Ronda Rousey: “I really don’t think it’s unreasonable for me to expect that when she’s not doing steroids she would lose some weight.”

Strikeforce champion Ronda Rousey hasn’t necessarily been on the offensive where trash-talk towards Cristiane Santos is concerned, but she certainly hasn’t been afraid to defend herself either when verbally attacked. In that vein, Rousey stopped by SportsCenter last week where she responded frankly when asked for her opinion on the growing rivalry.

As far as Santos’ stance about the potential pairing taking place at 145 pounds based on a supposed inability to slim down, Rousey remained equally adamant regarding her reasoning for demanding the bout occur at bantamweight.

“I really don’t think it’s unreasonable for me to expect that when she’s not doing steroids she would lose some weight,” explained Rousey. “She really disgraced herself and her sport and her country by cheating all those years, and I really don’t think the best way to deal with it is to reward her with a title-shot with all the considerations that she wants.”

“I think it’s her only option. I have plenty of other options so if she doesn’t want to do it then I’ll do something else,” she added nonchalantly.

Rousey also addressed the recent situation involving Jon Jones’ decision to turn down a fight with Chael Sonnen on late notice, thus prompting the UFC to cancel an upcoming event. While “Rowdy Ronda” stated she would have likely agreed to the match-up regardless of the specifics, she also admitted she might feel differently if she had the same responsibilities Jones does.

“If Dana called me right now and said, ‘Hey, we’re gonna need you to go to the back and fight Cris Cyborg with a 40-pound weight deficit and all you guys get is duct tape on your hands,’ I would’ve been like, ‘Can I be there in ten minutes? I’ve gotta stretch first’,” Rousey joked.

Check out the complete interview with Rousey below:

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/ESPN

• sdouglasmc says:

I really, really like Ronda and I can go along with a lot of her tough talk most of the time… except now.

She claims she’d only fight CC if CC cuts weight and gets tested but then claims she’d fight her out back with a 40# weight differential if Dana White asked? Would she fight her in the ring for money if Dana White asked?

I’m very confused, what am I missing?

• AlphaOmega says:

Was the article changed? I could of swore the first time I read it, that it said gina carono and not cyborg out back. I could of just missread it somehow though.

• darth_irritable says:

Yeah, her cyborg comments are a bit disingenuous, given her previous competition at 145 (and heavier).

I think she knows Cyborg’s not coming down, so she’s relying on that to run her mouth. I genuinely believe she knows what Cyborg will be handing to her if they do fight – and we’ve all seen it now, thanks to ESPN.

• Lord Faust says:

Rhonda doesn’t know what she wants, except attention.

Very clever, hiding behind something that can’t be proven; i.e. not doing steroids. She tested positive once, people can hide behind the “tainted legacy” and “oh, she’s just got better PEDs now” cop-outs; regardless of the fact Cyborg has been doing additional testing outside of the commission requirements.

And yes, she said “I want her to cut weight … unless someone tells me that’s not an option”. Pick a story, Rhonda. (And count your blessings Cyborg isn’t coming into your house to take your lunch. I’ll take the scary woman over the tough girl any day.)

• Creature says:

I was never the biggest fan of Cyborg and usually rooted against her.. but man i would love to watch her put the beating of a lifetime on Rhonda and hopefully shut her the hell up for a while.

• MCM says:

“…..I really don’t think the best way to deal with it is to reward her with a title-shot with all the considerations that she wants.”

Am I mistaken, hasn’t Rhonda been the one calling out Cyborg? Isn’t this whole debacle her doing? Now she’s nonchalant about whether the fight happens?

• RicM says:

……….I would laugh my ass off if all along Cyborg has been slowly cutting weight to make 135…….Rousey is another over-hyped pin-up girl who has some moves…..anyone remember Gina Carano?? She wasn’t the same after Cyborg destroyed her….say what you will about Cyborg’s “tainted past”….to survive in Chute Box, ya gotta be a killer, and thats EXACTLY what Cyborg is….Rhonda best be careful what she asks for…….

• AlphaOmega says:

In all fairness Ric, Gina wasn’t the same after she started doing American Gladiator and let the hype get to her head, once she started doing all the photoshoots and American Gladiator, she stopped training hard or even cutting weight right. Then once Cyborg destroyed her, I think that was the final nail in the mma coffin.

• darth_irritable says:

Ric, I would LOVE if Cyborg trundled up to a press conference at 135 and pulled a clubber lang. Watching Rousey poop herself would be priceless.

• elsicilian says:

Ronda is calling out Cyborg, but as she says plainly: “I really don’t think the best way to deal with it is to reward her with a title-shot with all the considerations that she wants.”

Ronda has all the leverage, and she’s using it … she knows damn well that Cyborg/Rousey is the fight that has to happen, and she wants to make sure that when it does, all the advantages go her way. Good for you, Ronda … make that steroid freak kill herself to cut to135, then twist her dehydrated arm right out of its socket.

• elsicilian says:

And for the record, I think we can all agree that Cyborg is much more Ivan Drago than Clubber Lang.

• Angry Mike says:

This whole debate is pointless right now. Cyborg’s suspended, and she’s not listed as a fighter on the Strikeforce web page. So she has to serve out her suspension, return to Strikeforce and cut down to 135 lbs. Then everyone can compare her to Rousy, or compare Rousy to her.

• I dont see why everyone assumes Cyborg would run through Rowdy….so far Rowdy is the one with the more impressive record, ALL finishes within the first frame. Cyborg is a killer, no doubt, but Rhonda is a more proven athelete. The first time we had a monumental WMMA fight, it didnt live up to the hype as Cyborg just smashed on Gina. I want this to happen, I think Cyborg might have her ass handed to her….or rather, her arm handed back to her on a platter.

So far no one has been able to stop Rousey…even though they know what’s coming. Both are scary.

• king mah mah says:

Funny how a lot of people stick up for Cyborg when she’s juicing, but when it’s someone like Chael or Overeem they get hated on. Hypocrits!