Dana White: “I want to see boxing pull bigger numbers.”

A majority of boxing promoters have historically gone out of their way to say bad things about the sport of MMA. In many cases, the feeling is mutual as far as MMA fans expressing dislike for the sweet science. While many of those individuals may be under the impression that the UFC feels the same way as they do, UFC President Dana White recently said he hoped to see boxing succeed rather than fail.

“I want to see boxing pull bigger numbers,” White told media after UFC 152.  “I’m happy for boxing. Whenever boxing does good things and they pull killer pay-per-view buys, I’m always watching to see what they do on pay-per-view. And I’m not like those (expletives) – they did this much, I’m happy for them. I want to see combat sports do better.”

Boxing promoter/manager Bob Arum has slandered MMA every chance he gets, once even referring to its participants as “homosexual skinheads.” As such, you won’t catch White saying anything nice about Arum anytime soon even if he appreciates the sport Arum is associated with.

“Bob Arum is a (expletive). For some reason he hates the fact that this sport is doing well, other guys are able to make money, other athletes are able to perform and do great things,” said White. “For some reason that bothers that old bastard.”

While he’s a fan of boxing, White has never understood why those associated with it are always so critical about every move the UFC makes.

“I’m not out there smashing everything they do, and saying negative things about boxing. Boxing is (expletive) great it’s an incredible sport. I wouldn’t be sitting here right now if it wasn’t for the sport of boxing. I’m not going to play Bob Arum’s little (expletive) game,” the outspoken executive concluded.

PHOTO CREDIT – TRIUMPH UNITED

• raker says:

I was a long time boxing fan and stayed loyal to the sport even after the growth of MMA and the UFC. However, the quality of UFC fights and entire cards along with the lack of qulaity of boxing cards and fights has turned me off of the sport. The last boxing PPV that I bought was De la Hoya-Pacquiao back in 2008. That card only had 4 fights on the PPV portion, 3 of which didn’t make it past the 2nd round. After the first 2 fights there was an approximate 45 minute break until the 3rd fight to try and get back on track…..45 minutes of pre-fight analysis for the main event. When the 3rd fight ended in the 1st round it was announced that the main event wouldn’t start until 8pm at the earliest which was still almost an hour away. So another 45 minutes of pre-fight commentary started.

At this point I really started to realize what an incredible product the UFC has created. For an almost $60 price tag I was getting a lot of commentary and not much in the way of a boxing event. Yet, when I buy a UFC PPV I always get a good experience. Undercard fights are recorded and played to fill in the gaps where needed. Also, the UFC has marketed themselves and their fighters in such a way that they are mainstream celebrities now. Boxing promoters had become so greedy and out of touch that the only way to get to know who a fighter was to buy a PPV. Not good enough to bring in new fans or interest in my opinion.

I still really like boxing but it has taken a back seat to MMA. Having your most marketable star being such a heel in Mayweather sure doesn’t help either. Unfortunately, the golden days of boxing have come an gone and it will be nothing more than a fringe sport in the future.

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

Boxing does not seem to be doing so terrible as of late…

it’s just hard with all those belts and champs steering clear of other champs… but I think it will get better… it has no choice but to evolve and centralize things better so that there is less belts and more competitive fights.

I’m super casual when it comes to boxing just catch fights here & there when flipping through tv channels so take my comments with a grain of salt.

• THEGUNNER says:

They wont put pacman vs mayweather because after that fight qho else is truly interesting? I love boxing but the ppvs are a lil over priced and not always worth it.

• Lord Faust says:

There is a lot of good boxing going on in Europe. The mainstream allure of boxing in North America is waning heavily, though; the stars are just not being developed. Good fights don’t happen because of promoter disputes (and greed), and a plethora of boxing organisations each trying to get their own sanctioning fees. The sport so fractured, it’s impossible to really follow a boxer without shelling out a lot of money on pure spec.

The UFC has had some stumbles — with injuries being a huge cause — and 2012 was not kind to them. That said, the UFC’s model of broadcasting an entire event (~11 fights) in some form or another; Facebook fights, prelims on FX, and the PPV. That’s value. Also, the UFC’s production value is typically very high and the pacing of their event broadcasts is almost always solid.

• Dufresne says:

I’m in the same boat as you raker, boxing used to be one of my main sports but I just can’t justify the price of the cards for the fights they’re putting on. There is some great boxing going on all over the world, but because of the crazy promotional contracts and the huge number of “champs” it’s all but impossible to actually watch a fight with any real impact.

When I was at the UFC Fight Night down in New Orleans last year, I saw Dana watching the Mayweather fight on one of his monitors on his table between fights. I can almost guarantee you that no boxing promoter would be watching a MMA event during a boxing card, least of all Arum. I don’t usually agree with White when he insults public figures, but in this case I’ll make an exception. Bob Arum is a (expletive).

• GIKE MOLDBERG says: