Jorge Masvidal: “It’s a shame I’ve only gotten to fight once this year…”

Fans can add Jorge Masvidal to the list of Strikeforce fighters currently concerned about paying bills based on the organization’s approach to booking its bigger names. Whether due to financial reasons or basic oversight, it’s rare to see Strikeforce stars fight more than twice a year and that simply doesn’t cut it for those treating MMA like a full-time career.

“I’m never going to get to be 27 years old again in my life and it’s a shame I’ve only gotten to fight once this year for a major promotion. I’m in the prime of my (career),” said Masvidal in an interview with MMAJunkie.

Though Masvidal may not be happy about how Strikeforce is handling things, in truth he is only a month removed from his last fight – a Split Decision win over Justin Wilcox. Still, with shows in October and November already filling up, Masvidal is concerned about the fact he hasn’t received a call yet from the matchmaking team.

“I’ve got two little girls and I’ve got to keep food on the table consistently. They’re growing. They want shoes. The older one wants iPads and (stuff) like that. I’ve got to be making money,” explained the 27-year old. “One fight a year doesn’t cover it. Even if I was a monster at saving money, one fight a year wouldn’t do it.”

“I’m available at 155, I’m available at 170 and I’m currently available at 185 now,” concluded Masvidal, revealing he was currently hovering around 200 pounds while waiting for the call to shed the weight. “For any promotions trying to pick me up for a one-fight deal to keep me busy, just keep that in mind. (185) is only a 15-pound cut right now. I’m going to be a little pudgy (at 185), but still quick as hell, though.”

Masvidal has fought as a lightweight in Strikeforce but has also competed at 170 pounds in the past including a decision loss to Paul Daley many fans felt he actually won. However, at 5’11” he certainly has the height of a middleweight. “Gamebred” is 23-7 in his career and has won three of his last four fights with the lone exception being an outpointing at the hands of Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• G-DUB says:

Heartbreaking to hear this, especially for a fighter in his prime that has champion-potential. Being blessed with uber-athleticism and skills and not being able to put them to use to help yourself and your family is truly tragic.

• hindsightufuk says:

i supported Strikeforce for years, through all those times people were saying how inferior to the UFC it was, but now, the sooner it dies the better. So many fighters wasting their careers over there

• MCM says:

This is where a FORUM would come in handy Brendhan. I’ve got a question for the 5oz posters concerning the internet buzz of the UFC putting on too many shows leading to cards constantly being shuffled.

With Bellator losing their HW champ due to inactivity and SF getting complaints from all their fighters about inactivity, is the UFC really putting on too many shows?
    or
    Is it better for the Sport of MMA to have multiple events from One promotion per month or is it better for the sport to have multiple promotions that only put on events every couple months?

• AlphaOmega says:

I think its better to have multiple promotions putting on events every month or every other month if they can. If there’s only one promotion dominating, sooner or later that promotion is able to coast and gets complacent and stops putting on amazing cards.

To use an example that doesn’t fully fit, WWE. Their shows were awesome when they had competition with WCW and ECW, now that their only comp is TNA, and they aren’t doing so hot, their shows are a lot more kiddish, and no where near as entertaining I think.

• AlphaOmega says:

I also agree with MCM, a forum would be cool for us to discuss MMA related stuff, instead of hijacking the newest articles (like I do a lot)

• MCM says:

That’s a good point AlphaOmega. The counter argument would be that with only putting on shows every couple mounths, how do the fighters get paid enough to make this a profession and not just a hobby? And are we, as fans, willing to pay to see part time athletes? Or do we just accept that we will continue to lose top fighters as they seek a more steady paycheck?

• AlphaOmega says:

That didn’t really seem to be a problem when SF was putting on a show every month, and the UFC doing it as well. If more then one org could do two shows a month, one ppv and one free, then I think itd be better for fans and fighters all around.

• Lord Faust says:

I’ve given up ranting and raving about Strikeforce. I’m an MMA addict; I’ve enjoyed their last few shows immensely, and don’t recall one that outright sucked – ever; but the way this “promotion” handles their business is just jaw-dropping. The only way they could seem less interested in their own product would be if they burned down their own offices and just walked away entirely.

But no, instead they’re wasting what talent they still have on the roster and seemingly waiting for someone to pull the plug. (With management collecting their regular salaries, I’m sure.)

PRIDE never die.

Strikeforce, hurry up and die.