Donald Cerrone lobbying to fill in against Frankie Edgar at UFC 153

The UFC was put in the position of needing to fill a major void yesterday when Frankie Edgar was left without an opponent at UFC 153 due to Jose Aldo’s inability to train as the result of an injury. Fortunately, it doesn’t look like the company will have to look too far to find a replacement, as Donald Cerrone has salready tepped up to say he is open to fighting Edgar at the October 13 event.

Better yet, Cerrone is even willing to drop down to 145 pounds if necessary.

“Who you need me to fight! I’m always down,” wrote the 19-4 Cerrone to UFC President Dana White last night on Twitter, adding, “I can do anything for money.”

It appears Cerrone’s statements were not simply lip-service either, as UFC matchmaker Dave Sholler confirmed “Cowboy” had already called him to volunteer his services.

“I’ll put on a sweatsuit and run to Rio right now. It’ll be a long haul, but I’ll do it,” Tweeted Sholler on the topic of what Cerrone said to him in the conversation.

Cerrone is coming off a first-frame finish of Melvin Guillard in August at the same event Edgar last fought at. The performance marked his eighth win in nine fights including victories over Jeremy Stephens, Dennis Siver, and Jamie Varner.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

Edgar would take this one at 155 or 145, the cowboy is a good fighter but I do not see him beating guys in the top 5.

• MCM says:

I’d like to see this at 155. I think Cowboy could beat Edgar. ‘Course if he does, that ruins any plans for an Aldo/Edgar fight as Frankie would be coming off three consecutive losses.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

True, but it would set up Cerrone vs. Aldo and that would be pretty damn fun to watch.

• MCM says:

Only if Cerrone was going down to 145.

Like I said in another thread, I think they’re gonna scratch Edgar from the card anyway, unless Renan Barao steps up a weight class.

• Creature says:

Id actually love to see this just because I personally think Cerrone would put a beating on Edgar and I could rub it in one of my friends faces ;)

• Richard Stabone says:

I can’t imagine Cerrone fighting at 145. He’s a legit 6 feet tall and already looks a bit anemic on the scale when he cuts to 155. Another 10 pounds is tough to imagine (plus he’s potentially one win away from a LW title shot), so if he was gonna fight Aldo it would mean Aldo moving up to LW, which doesn’t seem likely any time soon.

Aldo and Frankie are similar in size/reach/frame, so while I think Aldo certainly *could* compete with the top guys at LW the way Frankie has, they’re both seem best suited for the FW division.

But since Frankie has obviously been comfortable fighting at 155 for a long time now, Frankie vs. Cowboy sounds like a pretty cool fight. There are other contingency options for UFC 153 I’ve tossed out in other threads that I’d rather see, but depending what shakes out this is another interesting option to consider. If Frankie wins (which I think he would), then he’d have a little more momentum to face Aldo when he’s back, and for Cowboy I don’t think a loss would necessarily prevent him from facing Anthony Pettis once Showtime returns from injury.

But a Frankie loss (which would be, as MCM mentioned above, his 3rd consecutive defeat) would almost certainly knock him out of a title matchup. But maybe that’s not such a bad thing, cuz now that Aldo is out due to injury, once he’s back doesn’t that put the original pairing of Aldo-Koch back on the table? I haven’t seen any recent updates but at one point I saw a note from Koch’s camp that they were hopeful he’d be able to return by year’s end. So if Koch is back by the time Aldo is ready to actually fight, seems pretty jacked up that Frankie would still jump in front of him. Oy…this injury stuff is just a pain all around.