Jon Jones contemplated paying UFC 151 salaries before personal attacks

There was no shortage of fighters willing to follow the lead of UFC President Dana White in throwing light heavyweight champion Jon Jones under the bus after “Bones” bought into the notion it was better for him to pass on a short notice fight with Chael Sonnen than take the tilt and risk defeat. Interestingly enough, it now seems that those angered by his actions may have actually jumped the gun.

According to a report from ESPN’s MMA Live, Jones initially felt so guilty about the ripple-effect of his decision he was actually willing to pay his peers for their troubles had they simply stayed quiet in the immediate aftermath of the situation. However, based on the “personal attacks” he kept both his mouth and his checkbook closed.

A number of competitors from among the group scheduled for the since-scratched UFC 151 immediately went online to voice their displeasure with the 25-year old title-holder, labeling him as being both selfish and a coward. Their comments came shortly after White blasted Jones in a conference call with media announcing the show had been axed.

All match-ups scheduled for UFC 151 have now been re-booked for future events.

Check out the full report from ESPN below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

I’m actually somewhat happy he didn’t do it. That would set a very awkward precedent.

• THEGUNNER says:

Im gonna laugh so hard if he loses to vitor. What is this riality tv? If u were gonna pay pay if not dont but dont be a media whore about it.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 2

• moosebaby02 says:

holy shit this ass clown needs to shut up. anyone can say “stuff” after the matter dosent mean he was going to and I really really doubt he was.

• raker says:

Not only did he distance himself from UFC brass and fans for refusing to fight Sonnen or short notice, he’s also going to isolate himself from his fellow fighters.

• Screenplaya says:

I continue to be stunned at people talking shit about Jones. He signed for a fight. He didn’t sign to fight just anyone. Was he really afraid of Sonnen? Uh, no. He would smash that punk. He chose not to fight an unworthy opponent who was already talking shit to him a week ago. At that time, Bones stated he would never let Sonnen talk his way into a shot at his title. Bones stood by those words.

Start demanding more of the UFC schedulers. This is a pro sport.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 15

• raker says:

Jones deserves everything he’s getting. I don’t believe for a second that it wasn’t communicated to him at some point that the entire card was in jeopardy if he didn’t take the fight. Everyone knows by now that injuries and late replacements are part of he sport. The late replacements have to be…. Otherwise we’d have cancellations constantly. He’s the champ, he had been training and was offered to fight Sonnen because he was the only one that would step up. I’m as baffled as Dana White.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 5

• darth_irritable says:

Screenplaya, the undeserving opponent argument holds no water since he said that he’d fight Sonnen 3 weeks later at 152, so there’s no way to make this an issue of taking the moral high ground.

Bottom line, he backed out of a fight at short notice against an opponent he would almost certainly have beaten.

While I personally find that disappointing given he’d previously stated he’d never turn a fight down, the decision – and all it’s ramifications – was his to make.

The issue is the way he’s presenting himself in the media and public forums – it makes him look like a bigger douchebag than Koschek.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 3

• MCM says:

I’ve changed my opinion (somewhat) of Jones over the past year. I don’t think he’s a douche bag, i just think he has the maturity level of a spoiled 13yr old. Saying “I was gonna pay you guys until you started being mean to me.” is some elementary school bullshit. He sounds like those Subway commercials where they take grown ass adults and make them talk and behave like children. Saying shit like this or asking Dana White to make Chael stop being mean to you on Twitter are the definition of immature.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 4

• Creature says:

This makes me wish even more that I could have gotten to watch Hendo punch this guy in the face.. I really hope Vitor finds a way to take it to Jones.

• THEGUNNER says:

ive had plenty of days of work that someone dont show and I have to so some thing thats not in my job description or a straight up lower position and do it because its work. I dont just say ” hey im better than that” & grab my tools and go home.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

No doubt your job is 100% similar to that of a guy who risks being punched in the face repeatedly on live television in front of a million people.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 11

• moosebaby02 says:

No my job dosent require me to get punched in the face repeatedly on live television in front of a million people. But it does require me to handle dangours and explosive materials everyday and when the man who signs may check at the end of the week ask’s me to do something I do it cause even if im not making the big $$$$ he still signs my check so I can get paid and go home an order fights on PPV and put my $$$ in the pockets of the people who entertain me like I was suppose to be tonight. Instead im watching Bama blow away Michigan like all collage football fans knew was going to happen just like all MMA fans knew if JJ took the fight with an out of shape big mouth he would destroy him. And lets be real. He would have killed Sonnen especially coming off a full camp.
    Welcome to the beginning of the new boxing era everyone.

• THEGUNNER says:

Your right in my job I dot get paid to fight. I do that for fun at adrenaline.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Funny how people keep tossing around spoiled as an adjective for JJ. Then in next breath say “I” wanted to watch the fight now “I” can’t.
    Now “I’m” mad because someone else who owes me exactly zero did what they felt was in their best interest and not “mine”.

How dare they.

Let’s totally overlook that other than a very interesting main event UFC 151 was crap. If it wasn’t a big turd with nice icing then UFC could have made the event work.

Let’s not let that stop us from our own “spoiled” selfish rage. We are entitled to absolutely nothing from UFC or any other organization. Is it a bit of a bummer that things went down this way? Yeah, but if the rest of the card was so awesome how many of those rescheduled fights are now main events on another card? Hmm looks like that would be zero.

Where is all the rage for every other fighter who turned down the fight? Oh that’s right they were only looking out for their best interests we can’t be mad at someone for that after all.

Can we?

• king mah mah says:

If Jon Jones thinks i’m going to believe that he was goinig to pay every fighters salary, then he is sorely mistaken.

If he was going to do that he would have said it right away. I can’t believe what a goddamn drama queen this guy is. Wouldn’t expect that from a fighting champion. I know this comment will probably get censored, but he sounds like another “true christian” to me! Lol

• MCM says:

Jon Jones chose to be famous. He took the Budlight commercials, he does the talk shows, he chose to be the face of premier division in MMA. With that choice comes responsibilities. Responsibilities to his fans, the public, his employers, the media, etc. It’s all well and good to say that he doesn’t owe us anything, but it’s not true. He expects us to purchase the products he endorses, he expects us watch the shows he’s a guest on, he expects us to buy his PPV’s, and for that he does owe us the opportunity to watch him fight. When an individual chooses a public life whether it be a sports star, actor, politician or what have you, they give up a certain amount of freedom for all that that success brings. It’s not “selfishness” on the fans part, it’s just the price Jones pays for his success.

• moosebaby02 says:

MCM well put
    and to everyone who thinks people like me….the no nothing selfish nobody who puts the money in the pocket of these people who owe us nothing then how bout they fight for free and JUST FOR THE PURE SPORT OF IT…TO BE CALLED THE BEST OF THE BEST?????
    At the end of the day its all bout the all mighty dollar and its not like Uncle Dana and the boys are just throwing it around just for our entertainment. It has to come from somewhere???? With dumb ass people like me Mr Jones wouldnt have a Bently to be driving around to be smashing into things (sorry had to add that one in there). Excuse me for being a paying customer expecting results! How dear me be one of the fools who bought the PPV so I could watch Mr Jones get HIS TITLE SHOT ON SHORT NOTICE and win. And for all you “SMART” people who think that he dosent have to take responsibilitie for a whole card being shut down when ANYONE WITH COMMON SENSE knows that the only reason he turned down a fight on short notice with a fighter who is clearly no where in his class all cause of EGO and SPITE then those people need to go watch Mayweather Jr and boxing. Thats what it comes down to people. SPITE. And when DIVAS start making decsions on the back of SPITE while living off mine and all the other dumb ass’s hard earned money, well thats when my money and everyone who feels the same way says FUCK YOU right back. And from all the negative feed back its alot.
    So try as hard as you want Jones to fool the people like me who dont live in the world of black and white but in the middle part were we can read between the lines. You have shown your true colors which is the colors of a spoiled little brat who just dosent get it. Marketing 101 FUCKERS
    Thats were Dana was coming from when he went off like he did. He seen it before in boxing. You dont bite the hand that is OVERFEEDING you dumb asses

• king mah mah says:

Jon Jones was scared! That is all.

Any other fighter in that position would have taken the fight.

To those of you talking about how other fighters turned down the bout……….Well FUCK YOU!

The other fighters who turned down the fight didn’t have a full trainng camp and peak physical condition. They had a week notice with absolutely NO training camp!

I don’t hear everyone praising Chael for excepting the fight on short notice. What Bitch?

• king mah mah says:

@moosebaby02- Well said dude.

JJ Almost only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades….

Who leaks these crazy stories…? If I was a MMA website owner I’d format it to be more like TMZ.