Jon Jones softening stance on future fight with Chael Sonnen

A month ago UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones made it clear he had no interest in a showdown with Chael Sonnen, as Sonnen was quick to call “Bones” after announcing his intent to move up from middleweight to 205 pounds and has been needling him ever since. However, until this week, Jones refused to waver in his opposition to fighting Sonnen, pointing to the smack-spewing scrapper’s lack of success in the division and stating he had no interest in allowing Sonnen to talk his way into a title-shot.

Now, based on the overwhelming amount of noise he’s heard from the public regarding a potential meeting between the two, it sounds like Jones has reconsidered the rumble and might be willing to give it a go after all.

“The more I realize how bad the fans want to see me fight Sonnen the more I am beginning to disregard whether he deserves it or not,” wrote Jones on Twitter. “A part of me wants to do it for the fans (and) the other part of me feels as if it delegitimizes the importance of (the) championship.”

Not one to pass on an opportunity for exposure, Sonnen wasted little time in replying to the 25-year old’s statements, responding, “You don’t GIVE. I TAKE. Remembah that, Bonesie-Boy.”

Currently Sonnen set to make his light heavyweight debut in the Octagon this December against Forrest Griffin, while Jones is in the process of healing up from an injured arm he sustained at UFC 152 after refusing to tap to an Armbar from opponent Vitor Belfort.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Doesn’t really matter either way…

• THEGUNNER says:

He shouldn’t get a choice.

• Richard Stabone says:

“Earn a title shot instead of trying to talk your way into one, and I’ll be glad to hurt you.”

Jones said everything that needed to be said earlier this year, but he just couldn’t leave it at that, then or now.

• MCM says:

Jones “A part of me wants to do it for the fans (and) the other part of me feels as if it delegitimizes the importance of (the) championship.”

Yet fighting Belfort DOESN’T “delegitimize” the championship? Shut the fuck up man.

The only reason anyone was talking about Sonnen being in the cage with you was as a last minute replacement. That ship has now sailed and Sonnen is scheduled to fight Forrest. So fucking drop it.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

It is impossible to make people happy if you are Jon Jones isn’t it?

People holler and cry, bitch, complain because he wouldn’t face Sonnen on short notice leading to event being canceled.

People say
    ‘He doesn’t listen to those who buy the PPV ” “the fans want to see that fight” “Selfish” “Arrogant that he decides his opponent and not UFC”.

Now he says he is open to giving the fans the fight they wanted and people STILL bitch, cry and complain.

Why even bother if you are gonna hate him no matter WHAT he does? People complained he refused a fight then he takes a fight with someone who did not earn a title shot, but made it exciting anyway and you still bitch.

What EXACTLY would make you happy? I think some people just want to hate someone and no matter what happens they will find justification for doing so.

• Richard Stabone says:

Jones’ stance towards Chael & Vitor seems pretty consistent to me — he wasn’t gonna fight either guy at UFC 151 on a week’s notice, he was open to fighting either of them at 152, but he didn’t feel either was truly deserving of a title shot.

With a quick search I wasn’t able to find the exact quote but I recall Jones basically saying he didn’t feel Vitor deserved a title shot but still respected him as a legend of the sport. So when it comes to Chael & Vitor the only difference was in the amount of respect Jones gave each guy… “Belfort doesn’t deserve a title shot but he’s an original legend of the sport” … “Chael doesn’t deserve a title shot and he’s a jackass.”