Stephan Bonnar using past college cram sessions to prepare for Anderson Silva

Typically, Stephan Bonnar would plan out a three-month training camp to prepare for a fight inside the Octagon. However, by accepting a bout with UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva for UFC 153 in October, “The American Psycho” has to get ready in three weeks.

So, will he be 100-percent ready for “The Spider” when they collide at 205 pounds in Rio? According to Bonnar the answer is yes, sort of.

“I have been on the shelf for ten months; he just fought, so he probably hasn’t been in the gym either,” said Bonnar during an interview on UFC Tonight earlier this week. “I mean, ten days really isn’t enough time to train, so really to get in shape we both have three weeks to get ready for a three-rounder.”

Bonnar had announced previously that he would not take any low-profile fights, but the opportunity to face Silva made getting back into his training routine well worth it.

“This is like a crammer – like I did in college when I had to cram for exams,” Bonnar joked.

Silva is the odds-on-favorite to walk out of the Octagon with a win, but Bonnar believes he can shock the world no matter what the betting line might be.

“No one is giving me a chance. I love it,” the former Ultimate Fighter runner-up said. “I feel like Rocky Balboa. It’s like ‘Rocky 1′ and ‘Rocky IV’ meshed together. It’s me. It’s time. The ‘American Psycho’ is going to get it done.”

UFC 153 is set for October 13. It will mark the first fight for Bonnar since beating Kyle Kingsbury this past November.

Check out Bonnar’s complete interview with UFC Tonight below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• darth_irritable says:

Yeah – Rocky lost too.

Sorry Stephan. I’ll be pooping my pants if he pulls it out, but I don’t see it.

• AlphaOmega says:

I really hope he does, for one it’d be awesome, and for two I want to see Dana and co spin it to where it’s no big deal that Silva lost for the first time in forever, to someone who was basically retired.

• Lord Faust says:

“The only way this fight could be more like Rocky IV is if Anderson Silva killed Carl Weathers in an exhibition match.” –Tommy Toe Hold

• Screenplaya says:

Remember when Bonnar was dominated by Jon Jones for two rounds, including multiple suplexes and an incredible spinning elbow? Yeah, The American Psycho walked through it and won the final round.

Obviously, Bonnar is a huge underdog here, but he might be unstoppable. This fight could be a classic.

• Lord Faust says:

If Bonnar wins, I will build a popsicle stick shrine in his honour.

• AlphaOmega says:

Wouldn’t it be funny if Belfort and Bonnar won their matches, they’d be the ultimate underdog kings.

I hear Vinny Mac’s entrance music in my head…

• Angry Mike says:

You know, I never really liked Bonnar’s nickname. He’s far to calm and measured to be perceived as crazy. With his ability to take punishment, why not the “American Zombie?” And for the record, it’d be awesome to see him win. It would an upset that’s even greater than Serra’s win over GSP. And furthermore, it wouldn’t be just darth_irritable who soiled his drawers. I think Sonnen would too. Hell, he’d probably have to admitted to a psych ward and placed on suicide watch.

• sides666 says:

i think silva has an enourmous amount of resapect for bonnar so he may not embaress him and rather just showcase his matrix like abilities. i am excited for this fight i love both these fighters i know that it does not make a lot of sense in the way of standings but i am so glad they made this fight. its similar i believe to his fight with lee murray.

• Lord Faust says:

Bonnar is as tough as a $2 Sunday steak on a Wednesday afternoon. Unless it ends in a quick flash KO, I see a legitimate possibility for an entertaining fight.