Michael Bisping: “Jon Jones is a fantastic fighter, but I think the sign of a true champion is stepping up.”

UFC middleweight Michael Bisping has never held divisional gold but he certainly feel he has the characteristics of an individual with championship potential. However, while Bisping sees similarities between himself and current light heavyweight title-holder Jon Jones, one area he admittedly differs from the 205-pound king relates to his willingness to face all challenges head on.

Bisping sat down with Ultimate Insider this week where he joined the collective of people with an opinion on how Jones handled a recent situation where he was presented with a short-notice fight against Chael Sonnen and declined the bout despite having a number of advantages including size, strength, and preparedness. Bisping, who himself took a tilt with Sonnen with only a week to prepare, remained respectful of Jones in his assessment but still said Jones’ approach left him scratching his head.

“I have no problem with Jon Jones. Jon Jones is a fantastic fighter, but I think the sign of a true champion is stepping up,” explained Bisping. “You could say this is an easier fight than Dan Henderson. I for one am quite puzzled as to why he wouldn’t take the fight.”

When it came to his own experience with Sonnen, Bisping said it only took him a few minutes to figure out he was fine with the bout regardless of how much time he had to train for it.

“I said yes straight away. This is what I do – I’m a fighter. Being a fighter has afforded me a fantastic lifestyle and if that’s the fight the UFC wants to make then that’s the fight I’m gonna fight,” said the animated Brit, also adding he would do the same thing over again or even if presented with a chance to face Henderson despite being knocked out cold in their 2009 meeting. “If I could get the opportunity to fight him against I would relish the opportunity, and if I was offered it on eight days’ notice I would take it.”

For now, however, Bisping will focus on his fight with Brian Stann on September 22 at UFC 152 in hopes of getting one step closer to a title-shot and avoiding what he would label as an “incomplete” career.

Check out the complete interview with Bisping below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Angry Mike says:

Wrong again. The true sign of a champion is winning championship fights. Which Jones has done more than once. Bisping took the Sonnen fight on short notice, but that didn’t make him a champion because it wasn’t a championship fight.

• sides666 says:

i agree with bitchbing on this one. on a side note i would love to see hendo do it again :)

• Dr.Stoppage says:

The champ should show up to any championship fight presented to him.
    Treat every fight like a challenger, not like a man defending a belt.
    Too bad Bisping will never have that feeling in the UFC.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“A true sign of a champion is stepping up”

Since when? How often does take short notice fights? How about GSP or Jr?
    They must not be champions either.
    Bisping is an idiot.
    People are upset becuz the card was cancelled, not becuz Jones chose not to fight Sonnen. They need to seperate the 2 in their heads becuz THEY ARE seperate issues. If any champion was asked to take a dangerous opponent, who hadnt earned a shot on 8 days notice they would all say no. The cancelation of 151 was not Jons fault at the slightest. It was 100% the UFCs fault and now Jon Jones and the UFC will not be seeing eye to eye. Well done Dana.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

@MMA -LOGIC I hear what yer saying.
    But wouldn’t it jave been way cooler if Jones had said,” Yah, I’ll fight any fukker they put in front of me

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Sorry, I got cut off there.
    Jones was put on the spot, and he reacted in way that sends a negative vibe.
    He could’ve defended the title against all comers, but he’s protecting the belt instead.
    Who knows, maybe he has an undisclosed injury.

It just fukkin sucks that this fight ain’t happening, and I feel that ,in an event of this magnitude, the champ should shut up, show up, and fight his ass off, not fall into a ” ewwww we didn’t have time to train for this guy.”
    Suck it up, champ.
    Tell your trainer ,” LET’S FIGHT THIS DUDE OR ANY DUDE YOU PUT IN FRONT OF ME!”

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Then he should shout, “SHAAAAZAMMM!” at the top of his lungs, just to show how serious he is about the idea…cuz like, that’s what I would do.