Georges St-Pierre gets green light from doctors to fight in November

UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre is one happy man right now. “Rush”, who has not fought since April 2011 due to knee issues including an ACL tear in December, recently received medical clearance to resume his decorated run inside the Octagon.

As a result of the news, GSP is officially on track to face interim title-holder Carlos Condit in Montreal at UFC 154 this November.

“(Monday) was the final chapter of my Road to Recovery – I’m now medically cleared to compete in professional mixed martial arts,” a clearly excited St-Pierre posted on Facebook. “Big thanks to all my fans for the amazing support during those 9 long months of rehab – couldn’t have done it without you.”

Fans last saw the 22-2 St-Pierre inside the Octagon against Jake Shields where he earned his sixth straight title-defense with a decision win. In the span since GSP was suppose to face Nick Diaz on two separate occasions, but the bouts never materialized for a handful of reasons. Instead, Condit ultimately earned the interim strap with a victory over Diaz to set up an in-ring meeting with St-Pierre.

“I’ve been lucky to work with such professional and kind people and I’ve learned a lot from them,” St-Pierre concluded on his current status. “It’s been an incredible experience. Rendez-vous le 17 novembre, UFC 154, Montreal!!!”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Richard Stabone says:

Finally.

The WW division is damn good as it is, but with GSP & Diaz both actually fighting it could be that much better.

• darth_irritable says:

Woohoo! A reinvigorated GSP gets my ass back in the PPV business :).

• THEGUNNER says:

I am a gsp fan but they should of stripped him for being out so long. I hope they dont think we love gsp so much they put him on a card as the only decent fight like hendo & jones. I really hope to see diaz vs gsp next year.

• Richard Stabone says:

With the benefit of hindsight, there’s a decent argument to be made that GSP should have been stripped of his belt since it turned out that he was sidelined for 18 months. But in reality, it was much less clear that he’d be on the shelf for so long.

GSP was booked to fight Nick Diaz during SB weekend, and it wasn’t until December that news of the ACL injury broke, knocking him out of the Diaz fight. Leading up to that point it would have made no sense to strip him of the belt, and by the time the major knee injury was revealed he had already been out of action for 7 months and was likely to return within a year. Stripping him at that point would seem kinda silly, especially when you’re talking about the 7x defending champion of the division.

It was just an unfortunate situation all around. Thankfully the champ is healthy and the WW belt will finally be in play once again.

• Richard Stabone says:

OK, I’ll ask it this way: *when* exactly should GSP been stripped of his belt?

• Richard Stabone says:

The WW division went thru quite a crazy period there for a while. Let’s recap…

April 2011: GSP successfully defends his belt for the 7th time by beating Jake Shields.

May 2011: DW announced GSP’s next title defense would be against Nick Diaz in October.

Meanwhile, Condit was booked to fight BJ Penn.

But then Diaz didn’t show up for any of his press appearances to promote the event. So DW yanked him from the title fight, with an eventual switcheroo pitting GSP vs. Condit and Penn vs. Diaz.

October 2011: GSP injured his knee, knocking him out of the Condit fight. Condit elected to wait for GSP’s (expected) return in early 2012, rather than fight someone else.

But after Nick Diaz beat the heck out of Penn, the UFC decided to make another switch and slid Diaz into the title fight opposite GSP, leaving Condit out in the cold.

(Let’s rewind some of this: DW brought Nick back to the UFC and granted him an immediate title shot. But Nick being Nick, he gave DW the proverbial Stockton double-bird by blowing off press appearances. DW being DW, he was pissed, spouted off to the press about Diaz, and pulled him from the title fight as fast as he had given it to him. BUT… a couple months later DW yanked the title shot from Condit that he thought he was getting in early 2012, instead giving it to Nick. Ah, Mr. White, you are quite the business man/promoter. Condit had to be wondering WTF was going on. Oh, but just wait, Carlos…more shite to come.)

December 2012: GSP’s injury is revealed to be much worse than originally thought, knocking him out of the Diaz fight on SB weekend. And now Carlos is pulled back into the mix to face Diaz.

Feb 2012: Condit won a unanimous decision over Diaz, but upset a lot of fans in the process by using a counter-attack approach rather than his usual aggressive style that has yielded the most impressive finish rate in the sport and the nickname “The Natural Born Killer.”

Oh, and the UFC created a fake belt to create more hype for that event after GSP had been knocked out. So Carlos won that. And Nick “retired.”

Just days after the event, DW announced that Condit would be fighting Diaz in a rematch. And people were like, “Alright, cool, cuz that homie didn’t beat Diaz and shouldn’t get to fight GSP.” But shortly thereafter Diaz trainer Cesar Gracie was like, “Nope, no rematch.” So then people wondered if Nick was loco and was gonna actually retire or something. Turns out, NSAC was about to hit him with a suspension for marijuana… long story short, Nick was slapped with a year ban.

That made people mad. And people were still upset with how Carlos had fought in the fight against Nick. So they were all like, “Yo, that mofo better fight again before his title shot. What a bitch.” And so there was lots of noise about forcing Condit to fight again, which would have been against #1 contender at the time Jake Ellenberger, whom Condit had narrowly defeated in a previous bout.

But Carlos, having been thru a wee bit of drama in recent months as he tried to get that elusive title shot, opted to wait for GSP to return. So Ellenberger fought Kampmann and got KO’d in a wild fight.

In the midst of all this, Johnny Hendricks had KO’d Fitch in mere seconds and then picked up split decision victory over Koscheck.

But people were still like, “C’mon mang, Condit should have to fight again. Defend the fake belt, homie!” But by this point, would he fight Kampmann or Hendricks? And whoever was the odd man out ifrom that mix, who would he fight? And then when GSP was ready to return in November as had been speculated for a while, would he wait around longer for these other fights to play out & the winner to recover?

Eventually, as GSP put out fancy videos showing how well he was recovering & doing some pretty sweet kicks, the noise died down. So GSP will defend his title against Carlos Condit in November, and Kampmann and Hendricks will square off on the same card to determine the #1 contender.

Nick Diaz is riding his bike & swimming & shit. It’s whatever, homie.

And that is your look back at the last year+ in the WW division.

• raker says:

You have waaaaaayyyyy too much time on your hands.

• Richard Stabone says:

^ guilty as charged

• raker says:

• MCM says:

So, THEGUNNER says GSP should have been stripped and he gets mostly thumbs down, then Richard Stabone says GSP shouldn’t have been stripped and He gets mostly thumbs down. WTF?!?

• Lord Faust says:

Apparently Anderson wants to fight GSP win, lose or draw after the Condit fight.

I can’t wait to see the machinations surrounding that fight, if it ever happens.

• raker says:

MCM says:
    August 28, 2012 at 8:45 pm

“….. there’s a decent argument to be made that GSP should have been stripped of his belt since it turned out that he was sidelined for 18 months.”

That was worth a thumbs down in my books although I agree with most of the rest of the post. I don’t think there was any argument to be made to strip the champ of his belt. Refuse to fight? Sure! Violate your contract? Ok! Get injured in training? Not a chance.

• Lord Faust says:

The only thing I truly find preposterous is Condit’s “interim” title. It will never be defended.

• MCM says:

Oh, I see how people can agree or disagree with each post. But usually there is an even amount of “likes” for the opposite of someones “dislikes”. I don’t recall the last time I saw Both sides of the argument get a majority of thumbs down.
    Not trying to force anyone to justify their opinions, just pointing out a strange anomaly.

• raker says:

I usually post from my phone and my fat fingers sometimes press the thumbs down when I mean to do a thumbs up.

• MCM says:

For the record, I personally think GSP should have been stripped. As of today though, that’s neither here no there and I’m just glad he’s coming back and am excited to see the WW division finally start moving again.

I know GSP is smart enough to train properly and I don’t expect any “accidents” in training, but I will say that IF something happens and he’s unable to fight Condit in Nov, I think he should relinquish the title. He has already stated that he considers Carlos to be the rightful title holder, and any further delay of defending the belt only leads to a larger backup in the division. It’s also not unheard of for the UFC to strip titles do to injury.

• raker says:

When has the UFC ever stripped a title due to injury?

• MCM says:

Frank Mir. Completely different circumstances, same results. It’s not Apples to Apples, but it’s still a champion physically unable to defend his belt.

Like I said though, I think GSP is smart enough to properly and understands his body better than most other professional athletes, so I don’t think there should be any problem with him defending the belt in Nov.

• darth_irritable says:

The only reason to strip GSP is to put a title on Condit that he’d actually defend. That said – it was the UFC’s decision not to book him.

• Rich, great recap but I have a fair answer to your previous question. To be fair to all champions I think if you’re unable to defend your title in one years time you should have it taken away. This is a growing sport and the division must move on. The term interim champion cheapens the belt around the title holders waist and always leaves a bad taste in the fans mind that the current belt holder is no more than a temp until the real champ returns.
    While waiting on georges Carlos could’ve fought kampmann or ellenberger in two of the few rematches id actually pay to see or Hendricks which would be interesting and still could’ve had the winner fight gsp upon his scheduled return by years end and gsp would have a legitimate claim to fight for the title he never lost making for a great storyline either way with our current champ finally proving his claim to the title OR Gsp making his triumphant return to regain what he was never beaten for

• Lord Faust says:

Given half a year or so to reflect on the fallout of Diaz -vs- Condit, I think it’s abundantly clear that the UFC tries to make the future happen the way they want. It seems obvious that Condit was supposed to lose to Diaz, setting up the eventual big money fight between the two most diametrically opposed (personality-wise) fighters in MMA.

Then Diaz lost. Then he ran afoul of the NSAC for having the audacity to have smoked marijuana and enjoyed it! I wrote a small book’s worth on the original thread for the NSAC hearing about that, so I won’t repeat myself.

So, now the UFC is stuck with Condit holding this belt that wasn’t supposed to exist, waiting to fight GSP — who wasn’t supposed to get hurt, let alone twice — and basically shelved the WW title until GSP came back. Even worse, is the WW division has not exactly been given a lot of attention, so if GSP comes back and beats Condit, he’s right back to sitting atop a division with no real challengers. (Yes, there are a couple of guys like Hendricks and Kampmann making waves, but if GSP is back to his old self, neither of those guys strike me as “the one to finally upset GSP” barring a Matt Serra moment.)

Maybe I’m being overly cynical, but the WW division could have benefited from GSP’s absence, opening up room to build up the credibility of the other top fighters. Instead, Condit stayed home, Diaz is suspended, and GSP was hurt so the UFC seems to have just ignored the situation and waited for November to pick up where we left off on March.

• raker says:

Mir…. Right. Different circumstances for sure. I’d hate to see that become the norm.

• Lord Faust says:

It’s easy to forget how borderline miraculous Mir’s return to MMA — or walking even — really is. I try not to forget that, regardless of how he performs in the cage.

• Richard Stabone says:

To be clear, I don’t think GSP should have been stripped. I simply mentioned the only way I see a decent argument for it is if the UFC had Miss Cleo on their payroll to tell them back in mid-2011 that GSP was going to be out for 18 months. But of course that’s not reality, and instead the UFC had GSP booked in a title fight for SB weekend 2012… I’m simply pointing out it’s east to 2nd guess after the fact but important to deal in reality.

So by the time GSP’s ACL injury was revealed–in late 2011/early 2012–I suppose they *could* have stripped him, given the severity of the ACL injury, but since his return was likely to happen during 2012 I just don’t think that would have made much sense. I mean, we’re talking about a legend of the sport who’s current run includes 7 consecutive title defenses. Everyone knows he’s the king of the division; taking his belt away due to injury would have been a lame move, IMO.

Back to Condit… I think he took a tremendous amount of unfair criticism during the past year. Somewhat similar to Jon Jones, he’s been a victim of circumstances & shitty luck.

The UFC had Condit penciled in to fight GSP during SB weekend for the title. Then the opportunity was inexplicably taken away and awarded to Nick Diaz. But once GSP was ruled out due to the ACL, things fell into place for Condit to fight Diaz and–despite the unexpected/disappointing style of the fight–he came away with a victory in a fight that was certainly close but saw Condit land more strikes and all 3 judges score the decision in his favor. It wasn’t pretty, but it was a legitimiate win.

But he still wasn’t going to get his title shot at GSP. Dana had publicly announced that Condit would have to fight Diaz again before getting his crack at GSP’s belt. And Carlos accepted this.

But as circumstances would have it, Diaz would soon join GSP outside of the WW picture, getting slapped with a year ban.

At this point, riding a 5-fight winning streak that includes Ellenberger, Rory & Diaz, Condit said enough is enough and opted to wait for the elusive shot at GSP. In my view, no different than guys like Dan Henderson and Nate Diaz who earlier this year opted to wait for their title shot rather than take another fight. The only wrinkle in there is the interim belt, which is a rock of shit anyway, and Condit & his camp would be foolish to base their decision in this overall matter based on a fake belt the UFC created to boost their PPV numbers for the SB card.

I’m just glad this fight is finally drawing near.

• Richard Stabone says:

*crock

• MCM says:

thumbs down. I liked “rock” of shit better.

• Richard Stabone says:

Haha fair enough… I am the GD champion of thumbs down count. P4P #1 in a landslide.

• MCM says:

No you’re not. I don’t think you were posting here in the LiverPunch, MMALOGIC days. Them boys knew how to get thumbs down. 3 or 4 posts in an article and everyone would be hidden do to # of thumbs down. That’s how to do it.

• Richard Stabone says:

My heroes!

I do remember some of that action. I’ve been a regular reader since Caplan was running the ship and churning out most of the content, but took me quite a while to get more involved in the comments section. (And now look how much time I waste here, dammit!)

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t know about anyone else, but after MCM invoked some NAMES FROM THE DARK AGES, I threw a bunch of salt over my shoulder just in case.

• Richard Stabone says:

I do think the level of knowledge/insight reflected in the overall comments & discussion has grown with the sport, which I’d like to think is the reason I eventually became more interested in joining the mix myself. Seems like the comments section used to be overrun with pissing matches and “so & so sucks…NO, the other so & so REALLY sucks!!” type stuff, but now things are generally pretty interesting.

But we do still have the thumbs down warriors…wouldn’t be as much fun without ‘em I suppose.

• Richard Stabone says:

Who was the guy that left when the thumbs up/thumbs down system temporarily vanished? He used to get pretty upset when I’d rant about Chael. Hopefully he took my advice not to bet on Chael in the rematch.

• Lord Faust says:

I agree 100%. The level of discourse has definitely gone up.

I only actively engage in discussion on this site, and two others. It’s hard to find a place where people speak their opinions without approaching a discussion like a game or battle to be won.

I have no problems admitting I have odd views, and I have definitely changed by outlook thanks to posts from folks like yourself and MCM. Even elsicillian in the original UFC 151 cancellation thread lent a great perspective to the discussion, seeing as how he was going to the event.

In short: I am glad I have been visiting this place since well before you even had to make an account to comment.

• MCM says:

I think we can all High 5 ourselves for being part of an awesome community. To add to this conversation, even though Richard seems to have a few red button fans, I think the general idea of “thumbs down” has shifted since it’s reintroduction. Posters seem more likely to engage in discussion now as opposed to simply pushing a button. I think if LP came back, he wouldn’t get so many thumbs down, for as much as I disagreed with him, he could usually back up what he said.

Now enough of this kumbaya shit, let’s get back to telling each other why you’re wrong.

• Mah mah was just as good as logic at gettin thumbs down. But to be fair he enjoyed doing so.