Jake Shields suspended for six months after testing positive for drug use

He may be a vegetarian, but it appears Jake Shields has no problem putting banned substances in his body. According to a press release from his camp, Shields tested positive for a banned substance following his fight with Ed Herman at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado and has been handed a six-month suspension as a result.

“Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules,” admitted Shields in a prepared statement, confirming he was suspended as a result. “This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC and I have apologized to them and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.”

The actual substance Shields used was not mentioned.

Fighters suspended for drug use are typically fined a portion of their purse and any related wins are overturned. While the CBC most likely have already done so, the statement only refers to the suspension.

“I accept the Boxing Commission’s decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time,” concluded Shields.

Neither the UFC or CBC have commented on the matter.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Richard Stabone says:

Jeez, even when this guy tests positive for PEDs it’s boring.

• Planterz says:

He wasn’t suspended for PED,s he was suspended for a banned substance. That could be anything from weed to painkillers to antidepressants to steroids. The CO athletic commission doesn’t disclose the specifics. Just that he had a “banned substance” in his body. 5OzOP needs to get their facts straight.

That said, a 6 month suspension means I don’t have to watch Jake Shields bore the living snot out of me for the next half-year. And I’m just fine with that.

• Richard Stabone says:

Technically, you are correct. Realistically, you don’t think their carefully prepared statement wouldn’t have suggested the banned substance was not performance-related (if in fact that was the case)?

• moosebaby02 says:

Same camp as the Diaz’s brothers right???? hmmmmmm

• Dufresne says:

Have a brownie. Don’t be scared, homie.

• Big Stank says:

So weed gets a 1 year suspension and PEDs only get u a 6 month suspension. Something doesn’t seem right.

• moosebaby02 says:

Was thinking that Stank but wasnt sure if it was PEDs