Michael Bisping willing to fight Chris Weidman for title-shot if necessary

UFC middleweight Michael Bisping has done everything in his power to earn a crack at champion Anderson Silva other than avoid the occasional in-Octagon stumble. However, Bisping’s only blemish in his last six fights involved a questionable outpointing at the hands of Chael Sonnen and he’s since gotten back on the winning track by beating Brian Stann at UFC 152.

Based on his success, in addition to his level of marketability, Bisping has been very vocal about how deserving he feels he is of finally receiving the title-shot thus far eluding him in his career. However, he also understands he’s biased in the matter which is why “The Count” is open to a clash with Chris Weidman if required to prove his status as the division’s #1 contender.

“I was doing this when Chris Weidman was probably getting bullied out of his lunch money in school,” said Bisping in an interview with Inside MMA when asked about the rising star. “He’s undefeated, but he’s only had nine fights. Listen, the guy’s an incredible talent, and he’s a great prospect, but he’s still young in his career. Weidman’s got the youth and potential and all the tools to have a great career.”

“I’ve got nothing against Chris Weidman. It certainly seems that I do, because of I’ve been talking a lot of trash about him. I’m just trying to sell myself. I’m trying to provide for myself, and Chris Weidman’s a competitor against me. I wish him all the best,” continued Bisping before reasserting his position. “But, I think I deserve it, and my time’s now. If I’ve gotta fight Chris Weidman in the meantime? So be it.”

Weidman is believed to be next in line for Silva if he’s able to defeat Tim Boetsch in late December. With Bisping exiting UFC 152 without any injuries, he confirmed he will stay in shape just in case one of the two goes down as a means of being a potential replacement and truly cementing his spot at the top.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Bisping will be ragdolled by the young trojan warrior

• AlphaOmega says:

Good, I think him and Weidman should fight, for one it’ll see if Weidman is deserving, and two it means Bisping will have an actual win streak going into a title fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

*off topic* Where’d the thumbs go?

• darth_irritable says:

I thought he’d be ragdolled by Miller and Sonnen, but it didn’t work out that way. Bisping is going to be harder to beat here than I think he’s given credit for.

• MCM says:

Thumbs up AlphaOmega

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I noticed the disappearance of the thumbs earlier today too. Already emailed the tech guy.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Just for the record-thumbs up to anyone who thinks Bisping will get ragdolled!!

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Bisping is being underestimated if you think he is gonna get mauled and made to look foolish.

I don’t know if Bisping can beat Silva ,but I think he needs his shot. He is hungry and honesty less talented fighters have bypassed him.

I don’t know how good Weidman is. I saw him handle Mark Munoz easily but, Munoz never really struck me as an elite fighter just a good wrestler who out-powered lesser fighters.

I think Bisping would bring the fight to Weidman and make him work. Maybe Weidman is the future of the MW division and he out-classes everyone and shocks the world by beating Silva, I think he needs to get through a legit top 5 guy first.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Bisping is about as good as he is going to get at this point and quite frankly Weidman isn’t even close to his potential-The young lad is an absolute monster on the ground and God knows how good his standup is becoming-Bisping’s pitter patter style just begs for someone to just haul off and throw through his weak arm defense and KO the quickfooted Brit

Hope Boetsch derails the Weidman hype train and takes that shit down a notch.