Anderson Silva volunteered services for UFC 151 appearance

As disappointing as yesterday’s situation surrounding the cancellation of UFC 151 was, it seems the UFC had an extremely good nugget of news fall into its lap during the fallout from things albeit a bit too late. Apparently, middleweight champ Anderson Silva called UFC President Dana White after the irate executive announced the organization had axed the September 1 show and stated he would step up to fight at the event as a light heavyweight (though not against Jon Jones).

MMAFighting confirmed Silva’s offer with White who said he was both surprised and appreciative of the Brazilian’s willingness to compete on such short notice. No specific opponent was ever discussed based on the wheels already having been put in motion as far as calling off the card.

Silva, who admitted to White he wasn’t in shape to slim down to his regular fighting weight, is currently sitting on the sidelines while waiting to see how 170-pound champion Georges St-Pierre fares against Carlos Condit in November in hopes of a potential super-fight between the two. He is not expected to compete again in 2012.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

and yet they still cancelled the event and blamed everything on Jones.
    hmmmm

• Dufresne says:

The more facts that come out about this, the more I’m wondering why the hell they canceled the entire card. It’s starting to seem like there were some other issues going on and Jones just happened to be the easiest one to blame.

• Screenplaya says:

Yes, this revelation does seem to cement the fact that Jones is clearly not the bad guy, here, and it is all just a huge case of UFC mismanagement coupled with some classic Dana White hot-headed mistakes.

• Oh wow, to think if we had a chance to see Anderson step up to 205 and take on Jones to become the first two division champion in ufc history . and any party involved ( UFC or either fighter’s management hell if Joe Silva’s assistant was late on giving him the message ) dropped the ball, I think I might shed a tear over it. That would be tragic.

I think if that’s the case they should rebook the card

• Dufresne says:

Silva wouldn’t be fighting Jones at 205, but it sure seems like there were fighters out there willing to step in and prevent this collapse. Hopefully the real story comes out on why it was decided that scrapping an entire card was a better idea than simply changing the main event like they’ve done so many times in the past.

• elsicilian says:

Good on you Spider … it’s a crying shame Jon Jones doesn’t have the same champion’s attitude.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 10

• Lord Faust says:

it’s a crying shame Jon Jones doesn’t have the same champion’s attitude.

The same attitude lacked by Shogun and Machida. Clearly they do not want that belt.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 5

• JBAR says:

I in no way defend the UFC’s handling of this situation, they flat out screwed the pooch on this one. That however does not change my stance on Jones. I am sorry but to me the only guys that have earned the right to cherry pick their opponents are the guys who are at the end of a career and have already been there done that. Being the champ to me means you are ready and prepared to beat the hell out of ANYONE they put in front of you because to you it does not matter who the opponent is you feel you are going to destroy them. My stance would be different if they were asking him to move to an earlier event and he was not going to be able to complete his camp but this was simply an opponent change that fit his current training schedule.

I agree Chael has done nothing to deserve the shot but the article I read said that several LHW fighters were contacted and turned the fight down and Chael was willing to go. The whole cancelling of the event BS was not on Jones, that rests solely on the UFC but in the last 2 weeks you have had Jones whining about Machida and now this. If he would just shut up and continue to beat the hell out of everyone put in front of him he could quickly achieve a level of greatness in this sport that very few have. I love fighters and I could give 2 shits less about a business man.

• Lord Faust says:

Dude, Machida backed out. How is that Jones’ fault?

Machida even had a month to prepare.

Personally, I don’t fault either guy but the inconsistency in people’s logic is just ridiculous.

Jones doesn’t take a fight on 8 days notice == coward. Machida doesn’t take a fight with Jones on a months notice == somehow this is Jones’ fault.

Disliking a guy does not mean everything is his fault.

Besides, he’s fighting Vitor now. He hasn’t picked his opponents, just when he will accept a bout agreement. Big difference.

• AlphaOmega says:

So..the UFC got a gifted back up plan shortly after Dana blew up at the conference call, and they said no? Why didn’t they take A.S up on his offer and salvage something of this card? Instead of just continuing with the cancellation and letting Jones take all the heat for it being cancelled.

• JBAR says:

Dude, Machida backed out. How is that Jones’ fault?

Machida even had a month to prepare

Faust, can you explain this part to me, I may have missed something. Dan just pulled out yesterday so how would Machida have had a month to prepare?

• AlphaOmega says:

I think he means for the 22nd fight, which is almost a month, one day short

• JBAR says:

it’s a crying shame Jon Jones doesn’t have the same champion’s attitude.

I would say that it is a little different, Jones has had a full training camp and all that was asked was for a change in opponent. That is different than cutting a camp short to face the champ who had a full camp. I do agree that they should have jumped at the opportunity but it is a little different situation.

• AlphaOmega says:

I can understand Machida not taking the fight more so then Shogun, Machida’s last fight with Jones was on short notice as well, and he got choked out. I don’t think he wants a repeat of that, at least I hope he doesn’t want a repeat of that.

• JBAR says:

I didn’t catch that part Omega, I was thinking about him turning down the 151 fight which I could see but there should be no reason to turn one down with a month to adjust.

• raker says:

Sheee-it! We could have seen Anderson fight Chael again as they seem to be the only guys willing to fight.

• MCM says:

I would have liked to have seen Silva/Sonnen 3 at LHW. But I can’t blame the UFC for turning down the Silva offer. Contrary to what most of us think, these guys don’t come out and give press conferences when their are still options on the table. It says that A.S. made the call to the UFC AFTER they had pulled the show. I don’t think Zuffa and their affiliates could have un-cancelled 151 at that point. Perhaps if Silva would have been contacted before they start the cancellation it would have worked out, but I don’t think he was on their radar for this card. Hopefully the UFC learns from this and tries every possible angle, no matter how far fetched it may seam, next time they wind up in a similar situation.

• JabCrossHook says:

Shogun just came out of a 4 round war with Vera not that long ago so I doubt he’s even medically cleared or completely recovered from that fight. Machida was barely touched in the Bader fight so I could understand people getting mad at him for not taking the fight but Machida isn’t stupid. He doesn’t want to waste his title shot as he fought Jones on a late notice before. He was the only one to win a round against Jones so I’d much rather see him go through an entire training camp for a rematch.

I can see why Jones declined the fight with Chael, as he doesn’t deserve it and gets title shots with his mouth, and Jones doesn’t like him at all. I also agree he has no business stepping in to fight Jones for the title with a loss at MW and no fights at LHW but the hypocrisy is why did Jones agree to fight Vitor instead? Vitor hasn’t had a fight at LHW for a few years now. Makes no sense and if anything Vitor is more dangerous because of his speed and power than Chael who’s wrestling will be negated by Jones.

• AlphaOmega says:

I think at this point Jones is just like I’ll fight whoever on the 22nd if it stops you all from bitching at me.

• AlphaOmega says:

Plus according to Jones, his main reason for refusing the fight is he’d have 3 days to train against a new opponent before cutting weight, at least with the 22nd, he has a month to change his training camp a little for whoever they give him.