Stephan Bonnar: “I know I am going to get punched and kicked and I’m cool with that.”

UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar knows he can take a punch. However, he’s not so certain the same is true of pound-for-pound great Anderson Silva.

The two men are set to square off on Saturday night at UFC 153 where Bonnar will do his best to prove the odds wrong and pull off an upset unlike any fans have seen in some time. Entering the effort, “The American Psycho” is fully aware of the likelihood he’ll eat a number of shots throughout the tilt. Of course, he also plans on dishing out damage as well, and in the end he feels his aggression and pace could prove to be the end of Silva’s impressive winning streak.

“Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. I asked for a big name, and I got the biggest name in the sport. But he’s fighting me at my weight, 205 pounds, and that gives me an advantage. He’s not fought anyone who will come at him like I have,” explained Bonnar in an interview with the UFC. “He’s the most accurate striker in the sport, so I know I am going to get punched and kicked and I’m cool with that. But he’s going to get roughed up too. He’s getting punched and kicked – by a much bigger man.”

Neither Bonnar or Silva have ever been stopped by strikes in their respective careers, though “The Spider” does have two submission losses on his record. Each man is currently riding the momentum of a series of consecutive wins, as Bonnar has found success in three straight with Silva clocking in at sixteen in a row.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• IF Stefan wins this it’ll be due to his size and grappling, not due to him knocking out Silva, if Anderson bobs and weaves like he did against Griffin, Bonnar will never touch him.

• Screenplaya says:

On one hand, i think Bonnar has the best chance of beating Silva of any of his UFC opponents. On the other hand, Bonnar has almost zero chance of winning. Dominant much?

• hindsightufuk says:

while Stephan does have a good chin he has had a tendency to turn and run at times while getting hit in recent fights. i like him, don’t wanna back against him, but also don’t want to see everything Anderson has achieved over the years belittled or turn to nothing due to losing this fight.
    i stave from an opinion on this one, just gonna enjoy what happens

• AlphaOmega says:

I have a gut feeling that Bonnar is going to put on a better show then people expect, a lot of people expect that he’s just being sacrificed, but I just have that feeling that he will do more. A part of me also thinks he might take a decision.

• Richard Stabone says:

The chances of Silva losing this fight are microscopic. It could happen if Silva suffered a fluke injury in the cage, or if he became distracted mid-fight when Chael arrives on the scene and cozies up next to his wife cageside. But outside of something like that, Silva is going to dominate.

The outcome is not in question, only how it will play out…

1) How aggressive will Silva be in bringing the fight to Bonnar vs. dancing/bobbing/weaving as he picks Bonnar apart with counter strikes? Probably a combination of both, with hopefully more of the former.

2) Will Bonnar survive 15 minutes of punishment and still be standing? Or will Silva become the first guy to legitimately finish him?

• Richard Stabone says:

BTW, excellent work with the two Bonnar photos accompanying this article.

• AlphaOmega says:

You do know Richard, that if I end up being right, I’m going to totally rub it in your face right?

• Richard Stabone says:

As well you should! All part of the fun of watching these guys compete & jabbering about it beforehand.

I’ll be thoroughly impressed if Bonnar lasts the full 15 minutes in defeat. But that’s his ceiling in this one.

• THEGUNNER says:

Yeah those pics are workout insperation. I think if the ufc isnt gonna give title shots when and where their due they should make good match ups like this one at least we get to see a good night full of fights. I cant say the same aboit the china card.