Renzo Gracie foils would-be muggers, Tweets live updates

As the famous saying goes, “Crime doesn’t pay.” However, in the case of two bumbling muggers in New York last night it delivered fully in the denomination of laughter. According to famed trainer and fighter Renzo Gracie, the pair of failed crooks followed him for a few blocks without realizing he was wise to their game or well-versed in the art of ass-kickery.

They also didn’t know Gracie was giving the world a glimpse at his evening.

“I just stop to take a pic, they pretend they are looking at the window, can’t lie… My blood runs in a different speed. Man, I miss Brazil,” Tweeted Gracie. “Jiu-Jitsu…never leave home without it.”

After a period of time Gracie returned to his Twitter account, writing, “My hands hurt… Can’t help but look at him the other one took off running, not much of a friend. Chicken. I can still see him. He looks back as he runs, no chance to catch him… Even though I began to try to run after him, I realize how slow I was. F*ck it.”

Gracie continued, saying the one he caught tried to talk his way out of things but failed. The PRIDE/UFC veteran also mentioned driving around the block for awhile when the second mugger showed back up on the scene.

“There is basic things like you don’t come back to where the problem was. You just don’t. I knew he would,” posted the affable Brazilian. “Dumb f%#^ I just gave him the old style Raccoon. It has been a while since the last time I did. Choke him out three times and before he woke up I did hit each eye socket at least twice. Tomorrow he will wake up like a raccoon, and every time he woke up I was whispering at his ears, ‘That’s what death feels like. Don’t do that again.’”

The 45-year old also sent a few picture out of the ordeal including one of his banged up hand, playfully stating he’ll have to remember to use his elbows next time instead.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

Sweet.

• Richard Stabone says:

So Renzo realized a couple dudes with nefarious intentions were following him, so he feels out the situation and eventually got ahold of one dude. As that homie starts trying to weasel his way out of things, his buddy is high tailing it out of there. Renzo, apparently in a less than generous mood, proceeds to rough up dude #1.

Then Renzo hops in his car and circles the block for a while, hoping for dude #2 to come back around, and sure enough he turns up and Renzo snags him next, giving him the racoon treatment.

Did I follow that right?

• Angry Mike says:

Good for him, but the outcome could’ve been much worse. He’s lucky the douche bags weren’t strapped. BJJ isn’t much help against a .38 slug. Fight when you must, not when you can. And close quarter combat with your fists is always the last resort when no other weapons are available. The streets ain’t the dojo, the gym, or the octagon.

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• Dufresne says:

Seriously?? You’ve done that before? Jesus Christ, remind me not to fuck with a Gracie…

• Richard Stabone says:

Yeah, Renzo talking about that is kinda like me talking about how it’s been a while since I gave a dude an atomic wedgie. We don’t mess around. That feeling of the elastic strap on the tighty whities tearing over a thug’s head is a thrill unlike almost anything.

Only in self defense.

Good for Renzo but on the future I wouldn’t put shit like that on the Internet, could be used against him in some way and actually empower these dirtbags in a court of law… Renzo was no where in the wrong but the fucked up way the legal system works I wouldn’t document any encounters like that even in self defense.

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah, Rece is correct. You don’t want to leave a evidence of a premeditated assault. If he were charged, the line would be “if you felt safe enough to Tweet about this and hunt them down, you were NOT in danger.”

Still, any time street thugs get messed up I become a lot more lax. I’m also glad the story isn’t one of the possible alternates; “Renzo Gracie shot / stabbed”.

• qat says:

“the fucked up way the legal system works”.. well in this case, how would you like the legal system to work?
    All we know is what Renzo tweeted. Are you sure everything happened exactly as is portrayed here? Possibly, because its Renzo and it sounds somewhat likely that these guys were up to no good.

But, lets imagine we dont know anything about Renzo and are sitting in a court. We just know that in some dark alley, a professional MMA-Fighter ripped apart two dudes, and he even _ambushed_ the second one! Thats some nasty stuff right there, with some bad luck he could really be in trouble with the law. If these guys have a clean record and both say Renzo just jumped them..

And seriously, what kind of legal system could help him there? Unless you can read the thoughts of these guys..

• AlphaOmega says:

Good for Renzo, but I agree he should of just kept this to himself and never told anybody it happened, all they have to say is they had no intention of doing anything and he started it, how can he prove otherwise? Also the fact that he waited and waited til the other guy showed up, then jumped him, the guy wasn’t a threat by then.