When featherweight contender Erik Koch was injured the scramble began to find a replacement to fight Jose Aldo at UFC 153. Shortly thereafter the UFC announced former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar would be stepping up to fight Aldo. However, before Edgar took the tilt it seems the UFC went a different direction, as Ricardo Lamas is saying he also accepted the fight only to find out he’d been left in the cold.
According Bleacher Report, Lamas (12-2) was waiting for a bout agreement from the UFC when they told him he wouldn’t be getting the fight.
“They had called me first on Thursday,” explained Lamas. “They had called me up at about 3:30 PM and said, ‘Obviously Koch is injured and we need to know tonight if you want to take this fight with Aldo. We think you deserve it and we need to redo your contract. We need to get it all done by tonight.'”
Lamas was quick to accept the fight, and once his contract had been redone at the UFC’s request, apparently plans changed again.
“We got my contract figured out and was just waiting on a bout agreement,” Lamas revealed. “Then the UFC called at 9:00 PM and said they decided to in a different direction with the fight and that’s when they decided to go with Frankie Edgar.”
Lamas is undefeated since he moved from the WEC into the UFC’s featherweight division. As of right now he doesn’t haven’t a fight scheduled but is clearly ready to rumble. He last fought Hatsu Hioki at UFC on FX 5 where he earned a unanimous decision victory.
PHOTO CREDIT – UFC