Forrest Griffin admits to failing drug test after Anderson Silva fight

Former UFC light heavyweight champ Forrest Griffin is one of the most popular fighters on the organization’s roster and a major reason MMA has grown into the global entity it is today. However, he’s also guilty of failing a drug test the public was never informed about…until today.

According to Griffin, he tested positive for Xanax after his infamous scrap with Anderson Silva at UFC 101. In the bout, Silva famously played with Griffin for three-and-a-half minutes before putting him him away with strikes in one of the most lopsided fights of either man’s career.

“I failed my drug test I think for Xanax,” Griffin admitted earlier today on The MMA Hour. “I had a doctor’s prescription (but) I did it the night before (the fight). I was nervous and I couldn’t sleep.”

Some might argue Griffin caught some shuteye during the match-up with Silva too, landing 3 out of 43 strikes he threw which made for such a silly affair Silva dropped his hands and taunted Griffin to hit him.  As far his reason for keeping things quiet over the past few years, Griffin asked, “What’s the point? Why add humiliation to a bad situation?”

While Griffin makes a valid point about why he didn’t say anything, the question is still why didn’t anyone else bring the issue to light, especially considering the Ultimate Fighter original went on to fight Tito Ortiz three months later.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t know if I posted it here, but after that fight I was positive Forrest was on *something*. He reminded me a lot of Filho, except Forrest wasn’t talking to a ghost in the ring. Just the sluggish, out-of-it demeanor he had; reminded me of when I was on Ritalin and felt like a shell of my former self.

• Angry Mike says:

Whatever happened to Filho? After his “ghost whisperer” fight with Sonnen, I never heard anything more about him.

• Lord Faust says:

He’s been kinda-sorta active on the fringe circuit. Ended up getting a Mike Tyson style tattoo on his face. Pulled out of more fights than he’s taken, and has knocked off a few unknowns.

His most recent fight was a one-sided affair with Ninja Rua. It was one of the more depressing things I’ve seen lately; Filho’s a very troubled guy, and Ninja’s the last guy who should be in a pro fight these days — dude’s going to be a sorry sight in a few years.

• hindsightufuk says:

that was a depressing fight, Ninja vs Filho, both guys have fallen so far.
    Ninja shouldnt fight, i’ve said before i think there is a good chance he could be the first big name casualty in MMA. poor fucker can barely talk

• AlphaOmega says:

What I just read is that he retired from MMA on oct 19th of last yr

• Kamakosmo says:

By saying “I did it the night before (the fight)”, he really means one hour before the fight, right?