Dana White: “If somebody can even try to give me an idea of how that’s my fault that UFC 151 got canceled, I would love to hear it.”

It looks like UFC President Dana White isn’t done talking about the cancellation of UFC 151 or slamming the parties he feels are responsible for the card falling apart. White recently took questions from a group of media members at the UFC’s headquarters where he dismissed his role in the event’s axing and pointed the finger back at Jon Jones, Dan Henderson, and Greg Jackson.

“Every time somebody asks me if I take responsibility for canceling UFC 151 on (expletive) Twitter, it’s like ‘ Yeah, how’s it my fault?’ If somebody can even try to give me an idea of how that’s my fault that 151 got canceled, I would love to hear it,” said White in a report from MMAFighting. “Dan Henderson should have told me three weeks before that his (expletive) knee was hurt, and maybe I could have saved it. And Jon Jones should have fought (expletive) Chael Sonnen. And his (expletive) goofy trainer should have kept his face shut.”

He continued on, labeling Jackson as a “con artist” and saying the widely respected trainer was “full of sh*t” based on his public persona as a coach promoting his approach to fighters as being family-oriented when he’s more of a cutthroat businessman, at least in the opinion of White.

The upset executive also addressed a specific comment from Jones regarding how he was treated in the wake of the UFC 151 debacle.

“The Jon Jones piece of meat (expletive) thing,” responded White when asked about the statement. “When I see him in (expletive) Toronto, that’s the first (expletive) thing we’re going to talk about. Piece of meat? Give me a (expletive) break. That sounds like something a male supermodel would say: I feel like a piece of meat out here. That pisses me off worse than (expletive) canceling the event.”

Jones and White have not spoken directly since things first fell apart a few weeks ago. However, they are expected to have a face-to-face conversation next week when Jones travels to Toronto for a UFC 152 fight against Vitor Belfort.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

Well the whole dana not being mad at Jones thing lasted long didnt it?

• Screenplaya says:

Dear Dana,

It is your fault for the following blatantly obvious reasons:
    – you actually canceled the event.
    – you failed to plan for the possibility that the main event would have to be scrapped
    – you didn’t build a good enough undercard
    – you were a dick to your champ and his well-respected trainer

I agree Hendo should have given you more warning and deserves some blame. Bones bears NO responsibility.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 18 Thumb down 15

• Lord Faust says:

Screenplaya nails it in one.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 12

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah, Dana (Zuffa) cancelled the event due to conditions that have happened many, many times before on shorter notice. therefore, it is your fault Dana (Zuffa), you fucking hump

• MCM says:

Hey Dana, the lid on this can of worms is stuck. Would you open it for me?

• AlphaOmega says:

I seem to see a dead horse in the field with a bat next to it..

• MCM says:

Dana also said…..
    “I don’t know, we’ll see how our talk goes. We’ve proven you don’t have to best friends to work here. But it’s not a good idea to have a horrible relationship with us either. I get mad all the time and shit happens, but the voice of reason in the next office over here (UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta). If you can get along with him than I’m cool with that. We run a business. Lorenzo was really pissed. Like I said pissing me off is one thing, I’m always pissed off. But he’s never pissed off. You start getting to the point where you’re pissing him off, then …”

For what it’s worth, it’s nice to hear that even Dana knows he’s always mad and pissed off.

• G-DUB says:

Before another weekend with no major MMA shows (after many many weekends of the same), leave it to Dana White to drop a savory morsel of AWESOME.
    Thank you Uncle Dana!! What would we talk about without you!

• Richard Stabone says:

Dana, you whiney pissy bitch, let me shed some light on the matter for you. You had us all believe that one man & one man alone ruined UFC 151 — Jon Jones.

If you put together an event that one freaking dude can ruin by all by himself, you are a damn fool. You obviously put way too much power in one man, and when he didn’t meet your every demand, it was you that got caught with your pants down. Nice planning.

Lesson learned you bald, thick-headed, stubborn fuck? I hope so.

But beyond that, it’s cute for Dana to come out well after the fact and acknowledge that the entire shitty domino effect started when a) Hendo got hurt, and b) Hendo concealed the injury till the last minute. Apparently those were minor details to leave out when he was trashing Jon Jones thru the media.

So of course the UFC brass is pissed off that Jon Jones would call a spade a spade, in the aftermath of being tossed under the bus as if he set out to ruin a UFC event. Jones’ words cut deep, and might actually impact the thinking of some fans & fighters about the way the UFC runs its ship, and the extreme imbalance of power that exists between the UFC and its fighters. No other legitimate professional league enjoys such a tremendous advantage in calling the shots over its athletes/fighters… the fighters of course being the product we’re all tuning in to watch and pulling in revenue for the UFC.

The UFC has a good thing going and will try to squeeze as tight as they can to maintain their grip on the power control, but eventually the aggressive bullying tactics will wear thin. I don’t think Dana will know how to adapt, and Mr. Fertitta and Co. might end up needing to shake things up… give Dana a chance to “pursue other opportunities within the company” or perhaps “spend some more time with family.”

• Richard Stabone says:

Shoot, I was intending to communicate with Dana White using his own vernacular, but now I see the (expletive) function is broken in the comments.

• AlphaOmega says:

Anyone else thinking that his ‘talk’ with Jones might have adverse affects on the champ? I get that he want’s to have a sit down, but the second they get to Toronto for the fight shouldn’t be the time to do it, that’s when all fighters are in the zone and they really don’t need someone yelling and bitching at them about something a month ago, or so.

• thomaswhigham says:

I sympathize with Dana, his cards have been falling apart all year and the fights have been stretched a bit thin. It’s in the name of better business but you know it frustrates Dana to manage all the egos and backgound politicking that goes into making fights, as it would anyone, even as he frustrates those same people… but we should also understand Dana personally probably doesn’t want to go out and have to sell Wanderlei Franklin 2… as much as he might value both men… I think Jones decision was fine not to fight Chael, if for no other reason Chael is kind of a piece of shit who seems to be exploiting every angle he can, and that pisses a lot of people off, who have their own lives and careers and “rankings” in the pecking order. Jones wins that fight, but man, I am with him being a bit of a diva and being like “fuck that guy, I’d rather not play than play with him.”

And the company short noticed him…I am for company loyalty but I also think Dana overreacted because it was like he said, personally, Jon Jones was all for it, then talked to his manager and backed out. That’s why Fertitia is mad, they thought they had an agreement in place. So in their mind, if jones had agreed, and the backed out, it is entirely on him at that point…

That being said, Jones made the right decision, Dana’s job is tough but I like him, and Jones in the socio-macro scheme of things might feel like left over dog food after the reaming he took for a few weeks while making a selfish but sound decision and enduring something he probably didn’t need to. So I actually think people are right all around here, it just sucks because we know the last 10 PPVs have been weaker than they COULD be…

my 45 cents as it were.

• thomaswhigham says:

And to Alpha Omega, if you think Dana isn’t kissing ass in that meeting you’re wrong. He’s gonna say where he’s coming from, and explain his interests, but do you really think he doesn’t understand Jon Jones decision? He doesn’t agree with it, but understanding it means they can move forward. And those two men have so much more money to make its ridiculous. Turning Jones Heel just because he is pretentious? Are you kidding me, at what point does his ego simply become ACCURATE SELF REFLECTION. Even if it is based on an insecure manhood phase that played out somewhat on the public stage, the whole be what I’m supposed to be vs be myself thing, just remember where you were at his fucking age, and all the crazy wishy washy shit you said, now imagine being better than nearly everyone at this one thing that pays you a lot, makes you famous, and forces you into a certain business and commodity of yourself that isn’t normal or conducive to stable mental health. Fame and that spotlight are not for everyone. Jones may really have started on youtube videos for the love of his body and what it could do, not for some random 23 year olds on twitter… his story is amazing, and his achievments are amazing, and I truly respect what he’s turned himself into as a fighter. As a man, well, they say 20 is the new teens, and it might take jones into his 30’s to really figure himself out. Consider that every added vice, from fame to temptation to money more problems, are all there to retard that growth. God forbid the man resents the world for a bit for that even as he’s thankful for it. Like anyone of us would fall on only one side of that spectrum.

• Angry Mike says:

White calling Jackson a “cut throat businessman” is an unintended compliment. If White thought Jackson was weak or ineffectual, White would either ignore him or praise him.