Stefan Struve: “I don’t think about going five rounds. I think about going in there and finishing this fight.”

UFC heavyweight Stefan Struve may only be 24 but he’s been training for a decade and has the in-ring experience of a much older fighter. The life he’s led has created a dangerous competitor whose confidence has been boosted by an 8-3 record in the Octagon including a three-fight winning streak against the likes of Pat Barry, Dave Herman, and most recently Lavar Johnson.

This weekend the “Skyscraper” will go for his fourth straight in a headlining match-up with unbeaten Stipe Miocic at UFC on Fuel 5. For Struve, the bout marks one more opportunity to prove he’s chosen the right professional path and get him a step closer to his ultimate goal.

“Since I was fourteen years old I’ve dreamt of winning a title. My brother got me into fighting. I haven’t left the gym since. At 17, I had my first pro fight. At 20, I competed in the UFC. I’m only 24 but I’ve been in 32 professional fights,” stated Struve of his background in a UFC feature promoting the September 29 show. “I’m confident. On a good day I can beat anybody.”

Even though his meeting with Miocic is a main event and could go twenty-five minutes as a result, Struve isn’t approaching the bout in such a way based on his past success even if he’s getting in the best shape possible to prepare for a potential war.

“I only went past the second round once so I’m not really worried about five rounds. I’m planning to go in there and finish this fight in round one or round two by a knockout or submission,” explained Struve. “I don’t think about going five rounds. I think about going in there and finishing this fight. That’s all.”

Struve holds an overall record of 24-5 with 22 stoppages, while Miocic is 9-0 with eight finishes to his credit.

Check out the complete “In Focus” video on the two heavyweights below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• darth_irritable says:

And that my friend, is why fighters gas in the second.

• That’s also why struve wins fights.

• hindsightufuk says:

this fight is among the worst main events in UFC history, right up there with Barry/Kongo.
    might be a good fight but get the fuck out

For a main event it does sound lackluster BUT Barry/Kongo had me jumping out of my seat and screaming, so you never know.

• The “name ” value might suck for a main event but look at this wat, both are on hot streaks with one decision between them. Both are well rounded and have shown a good toughness to carry them to later rounds. I think it makes for a great fight.

• moosebaby02 says:

Free Fights
    Free Fights
    whats the problem?

• hindsightufuk says:

Picket v Jabouin will be a great fight, Sass/Wiman or Mills/Ludwig or Manuwa raping Kingsbury or Watson/Tavares could all be great fights too. Personally I’m paying to go see Paul Sass, Jimmy Manuwa, Big Tom Kong & the Picket/Yves fight. It would have been nice to have a half decent main event, something meaningful, even a legend would be nice. i’m sure Struve/Miocic will be entertaining but its not the reason many people are paying to go see the event

• hindsightufuk says:

Moose, its not free if you’re paying for tickets to watch the event. Premium MMA in the UK is scarce, lots of local shows but not the volume of quality you guys get

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

The UFC was actually better off on Spike-no one has Fuel-especially casual fans and people new to the MMA scene-That being said-If Struve would learn how to use his reach, he would be a lot more consistent