Tito Ortiz upset with Jon Jones for disrespectful comment

It looks like UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones has lost the respect of yet another individual after already turning a lot of folks against him based on his handling of both UFC 151 and the fallout from its cancellation. However, making this particular person unique is the fact he not only held the very belt Jones has since laid claim to but a man who initially took the 25-year old’s side in the debacle.

Tito Ortiz, a UFC Hall of Fame fighter, recently spoke up saying he was hurt by recent comments from Jones stating the former “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” was not a competitor he wanted to be compared to.

“That was like a stab in my back. I was like, I stood up for you. When no one else did, I stood up for you and you turn around and say something like that,” explained Ortiz in an interview with MMAWeekly.

Jones’ annoyance with being connected to Ortiz was specifically related to the since-retired 205er’s monetary demands during the UFC’s formative years.

“You’ve got to understand. When you’re traveling around in your Bentley – I don’t know if he still has it anymore since he wrecked it into a tree – but when you’re traveling around in your Bentley, you’ve got to understand. I’m a person who put their life on the line and my career and my image and my name on the line to battle for you to have the type of contract you have and the money you’re making,” said Ortiz, alluding to Jones’ DUI earlier this year. “I took a lot of flak for negotiating and battling for what I believed in. It wasn’t a factor of talking about money. It was a factor of what I thought I was worth. I was trying to raise the bar for all fighters, and I think I’ve done that. For him to say the things he’s saying, don’t disrespect me like that.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

Holes getting deeper and deeper.

• Lord Faust says:

What the fuck is trying to say here?

It wasn’t about money, aside from the fact I wanted more money… Tito bringing the logic in a dominating fashion here.

I was trying to raise the bar for all fighters, and I think I’ve done that.

How? You got yours, that’s it. If anything, Tito’s nonsense probably just jaded UFC management.

• AlphaOmega says:

“For him to say the things he’s saying, don’t disrespect me like that.”

I can’t help thinking..or what? You’ll not come out of retirement and not fight Jones and just bitch and moan at him, and really nobody will pay attention to it?

• MCM says:

@Faust, I don’t think you fully understand everything Tito has done for the industry, especially on behalf of the fighters. If there was ever an MMA fighters Union, Tito would probably be the first president. He argued not only for his own paychecks, but for ALL fighters to get higher pay. I’m pretty sure he was one of the first to get PPV cuts for main eventing, now all headliners get PPV cuts.
    There is a great article about him at MMAweekly where he talks about his new management company and how he’s trying to teach fighters that fighting is only one aspect of the MMA game and that at some point you have to graduate beyond fighting if you want this to be a career.
    Too many young fighters (and young people in general) don’t realize that the road was paved before they got there. There’s no need to go out of your way to disrespect those that helped build it.

• MCM says:

just reread my post. That last part isn’t a dig on you personally, Faust, just a generalization.

• Angry Mike says:

Tito retired, so he’s going to be increasingly irrelevant to the sport. It happens to athletes in every sport, not just fighters. To me, Tito’s statement sounds like a guy who hasn’t realized that he’s not in the mix anymore or doesn’t want to accept that. I just don’t know why Jones should defer to him or even listen to him. Times change.

• MCM says:

Tito just launched a new management company with Chris Santos as one of it’s first members and several other high profile fighters have agreed to sign on. He’s also launching an amateur fight league where he’ll be scouting and training fighters to make the jump into the big leagues, kinda like an MMA farm team. Not to mention his increasing sponsorship of fighters through Punishment Athletics.
    I think saying he’s “ncreasingly irrelevant to the sport.” is a misnomer. I’d say he’s becoming more important to the sport in general.

• Angry Mike says:

Nah. The guy couldn’t manage his own career, so I doubt he’ll be able to manage the careers of others. And sponsoring fighters through an apparel company doesn’t mean he’s connected to Jones or has the right to expect anything from Jones. It’s more than a little narcissistic for Tito to focus on himself when the subject of Jones comes up.

• MCM says:

Tito was responding when asked what he thought of Jones saying he didn’t want to be compared to him. That’s not narcissism, that’s answering a question. Tito and Jones have hung out together and Tito has been one of the only fighters defending Jon during his most recent public fuck up. In the rest of the interview, Tito says he still likes Jones, he was just hurt.