Anderson Silva: “Even if St-Pierre loses a fight with me can happen.”

With news finally surfacing stating UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre has been cleared to return to competition it looks like his November date with interim title-holder Carlos Condit is a certainty barring unforeseen circumstances. It also appears a future meeting with Anderson Silva is set in stone, at least if “The Spider” has his say in the matter.

When asked about the possibility of facing GSP during a recent conversation with SporTV, Silva not only put the pairing on a pedestal above all other potential fights but said he’d be open to the match-up no matter what happens in St-Pierre’s fall meeting with Condit.

“Regardless of who wins, even if St-Pierre loses, a fight with me can happen. A fight like this is above anything else. St-Pierre is one of the greatest of the UFC. Right now, a fight with Condit is meaningless,” commented Silva (translation by Bloody Elbow).

The response from Silva seems to confirm the 37-year old is in the market for the biggest bouts possible rather than defending his title against worthy yet lesser-known contenders. The two longtime champions have been linked to a super-fight for a few years. Combined St-Pierre and Silva have compiled sixteen total title-defenses between them and won 25 consecutive clashes.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

Considering Condit would have to finish GSP to get the win (IMHO), or submit him — which I think is even less likely — this can be taken to mean “no, I’m serious about fighting this guy who weighs 20 lbs less than me, and even if he gets KTFO I’m still down to do it to him again!”

I doubt that’s what Anderson means, but I find it funny that he’s as vocal about fighting a guy smaller than him as he is mum about the notion of fighting Jon Jones — who, I would argue would make for a more exciting, more balanced fight.

Not to say GSP couldn’t defeat Silva, as his wrestling* is off the charts, he’s got the smartest game planners in the sport, and the athletic talent / dedication to implement whatever strategy is required to win such a fight. That said, I think the deck is significantly stacked against GSP; Silva’s size, technique, and guru-like fight awareness — seriously, check out the subtle trip he pulls on Chael after The Worst Spinning Backfist In MMA — are imposing challenges.

• Lord Faust says:

Shit, the asterisk was supposed to be a footnote reading “provided GSP’s knee is fully recovered and he’s able to get himself back into the form we saw prior.”

• Big Stank says:

If GSP loses wouldn’t this fight lose some of its allure? How do u hype a Super fight if one of the competitors is coming off a loss? Silva puzzles me in the fact he wants to be the GOAT but has recently said he’d fight opponents much smaller than him. (Diaz, St. Pierre) But has dismissed a fight with Jones who is almost his size and height. I think he wants to retire without any losses in the UFC. Who could blame him? But calling out smaller fighters doesn’t make u anymore of a badass.

• Lord Faust says:

I give him a bit of credit for basically saying “I want to make money in big fights” instead of contriving some kind of feud to achieve the same end. Still, that’s not saying much.

• raker says:

I’m beginning to wonder if after his fights with Chael that he is avoiding fighting big wrestlers…ie. Jones and Weidman. I know GSP has phenomenal wrestling but he is also considerably smaller and perhaps not as strong physically than some of these larger men. Also, in hyping big money fights like this makes me think that perhaps retirement is looming after another payday or two.

• Angry Mike says:

If the goal of a “super fight” is to make money, then a fight between GSP and Silva makes sense. It makes less sense if GSP’s knee is a chronic problem and/or he loses to Condit, which is a real possibility. If the goal of the “super fight” is to solidify a legacy as a/the greatest fighter, it doesn’t help Silva. Beating a smaller opponent isn’t that impressive. If he beats some legit light heavies or even some heavyweights, that would be impressive. And if GSP won or kept it close, then he could claim to be a better pound for pound fighter than Silva, especially after his knee injury.

• Sumoninja says:

And here we are in the midst of the transition from fringe sport to money-flush tv and sponsor ratings grabber spectacle. While I couldn’t be happier about the exposure and growth of MMA, the blatantly money driven matchups being requested by the tops guys leaves a bad taste. I agree that a GSP vs Silva fight makes sense, but so does a Silva vs Jones fight. Coming from the point of view of a fan, I don’t particularly like that the parties have leverage to say which takes place, especially when it’s pretty obvious Silva is lobbying for the easier matchups that still pay big. All that said, good on the fighters for making coin. It is what it is.

• Richard Stabone says:

I’d love to see GSP fight Silva, but I think GSP’s injury killed that idea. If he’d been fighting the past year & a half he very well could have been in a similar situation to Silva and Jones right now, with no obvious immediate challenger to his belt. And then maybe this thing would have legs… either as a catch weight bout or GSP looking to write a new chapter in his career/legacy by making the full-time move up to MW.

But GSP will have been out of action for 18 freakin months by the time he fights again, and the WW belt obviously needs to be back in the mix. Is Silva, at age 37, gonna sit around for the better part of a year waiting for this matchup to come to fruition? That’s as it is. Coupled with the obvious “super fight” opportunity with Jon Jones that is begging to be made and it’s become increasingly frustrating to hear Silva keep talking about GSP.

I mean, what the heck is Silva proposing here? A catch weight bout with no belts on the line? Or GSP moving up to MW to face him? (Which GSP has long said if he ever does will be a gradual process to properly change his diet, training, muscle mass, etc?

Get over it, Anderson… you’re old & getting older; figure out what’s next & move on.