Brendan Schaub scheduled for fight with Lavar Johnson at UFC on FOX 5

The UFC is poised to deliver an early Christmas present on December 8 when the promotion caps off their 2012 run on network television with UFC on FOX 5. Already set to feature a number of notable match-ups, the card will now boast a heavyweight bout between hard-hitters Brendan Schaub and Lavar Johnson.

UFC officials have confirmed the clash.

The 8-3 Schaub will be out to recapture the form he displayed after his run on TUF 10, winning four straight including strike-based stoppages against Mirko Filipovic and Gabriel Gonzaga. However, he has been on the wrong end of knockouts in his last two tilts including a first frame stumble against Ben Rothwell in April.

Johnson is also coming off an opening round loss, tapping out to Stefan Struve at UFC 146. Prior to the submission he’d won two in a row with finishes of Joey Beltran and Pat Barry. The Strikeforce veteran holds an overall record of 17-6 and owns stoppages against every opponent he’s beaten.

The increasingly stacked UFC on FOX 5 lineup is headlined by Benson Henderson putting his lightweight title on the line against Nate Diaz with other showdowns including Mauricio Rua-Alexander Gustafsson and Rory MacDonald-B.J. Penn.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Screenplaya says:

I hate to say it, but I think this will be a retirement party for Brendan. Lavar is probably going to walk through whatever Schaud throws and then collapse Brendan’s jaw.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and hope Schaub can be elusive.

• raker says:

Agreed! Schaub is on the way out. He showed terrific promise early but hasn’t been able to put together a good win streak. Judging by what I’ve seen, I done think he’ll handle Lavars power very well.

• fanoftna33 says:

Brendan better work on some takedowns pronto.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

If Schaub is smart he’ll focus on using some of that wrestling/BJJ he’s always talking about, cause I agree he’s going to sleep the instant Johnson puts paws on his chin.

• raker says:

Yeah…. I don’t remember seeing Schaubs ground game, which seems to be pretty solid, since TUF.

• Big Stank says:

I believe Schaub hit an anaconda choke on TUF. He won’t stand a chance trading with Lavar. He needs to shoot faster than Couture vs Jame Toney

• Lord Faust says:

Like Stank says, Schaub has a chance but he needs to forget his delusions of being a striker. (Technique or no, he’s got the easiest OFF switch to find in the HW division.)