Top 10 Biggest Fights that Never Happened

In MMA’s relatively short life span the sport has missed some intriguing bouts due to promotional shake-ups, retirement, injuries, or simply bad timing. Here’s a look at ten possible pairings most fans would kill to see…

Randy Couture vs. Fedor Emelianenko

Picture 9 of 10

“The Last Emperor” against “The Natural”? Talk about a no-brainer! At one time, this was the most talked about ‘superfight’ in the sport following Emelianenko’s free agency after the UFC purchased the remnants of PRIDE FC back in 2007. Speculation followed that Couture was offered somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,000,000 plus to stand across the ring from Fedor at an Affliction show, but wasn’t able to do so, as he was still under contract with the UFC. In an effort to make this dream fight a reality the UFC began efforts to lure Fedor into the Octagon. Try as they might, however, UFC never could get Emelianenko to ink that dotted line and fans lost out on one of the sport’s most anticipated fights in history.

• joe mo mma says:

Not too intriguing besides the last two.. I was huge pride fan before the UFC blew up to where it is now. there were so many fights between those promotions that would’ve been awesome.

kazushi sakuraba vs. hughes or penn
    chuck liddell (when he was champ) vs. wanderlei or hendo or shogun
    tito ortiz vs hendo
    mark coleman vs couture
    Mirko Cro Cop vs Arlovski (when he was champ)
    Fedor vs Lesnar wouldve been fun
    Bas Rutten vs. ANYONE haha

• raker says:

Would have liked to see the Shamrocks fight. Silva-Jones, Couture-Fedor, Belfort-Wanderlei II, Dos Santos-Overeem and maybe most of all for me.. Anderson vs. Roy Jones in a boxing match.

• Richard Stabone says:

Yeah Silva vs. Roy Jones would have been fun, and that Tito vs. Dana White boxing match could have been paired with it.

And this one is a reach but Mike Tyson vs. pretty much anybody… if Iron Mike hadn’t come along about 20 years too early.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I’m still kind of keen on a Mayorga vs. “Krazy Horse” true NHB match myself

• AlphaOmega says:

the Nick Diaz one said Nick Diaz vs. and that’s it, was it that way for just me, or everyone else too? Reading the little blurb under it I knew who they were talking about.

Also I felt like I was reading a yahoo article with the flip through pictures, except these actually worked, unlike theirs.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Mickey Rourke vs. Spike Lee is still on my radar

• MCM says:

I agree with joe mo mma. Not really intriguing until the last two. I don’t remember anyone ever calling for Franklin/Shogun, Hendo/Hughes or Chuck/Forrest.
    Now Aldo/Penn, Penn/Gilbert, Fedor/Barnett and Barnett/Mir are fights I would have liked to see.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Mir/Barnett could still happen as could, altho less likely Franklin/Shogun. Lesnar pre-injury vs. Fedor would have been interesting. Lidell/Wanderlei did happen and Chuck WAS champion. Happened a few years too late , but it did happen.

Edgar/Aldo is the most realistic superfight as it was booked then scrapped due to injury. At least we know both are willing and ready to throw down. Just have to wait for Aldo to heal up but I’m betting we see it first part of next year.

I don’t see GSP/Silva happening. GSP would be much smaller guy and I’m not sure it would end well for him. Besides he has several more ppl at 170 he could still fight.

Silva/Jones SHOULD happen as Silva will fight at 205 , but is ducking Jones and playing the friend card.

Penn/Aldo would have been good if Penn bothered to be motivated for it.

• AlphaOmega says:

Is Edgar/Aldo really a superfight now though since Frankie is going to fight at 145 for awhile? It’s pretty much just a fight now. And MCM my friend really wants to see Barnett/Mir, he loves both guys and loves the ground game.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Of course Edgar/Aldo is a superfight!!-Just because the soft fans don’t realize it doesn’t mean it isn’t-I still think that Nick Diaz versus GSP is a main event

• MCM says:

Ya’ll really think we’re gonna get Mir/Barnett? Has Barnett even had an offer for his last SF fight? Has there been any real talk of him coming to the UFC like there has been with Cormier? I’m not gonna hold my breath on Josh ever coming back to the UFC. I think it more likely that we get the Barnett/Fedor fight that should have been on the fucking list.

• AlphaOmega says:

Barnett tweeted saying fight talks was in the works, but how it sounded was with another org, I kinda think Dana doesn’t want Barnett, or else he would be in talks to come over like Cormier. I get the feeling they look at him as to much of a risk of another failed test.

• MCM says:

Barnett/Arlovski or Timmay in the World Series of Fighting?

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Barnett should be given a good contract for three fights with the UFC-All beefs aside-he provides some great matchups in the still shallow HW division-vs. MIR-NOG-OVEREEM-CAIN-JDS-BIG COUNTRY-SHANE-Hell, even KONGO-honorable mention goes out to-Travis Browne,Stipe,Struve,and the ever missing Rothwell