Georges St-Pierre refuses to look past Carlos Condit to super-fight with Anderson Silva

Over the past few weeks there has been an increase in chatter pertaining to the possibility of UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre facing middleweight title-holder Anderson Silva in a “super-fight” pitting two of the sport’s top pound-for-pound pugilists against each other. However, while Silva’s dance card is currently clear, St-Pierre is scheduled to face Carlos Condit in mid-November after 18 months of inactivity due to injuries.

Based on the challenges Condit presents coupled with the extended break from competition he’s coming off of, GSP is tired of talking about Silva and is honed in on his next fight, not one he might be booked in.

“I focus only on the present moment. That’s what I’ve learned in my career. Don’t focus on the future because you never know what’s gonna happen. Things change,” reflected St-Pierre in an interview with MMAWeekly. “I’m not speculating. I’m thinking about Condit right now; that’s what I should do.”

“I feel like I have a lot of guys that are there and I don’t understand why people are going crazy now, but I just came back from an injury, so maybe some people see me as a weak link,” he concluded. “We’ll see what’s going to happen in the future.”

If St-Pierre and Silva do meet in the Octagon, UFC President Dana White has hinted the tilt could take place inside a stadium. As appealing as the idea may be, for now, it looks like GSP’s mind will only be on the Bell Centre in Montreal and the notion of retaining his status as 170-pound champion rather than potentially cementing his legacy against a legendary foe.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

Because gsp vs silva will never happen. Its a 3 year long tease.

• Richard Stabone says:

I think it *could* have happened… if GSP hadn’t gotten injured.

If GSP hadn’t gone down with the knee injury, and had already beaten guys like Diaz and Condit during the past 12-18 months that he’s been sidelined, then he might have been in a similar place that Silva & Jones currently are, having annihilated the top half of his division and in a waiting period while the next wave of contenders sort things out to establish a clear challenger. At that point a super fight might have actually made sense.

But as it is, he’s coming off a major injury/surgery/rehab and no one knows for sure how he’ll perform in his return to action. I expect he’ll continue to be a force in the WW division, but between the injury and natural aging (GSP & Silva are the only champions on the wrong side of 30) it’s possible those things might have permanently sapped some of his athleticism.

And the WW division is desperate to have the belt back in the mix. If GSP is able to get by Condit, the Kampmann/Hendricks winner will have a pretty strong case for a title shot. Is the winner supposed to wait around for GSP to move up in weight, fight Silva, then come back down to WW to defend the belt? That’s ridiculous.

Plus Diaz figures to be back in action within 6 months, and I’ve gotta think GSP would still jump at the chance to fight Diaz before moving up in weight to fight Silva.

So I’m with GUNNER… this continues to be much ado about nothing, with the likelihood of GSP facing Silva any time soon remaining very low.

Oh, and I still think it’s crap that there isn’t a stronger push for the super fight that actually makes sense given all of the current circumstances in the MW & LHW divisions.

• MCM says:

Am I one of the few that never wanted to see GSP/Silva? I always thought it was a huge mismatch for GSP. I can’t see anyway he wins that fight. As Richard pointed out, there are too many reasons to stick around a WW now.
    Silva/Jones? Now that’s a fight I’d like to see.

• THEGUNNER says:

I agree gsp will fight diaz before he fights silva. I never thought id say this but I hope bisping gets a w and a title shot. It would make sense and it would provide time for the next title contender to show his worthyness.

• Richard Stabone says:

Under the right circumstances I’d have loved to see GSP fight Silva. If he hadn’t been injured he was slated to face Diaz in late 2011. Assuming he beat Diaz he likely would have fought Condit next, sometime in early/mid 2012. If he beat Condit, keeping his run on dominance in tact, I would have been very interested in seeing an active, fully healthy GSP move up to fight Silva. In theory it would have provided the last half of 2012 for GSP to transition to the higher weight, setting up the Silva-GSP showdown for NYE weekend.

But GSP hasn’t been healthy. He hasn’t fought Condit and Diaz (let alone beat them). And the WW division has been on hold, waiting for the return of its champion. So the timing & overall circumstances of a Silva-GSP super fight don’t make any sense. Injury, as has too often been the case during the past year, derailed those plans.

Silva could have gone after the super fight that actually made sense, or he can continue to hang out and face one of the winners from the Bisping-Stann and Boetsch-Weidman fights. Those are his only realistic options. And at age 37, old man Silva needs to make up his mind soon, rather than holding out hope for the hail mary option with GSP.

• Richard Stabone says:

I’m hoping Weidman is the real deal and, ideally, I’d like him to get the next shot. But I’ve felt all along he needs another victory to really earn his title shot, so it makes the timing tricky…

With Bisping-Stann set to square off in a couple weeks, they have a 3 month head start on Weidman/Boetsch. If Bisping comes away with a decisive victory over Stann, he’ll be able to be very loud about getting his title shot on the heels of a big victory, while Weidman is “stuck” preparing for his matchup with Boetsch.

So if Bisping holds up his end of the deal, it probably makes sense to have him fight Silva during Super Bowl weekend. That matchup doesn’t really excite me, but I’d rather see Silva in action than him waiting around the better part of a year, at age 37, for something better to come along. And then if Weidman beats Boetsch on NYE weekend, he could probably wait for the next shot.

Of course, most of this depends on Silva’s attitude. In the latter stages of his career, will he be content to keep running up his win streak against the Bispings & Weidmans of the division, or will he insist on waiting for the higher profile fight(s) he keeps talking about?

• Screenplaya says:

If GSP beats Condit, I wonder if he might not decide to make the full-time move up to MW. With Condit out of the way, there really aren’t any interesting challengers for GSP at 170.

Move GSP up to MW for a tune-up and then title shot, while Silva disposes of the Bisping/Stann winner.

Meanwhile, set up a super-entertaining tournament for the vacated 170 title. Make up your brackets! That would be awesome!