Hector Lombard locking horns with Rousimar Palhares in December

Former Bellator champion Hector Lombard entered the UFC with about as much pressure to succeed as any free agent the organization brought in over the past year if not longer. Going into his debut, Lombard had emerged with his hand raised in twenty straight tilts and not tasted defeat in more than five years. However, that changed when he took on Tim Boetsch at UFC 149, losing a Split Decision.

Lombard will have a chance to redeem himself this December 14 when he faces Rousimar Palhares at UFC on FX 6. The Sydney-bound card will mark Lombard’s return to Australia after racking up a number of wins on the continent as a member of Cage Fighting Championship.

The bout has been confirmed by UFC officials.

The 31-3-1 Lombard has finished 24 of his foes including stoppages against Trevor Prangley and Brian Ebersole. Meanwhile, Palhares is one of the middleweight division’s most feared submission artists, owning an overall record of 14-4 including ten tap-outs.

The only other match-up linked to the event at this time is a meeting between TUF: Australia vs. UK coaches George Sotiropoulos and Ross Pearson.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Hulk vs thing

• AlphaOmega says:

So if Lombard loses I wonder if they will let him go, after all the hype and stuff they put to bring him in, and then he had a lackluster first fight.

• Lord Faust says:

Depends how he loses, really. But if Stumpy just takes a leg and taps him in 2 minutes, I’d imagine Lombard will get his walking papers.

This sounds like a sweet fight, but I don’t want to see either guy lose; I’ve got a big ‘ol soft spot for Who’s Omar Paul Harris and I’m still a Lombard fan despite his debut.

I’m not sure who I favour here; Lombard has good grappling but Stumpy is a leg-lock expert; he’ll go all-in and just dive for a leg if he has to. This might turn into the fist-fight we didn’t get to see in the Boestch fight.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Maybe I need to watch the fight again but I remember Lombard trying to take it to an oft-backpedaling Boetsch and losing a Split Decision many people thought he should have won. As such, I have a hard time faulting him too much for HIS performance in the bout.

• Angry Mike says:

Tough match up for Lombard. If he is tentative and fights defensively, he undercuts his own strength. If he is aggressive, he is at greater risk of a take down and a submission loss. My hunch is that he comes in tight and tentative, again, and Palhares wins by submission before the third round.

• Lord Faust says:

I actually scored the Lombard / Boetsch fight in favour of Lombard, but that fight was all kinds of terrible.