Stephan Bonnar: “If I get my ass kicked by Anderson Silva there’s no shame in that.”

UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar will be the first to tell you he’s living a charmed life. From a role in one of the most important fights in MMA history to his upcoming fight against Anderson Silva, Bonnar has little to complain about where his career is concerned and couldn’t be happier about the opportunity in front of him this October.

“I go from retired to the biggest fight I could have ever imagined. It’s crazy how life changes. All of the sudden my phone is blowing up and I’m cool again,” cracked Bonnar on Inside MMA.

Though Bonnar understands he’s an severe underdog at best (and sacrificial lamb at worst), “The American Psycho” has also been around the sport long enough to know no outcome is guaranteed inside the Octagon.

“Anything can happen in there. That’s the beauty of fighting. I just gotta go in there and do my best,” explained Bonnar before including some of his trademark humor. “He is the greatest striker and most accurate and yadda-yadda…really, I’ve got a good beard. Hopefully he breaks a hand and foot on my head and I take advantage of him.”

The 35-year old has also accepted the possibility of coming up short against Silva considering the Brazilian’s credentials as one of MMA’s all-time greats and a long-standing champion who hasn’t lost in more than five years.

“If I get my ass kicked by Anderson Silva there’s no shame in that,” Bonnar admitted, saying he ultimately had nothing to lose in the fight and that the lack of pressure was a nice change from his normal bouts.

Silva and Bonnar are set to headline UFC 153 on October 13 in Rio de Janeiro.

Check out the complete interview with Bonnar below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

As long as he last’s longer than Forrest the is no shame in losing here.

• darth_irritable says:

I Love Bonnar. He’s realistic, yet essentially committing suicide.

• fanoftna33 says:

I wouldnt say that, like he said anything can has and will happen in a fight, plus there are very few if any fighters in his position that would even dream of turning down this fight.

• Richard Stabone says:

In the end it doesn’t really matter, as Silva is going to tear Bonnar up no matter what is said or done between now and fight night, but it’s kind of a bummer that Bonnar is already resigned to the fact Silva is going to kick his ass.

I’m afraid his attitude will affect his mindset going into the fight which will affect his actions in the cage, and ultimately give us a worse fight than might otherwise be possible. Obviously Silva is going to win, but just don’t turn it into amateur hour with a repeat of Silva vs. Forrest. Easy for me to say, I know, but with the right mindset Bonnar might be able to at least keep things interesting for a couple rounds.

• Big Stank says:

I respect the hell out of Bonner, he’s a good fighter with balls of steel. Good luck

• Lord Faust says:

Bonnar just has to do better than James Irvin and Forrest. Yeah, that’s a low bar, but Bonnar’s durable and is just as likely to be underrated as Silva may be overrated. (Mainly due to Silva’s lack of a full training camp, and once again fighting at weight higher than usual.)

• Lord Faust says:

That said, I am still expecting this to be a one round affair.

• hindsightufuk says:

as long as he isnt just turning out for a payday and waits for it to be over quick as possible like Forrest did, he’ll have earned the utmost respect from a lot of people. cant wait to see this fight.
    no i’m not putting any money on Stephan, and i always put money on the longest odds.
    actually i’m gonna have to, i’d kick myself otherwise

• Angry Mike says:

Bonnar’s not talking any trash, so Silva might dance with him for a round or two. And Bonnar is a resilient fighter who can take a punch. If I was a gambling man, I’d put a buck or two on him just because the odds should be really good, but in all likelihood it’d be wasted money.

• raker says:

About this lasting longer than Griffin and Irvin, I remember when Cote fought Silva and was happy to get out of the 2nd round because no one had made it that far. I don’t like the idea of fighting to survive and I hope that Bonnar tries to take the fight to him. He might end up looking as bad as Forrest but at least he’ll be giving it his all rather than just trying to hang on.

• Lord Faust says:

Cote has an incredible chin, though. Too bad he seems to fight more reservedly than he should at time.