Shane Carwin: “I hate Roy Nelson as a person.”

If fans were asked to a compile a list of the most humble, respectful fighters in the UFC there’s a good chance heavyweight Shane Carwin would be in the top three if not at the head of the pack. Throughout his career Carwin has personified the concept of a gentle giant; a soft-spoken, hard-hitting Mixed Martial Artist who remained true to his roots, even going so far as to work a full-time engineering job while competing at the highest level possible.

However, in the case of Roy Nelson Carwin is ready to abandon his normal “nice guy” approach to things. Nelson has accused Carwin of using steroids in the past and needled him ever since with the feud ultimately landing the two rivals as Ultimate Fighter 16 coaches.

“You have to change your lifestyle,” began Carwin of the job of heading a TUF team in an interview with Bleacher Report. “But once you find out it’s against Roy Nelson, somebody that I dislike so much, I was on board. There was nobody I wanted to coach against more than that guy, and to kick his ass in not only coaching, but in the fight as well.”

“There’s that much animosity there,” he continued. “All of that stuff is real. The only thing I’ve ever had to hype for my fights is to just watch my style. My fights are exciting. There doesn’t need to be any hype or talk, but this real.”

Before moving on to a new topic, Carwin even took it one step further, saying, “I hate the guy. I dislike him. I hate him as a person.”

Carwin and Nelson are expected to fight at the conclusion of the season, debuting tonight on FX at 9:00 PM EST. Both are proven finishers, adding to the excitement of an eventual showdown, as all twelve of Carwin’s wins have involved a stoppage while the 17-7 Nelson has ten TKOs and five submissions to his credit.

Check out a preview for TUF 16 below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

I really want to see this fight. I’m bored to tears with the TUF format though. Hopefully we get some decent fights. I expect the usual “hijinx” and invariably someone will smash the gym door off its hinges…

• MCM says:

From the previews I’ve seen, this season looks pretty damn good. Plus it’s got Big Country, and you can’t go wrong with Big Country. Sucks that him a Carwin hate each other as they are my two favorite HW’s. I wonder if coaching is gonna have the same affect on one of them that it did on Matt Huges? i.e. beloved fighter turns into arrogant douche.

• THEGUNNER says:

Welter weights are always good they can make a move to go up to middle or down to light weight. ufc obviously needs fresh fighters.

• Lord Faust says:

I’m still going watch, regardless. I’ve stomached almost every season, and I like both guys as well. I’m glad the live format is gone, I think it reduced the overall quality of the fights.

• AlphaOmega says:

Anyone else laugh at the promo of the guy elbowing a box? I get that it’s suppose to be full of meat or something..but is it really? It just makes me laugh how he’s acting tough by beating up a box.

• hindsightufuk says:

i’ll start watching it like i always do, but i think last time i enjoyed a season competitor wise was UK vs US. I’m looking forward to the UK vs Aus series more, thought i could care less about any of the coaches on either show

• THEGUNNER says:

The first episode is usually the best. knockout city.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Carwin can talk all he wants , but nothing I have seen from him makes me think he can take out Nelson. Nelson can take a beating and keep standing and has a great gas tank for a big guy. I see Big Country getting the UD or possibly late round KO.

Carwin is a one trick pony. Don’t stand there and trade haymakers with him and make him work and he gasses. I think Nelson can take the big punches and out work him. If it hits the ground I give it to Nelson as well.

As far as TUF season, I will watch it as it is free MMA and you never know when a star might shine through. Even if no star shines, once again..free MMA