For the past three weeks, Strikeforce heavyweight Daniel Cormier had been under the impression he’d be seeing action on November 3 in his old college stomping ground of Oklahoma City even though original opponent Frank Mir went down with an injury and withdrew from the fight. Names like Pat Barry, Fabricio Werdum, and Andrei Arlovski were floated around as possible replacements for Mir, giving the unbeaten Cormier hope a match-up would eventually surface and the show would go on as planned.
Fast-forwarding to yesterday, Strikeforce officials revealed they had decided to axe the event completely based on the health-related woes of middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and bantamweight contender Sara McMann coupled with the lack of time to find adequate replacements for the affected outings. The news left fans shocked and disappointed, though no individual was hit so hard by the development as Cormier who apparently learned about the situation alongside the rest of the MMA world.
“I wish somebody would have told me something. This is unbelievable. I’m very upset. I just want to be informed. That’s all. I don’t think that’s asking for too much,” said Cormier in a conversation with MMAFighting.
The 33-year old followed up on the sentiment in a message on Twitter where he wrote, “Very sad about not fighting but at the end of the day something positive will come from it. More time to train. I am with a good company…Things will be ok. Very sad and upset but it’ll work out. (UFC, Strikeforce, Showtime Sports) are all top fight organizations. Will be fine.”
Cormier did not mention what his next move would be, though it’s likely he’ll take to the ring in January when Strikeforce will allegedly return to the Showtime airwaves with a “stacked” lineup.
PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE