and still make this a marketable event. Hell, Bisping and Stann are fighting at 152, we’re they asked? Even if they couldn’t get a fight with any title relavence, it’s not like this would be the first UFC event with a lackluster main event. Anyone remember Rampage v Hamill? How about Couture v Coleman? Sure, they’re rare, but they’re not unheard of and it’s not like this is New Years or Superbowl weekend, it’s Labor Day. It’s just barely above President’s day on the hierarchy of holidays.

Why is everyone angry at one guy for protecting what’s in his best interests instead of worrying about making complete strangers happy, and why aren’t people more upset with the UFC for being unable to replace one fight? I’m bummed that the card is canceled too, but if I were in Jones’s position or Greg Jackson’s position I would have done the exact same thing.

• Dufresne says:

And as for the “be a company man” train of thought, as soon as the UFC starts offering retirement packages I’ll get on board.

• JBAR says:

A true champ will take on anyone put in front of him at anytime. Chael only had 8 days to prepare for a new opponent, same as Jones.

• Lord Faust says:

For comparison’s sake, name a champion in any combat sport who’s been put in a remotely similar position.

And again, where were the other light heavies? Jones said no to Chael; no one has said they offered him anything else.

• Dufresne says:

And when Chael is risking his championship against a guy who’s 2-2 in his last 4, that’ll be an accurate comparison.

• raker says:

I have to correct myself regarding Shogun before someone else does..:-) He did turn down Glover Texeira.

• raker says:

It’s a fighting spirit that endears me to these guys…someone who will take on all comers and give it his all. that and loyalty. As talented as he is Jon Jones lacks both.

• Richard Stabone says:

Well said, Dufresne. We’re talking about a guy’s career here, in a sport with no built-in protection For its athletes like we see in other pro sports. Guys cant sit on ghe disabled list and continue to receive a paycheck. There ard no guaranteed contracts. It can all be taken away in a flash. As Faust said, these guys are essentially contractors, going fight by fight as long as they can. So I’ll repeat the concise thought tweeted by fighter Jason High…

It’s a bum deal and it’s perfectly understandable ppl are frustrated about it. The other fighters on the card are the big losers here. But if DW & company can’t figure out a way to make things right with these 20 fighters, in this unprecedented situation, then that’s the real problem. The UFC left themselves exposed, with no solid contingency plan, and got burned. Lots of misplaced anger here… for one, shit happens. It’s the UFC’s mess to clean up; not Jon Jones’. Just as it wouldn’t have been on Dan Henderson to save the card if it had instead been Jones getting hurt, and Dan (again) refusing a fight in the better interest of his career.

• sides666 says:

most dominant lhw champ as of late who is affraid to fight a middleweight. i agree 100% jbar. and cmon brendan whats the shortest notice a champ has defended their title.

• Richard Stabone says:

Let me see if I have this right…

Hendo, Shogun & now Jones have all turned down fights in the past year. But it’s Jones that lacks the warrior spirit.

That about right?

• Big Stank says:

I can’t stand when a champion says a guy is undeserving of a title shot. Dude, ur the champ, beat the shit out of whoever they put in front of you and ask for another ass to kick!

• darth_irritable says:

So the issue I have with this rests on several points:
    1. He won the belt himself off of a short-notice replacement.
    2. Bisping took the same fight on 8 days notice and barely lost. Does anyone really believe Jones is in any danger from an out-of-shape Sonnen, who is a lighter, less dangerous version of Hendo, thus requiring a re-plan? Does anyone really consider Bisping in the same league as Jones? Didn’t think so.
    3. Assuming he was told that this could result in a cancellation, to screw the other fighters was kind of a dick move. No he doesn’t owe them anything, but given the low risk, this was not a cool move.
    4. He could actually lose both his Nike and UFC sponsorships over this. Doesn’t look like such a good career move if that happens.
    5. When he finally loses the belt, Dana is going to Fitch his career before putting a belt back on this guy.

Also, trying to paint Jones as a man of principle is BS too – since he’s said he’ll fight Sonnen: “Whether Chael Sonnen actually deserves a title shot really isn’t my place to say. But if he wants to fight on Sept. 22, then I’m fine with that.”.

Doesn’t make Dana any less of a douche for his comments, but Jones is forever tarnished in my mind.

• raker says:

“To take a fight with a different opponent in which I would basically have three days of training before traveling and then starting to cut weight I just thought would be the dumbest idea ever. I wouldn’t have been properly prepared.”

Goes to show that he will be a liability in the future if a situation like this happens again. He wont fight anyone else on short notice according to this. I agree with Darth….Dana is going to Fitch him at some point. I’m reminded of Tito’s recent retirement and how it was discussed how the Hall of Famers helped to build the company to what it is today. You want to be remembered and honoured like a Liddell, a Franklin or a Couture…then get your ass in there and be the fan favourite, the company guy, the champ who will take on all comers. Legends are made of people like that. The others are forgotten, perhaps after being Fitched.

Time out, boys.

What happened to all the people who are stoked to see Machida get another shot at Jones, and upset that Jones had the gall to suggest otherwise?

Well now we get that fight!!! And surely Machida is more deserving of the shot than Chael, yes?

Or maybe people arent that excited about Jones-Machida II after all, and are more interested in bitching about Jon Jones.

• elsicilian says:

Chael Sonnen a legitimate challenger in the universe where fighting him would have resulted in the show not being cancelled. Period.

I’m always stoked to see Machida fight Richard

• Lord Faust says:

Indeed, I am excited to see Machida back already. Too bad he won’t have anything close to a full camp, but I’d wager he’s the sort who doesn’t let himself go.

By the way, from the interview Alpha linked, this seems especially relevant:

In Henderson, Jones was preparing for a relentless warrior with a right hand capable of stopping any man. In Sonnen, he would be facing a southpaw who relies in his superior wrestling technique to put opponents on their back and eat ground-and-pound blows.

Jones said he didn’t feel like what ultimately boiled down to just a few days was near enough time to prepare for such a drastic change – especially with the majority of his coaching staff committed to spending most of fight week in the Philippines to corner Andrei Arlovski at ONE FC 5.

“Chael is completely different fighter,” Jones said. “This is war. This is strategy. You have to go in there prepared and know that you did your homework. I wouldn’t be the same warrior if I just jumped in there blindly and was cutting weight while I was trying to prepare for the fight.

“Greg Jackson wasn’t going to show up until Friday. Coach (Mike) Winkeljohn wasn’t going to be there until Wednesday or Thursday. I would have been pretty much on my own trying to prepare for a new opponent. That’s just not the best way to prepare.”

Aside from, again, the obvious fact that Jones does not decide a PPV is cancelled, his boss does.

• Lord Faust says:

I agree. I’m upset with the UFC cancelling the entire event. What does this have to do with Jones not fighting one specific guy.

• elsicilian says:

Also, while Jones might *think* it’s in his best interest to scuttle the show instead of facing Sonnen on short notice, it’s really not in his best interest to piss off the fans, piss off the UFC brass, piss off his sponsors, and piss off the other fighters. All you guys defending him are entitled to your opinion, and time will tell how bad the fallout actually is; but personally, I have lost all respect for the guy, and I believe this move has indelibly tarnished his image, while it has earned him the enmity of the sport’s power brokers.

• Lord Faust says:

There would be a vastly different view on this if the last couple weeks had not featured Jones making a bunch of PR missteps.

Also, let’s take a look at the UFC 151 and 152 cards and ask “why were both of these PPVs in the same month”?

Jones turned down a fight; that’s one issue. The UFC cancelled a PPV; that’s a separate issue. Zuffa has been extremely lucky to salvage several PPVs this year but their thin roster — thanks to injuries and satisfying all of their broadcast requirements — and heavy schedule are catching up to them. This is a shitty way to learn that lesson but, seriously what other answer is there when one fight completely scraps a card that’s been in the works for months.

Either the UFC management is incompetent (not buying it), or they’re putting on so many shows that they can’t even swap in new fights to make a card saleable after the main event crumbles. Yes, this is a freak circumstance but there have to have been other options; the last two PPVs were marred by numerous injuries, took a hit on the PPV buys, but ultimately went on as planned.

• AlphaOmega says:

…He didnt cancel the show, the UFC did. I don’t know what job you have, but would your boss close down for the entire day just because you called in sick at the last minute?

• raker says:

“I’m stoked for Jones-Machida II. Definitely a better fight than Chael, and Machida has a better chance stylistically. Doesn’t make me feel any better about today’s events though.”

“So Machida is more deserving of the shot, and that fight is now booked & ready to go in a few weeks. But you’d have felt better about today if…. Jones was fighting Chael instead? I don’t get it.”

• Richard Stabone says:

I’m defending Jones for making a sound decision for himself & his career. Just as I was fine with Hendo turning down a fight earlier this year, and I was one of few to stick up for Shogun turning down the Teixeira fight not long ago.

I was shocked to find out the fight (and entire event) was canceled. Obviously a huge bummer. And the fan in me would have loved to see the event somehow salvaged, and it would have been entertaining watching Jones toy with Chael.

But I can’t ignore the reality of the situation and pretend that’s how things actually *should* have gone down.

I’d have loved Dana decided to move Ellenberger-Hieron to this card, switch it from PPV to free/cable TV, eat the cost associated with PPV contracts & whatever else, to *do the right thing* for the fans & the other fighters on the card. You can’t tell me that would be impossible. The UFC has plenty of resources to pull the strings to make that happen.

But while it’s a neat idea too, it’s also a silly one.

This card got jacked by Hendo’s injury, and the UFC had no solid contingency plan, instead getting caught with their pants down. Shit happens.

• raker says:

“He didnt cancel the show, the UFC did. I don’t know what job you have, but would your boss close down for the entire day just because you called in sick at the last minute?”

If you were what people were paying to see…yup!

• Richard Stabone says:

“Machida is more deserving of a LHW title shot..I dont think that anyone would dispute that. Jones turned down a fight with Chael today however. Thats what I dont like. He was asked to help save a fight card by taking a different oipponent on short notice and he declined. I can’t stand Sonnen but at least he was willing to step up and make it happen on short notice.

Sorry, but that sounds wishy-washy. After Hendo’s injury, there have been only two plausible outcomes we know of — Jones vs. Chael or Jones vs. Machida. Which is the better option?

To me it’s painfully obvious.

• elsicilian says:

@Faust – This card was basically a Jon Jones showcase, so the show was entirely in Jones’ hands (that’s the responsibility that goes along with being the UFC champion). He had the choice of a) making the best of a bad situation, and accepting ANY reasonable fight that would let the show go on (as many other headliners have had to do in many previous instances) or b) refusing the fight and scuttling the show.

You are of course free to disagree, but in my opinion (and the opinion of most fight observers, apparently) Chael Sonnen was a perfectly reasonable substitute; yet Jones refused to fight him, and therefore must bear the brunt of the responsibility for the show’s cancellation.

• Richard Stabone says:

“Also according to frontrowbrian on twitter, Machida was offered the shot at Jones on this card, but hadn’t given an answer yet when they got a hold of chael, and then all of this happened.

Ah, thanks for passing that tidbit along…I wondered why that hadn’t been mentioned, at least trying to bump Machida up to save this event, since he & Jones are now booked for a few weeks later anyway.

But from Machida’s perspective, those few extra weeks are significant. To me having him face Jones again less than a year removed from being choked unconscious is a big stretch as it is. If they were to further force the issue by rushing Machida into the bout it would pretty much be a joke. So I still think this is the best available option….the lesser of evils.

• Lord Faust says:

The thing is — and so far I would argue they’ve held true — Dana had specifically criticised boxing promoters for selling overpriced PPVs for the purpose of one fight. Aside from the way Dana handled the situation, he basically admitted he has zero faith in the rest of the card. Is he worried about not impressing Vegas, whereas Canada and Brazil should just be lucky the UFC bothered to come to town? Like I said above, there’s so much more to this than Jones just not wanting to fight Chael — for debatable reasons.

The lesson of 2012, if nothing else has been “don’t count on the main event” thanks to a rash of injuries, you’d figure they at least considered this might happen. If Jones was the guy hurt, what would they do? Since apparently Chael Sonnen is the only guy who was available… I can’t excuse that kind of sloppy planning.

• Richard Stabone says:

If Dana White had guaranteed Jon Jones $5 million to fight Chael, do you think he would have turned it down?

Yeah that’s extreme, but this is an extreme situation. The whole event is jacked by Hendo’s injury, the original contract is in the shitter, and it was back to the negotiating table, with Jones holding all the leverage.

If Jones was going to go against the advice of his trainers, and agree to fight a new opponent on short notice, why shouldn’t the UFC have had to take a similarly drastic financial risk? You think they put their neck out there at all? Of course not…Dana makes rigid demands, and if guys don’t fall in line he gets pissy and spouts off to the media.

It’s all Jon Jones’ fault. Oy.

• Richard Stabone says:

“If Jones was the guy hurt, what would they do? Since apparently Chael Sonnen is the only guy who was available… I can’t excuse that kind of sloppy planning.

Exactly.

Dan & Chael wouldn’t fight each other, so then what? You think Dan would be willing to fight some guy on 8 days’ notice and risk losing his title shot? Given the fact Dan turned a fight down earlier this year himself, highly doubtful.

But it’s Jones’ fault.

• AlphaOmega says:

Currently 104 comments (105 technically, unless someone posts at the same time)

I do believe that’s the most comments on any article I’ve seen here since I started lurking many yrs ago.

• AlphaOmega says:

dammit richard, you screwed my count up

• AlphaOmega says:

And If Jones had gotten hurt they would of thrown hendo and someone else into an interim title fight, hendo wouldn’t of turned that down

• Richard Stabone says:

Nah, it wouldn’t have warranted an interim belt. We’re obviously dealing with hypotheticals at this point and some silly speculation, but if we simply turn things upside down and it’s Jones with the partially torn MCL, it’s (likely) not gonna be a devastating recovery time…

Stealing this from another random site…

Recovery times differ depending on the severity of the injury:

• A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports.

• A grade 2 tear can take from two to four weeks to heal.

• A grade 3 tear usually takes from four to eight weeks to heal, unless it is associated with damage to the ACL, in which case the recovery time may be longer.

• Richard Stabone says:

Stealing this from another random site…

Recovery times differ depending on the severity of the injury:

• A grade 2 tear can take from two to four weeks to heal.

• Richard Stabone says:

Dang…I might have screwed up and caused the rest of the comments in this article to be in italics…

testing…

• Richard Stabone says:

OK, nevermind. Now I’m artifically inflating the comment count…giving it the TRT treatment.

• AlphaOmega says:

All of those are based off of a healthy person who doesn’t need TRT though right? What about someone who’s 40+ and takes TRT I wonder.

• Richard Stabone says:

Probably would cut down the recovery time.

TRT injection, pop a couple aspirin, call me in the morning. Boom.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

First post with 100+ comments in recent knowledge.

• raker says:

Just read at sherdog and bloody elbow that Lyoto turned the fight down and Vitor is now taking on Jones at UFC 152… True or BS? What a day!!

• Richard Stabone says:

No idea if there’s any truth to that but, either way, anyone else notice how guys holding a belt or in a #1 contender spot are much more apt to turn down a fight under questinable circumstanes than guys who are not in the immediate title mix?

I wonder why that is and how the warrior spirit fits in there.

• Richard Stabone says:

Which BTW wouldn’t be Lyoto’s first time turning down a fight either.

But Jones is the weenie and it’s all his fault.

• Richard Stabone says:

So apparently Jones said he’d be fine fighting Chael at the later Sept event, but DW stated he’d face Lyoto then instead, but Lyoto declined and it’s now Vitor moving up to face Jones at LHW instead of Belcher at MW as previously planned.

OMG…see what you’ve DONE jonny??

• raker says:

When you’re the champ, there are limited options and it impacts an entire card.. Yeah.. He’s a weenie. Maybe It’s Lyotos wifes birthday… Who knows. Jones just didn’t want to fight, period!

• darth_irritable says:

Again Richard, the difference is Jones who had a contract inked for 8 days out and was prepped and trained for a full camp, against Sonnen, a Middleweight who was out of shape (suspended until August 7 with no contact until July 29), so no way was he in true fighting shape.

So Machida, who was NOT at the tail end of a full camp turned it down. Would you step in against Jones at short notice, having been beaten in brutal fashion by him once already? No – you’d want time to prepare.

Fully trained, and taking a fight on short notice against a not prime condition guy a division lower, is not apples and apples with refusing to begin a full training camp for a fighter three months out when there are multiple options available to you, and the company hasn’t spent millions in marketing posters and TV spots with you all over it.

Doesn’t excuse Shogun, but Hendo’s position was completely justified. He accepted the named opponent – Jones, and waited for it.

• Richard Stabone says:

Vitor: “I just finish the call with my boss @lorenzofertitta and @danawhite I want to thank booth for put me in where a lot of guys are acting like divas I think this is a big challenge for any fighter that is alive on the game I thank God to provide me with this Blessing 2 fight the youngest champion we will face each other I have all the respect for jones thats why u can`t miss this competition a vintage and hy-tech fight Glory to Jesus  also happy for all the fans I will not let no one down I come from the times of #carlsongracie He live inside of me I learn so much thing with him and #alstankie”

So that’s that.

• Richard Stabone says:

Time for sleep…but I want Belcher vs. Weidman!!!

• raker says:

I agree and actually just said the same thing on the Vitor/Jones thread.

• Big Stank says:

Mr. Conlan… Was the answer to the trivia question Jones vs Rua?