Quinton Jackson answers Glover Teixeira’s challenge

UFC light heavyweight Glover Teixeira lived up to the massive amount of hype surrounding him once again by mashing Fabio Maldonado into a fine paste over the ten minutes the two tussled last night at UFC 153. Though the 32-year old ate a stiff shot in the closing moments of the opening round, Teixeira teed off on Maldonado throughout the bulk of the battle and ultimately drew a doctor’s stoppage based on the beatdown he issued.

During his in-ring interview after the win, Teixeira took the opportunity to issue a challenge to former champion Quinton Jackson who he was originally scheduled to face before “Rampage” went down with an injury and was forced to withdraw from the event. However, unlike most moments involving one competitor calling out another, Teixeira kept things extremely respectful and even labeled Jackson as one of his idols.

Earlier today, Jackson responded to Teixeira’s statements where he let the Brazilian know the interest in a bout between the two was mutual.

“Set up that fight with Glover please,” exclaimed Jackson in a Tweet directed at UFC President Dana White. “Let’s give him what he wants. Fans, I won’t let you down.”

Jackson has been very vocal about his desire to duke it out with an opponent who is open to standing up and entertaining fans rather than “hump” him on the ground to earn a decision win. In Teixeira he should receive just that, as the 19-2 finisher has won seventeen straight fights including sixteen stoppages during the streak.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Careful what you ask for Rampage.

• raker says:

I dunno… Rampage’s left hook is a lot nastier than Maldonado’s. Either way it should be a really good fight.

• MCM says:

I don’t think so raker. But I do know that Rampage’s chin is a lot weaker than Maldonado’s.
    I was hoping this fight would’ve taken place last night as Rampage is a bigger name, but I don’t mind watching Glover smash him in Rampage’s last bout.

• Creature says:

I have a feeling this is going to be some skull crushing madness fight til one of them goes down.. Id like to see Glover get the W. this guy is growing on me fast

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Jackson’s hasn’t been knocked out since 2005 and the only two men to stop him with strikes were not only in their primes but among the best fighters the sport has ever seen (not to mention one of the finishes came by way of soccer kicks).

Not saying Teixeira couldn’t KO him or Jackson could endure the beating Maldonado did but I fail to see how you “know” his chin is “a lot weaker”. You’re mah boy MCM, but C’MON MAN…

• raker says:

A lot weaker than Maldonado’s? Based on what? Maldonado has a great chin no doubt but Rampage ain’t no slouch either.

I stand by my original point that Rampage’s left hook is lethal, and after seeing Texeira get wobbled by Maldonado this fight is a toss up, IMHO.

• Lord Faust says:

I favour Glover here, but he literally only throws power hooks. The Kingsbury fight didn’t tell me a lot, but even as he was wailing on Maldonado, there are a lot of holes in Glover’s stand-up. I really want to see this fight, but with neither guy using much footwork and swinging for the fences, it’s going to be closer to a coin-flip than I initially speculated.

• AlphaOmega says:

Rashad rocked Rampage in their fight, and Bader rocked him as well, didn’t put him down but did make him stumble and see birds for a bit.

Although I still maintain I want to see someone take Rampage down for 3 rds and grind him out.

• MCM says:

There’s no doubt Rampage still has a chin, but did you guys see the abuse that Maldonado took? That was a “Big Nog in his prime” type beating, and he was still coming forward!
    And Maldonado wasn’t taking punches from a Jon Fitch or Nick Diaz or someone that is know for their multiple punches doing damage, Glover is a HARD hitter. The last time couple times Rampage faced true power punchers with good technique in their prime like Glover, were in fact the last times he was KO’d (Shogun and Wandy) and the last time he got a meaningful KO (Chuck). Rampage hasn’t faced someone like Glover in over 5 years, but he has been wobbled sever times in his fights since.
    If you’re gonna throw out that Rampage hasn’t been stopped since 2005 then you also have to throw out that he hasn’t stopped anyone (outside of a washed up Wandy) since 2007. But somehow an old, out of shape, shell of his former self Rampage is gonna be the one to stop Glover? Well….only one way to find out.

• darth_irritable says:

Yeah, but MCM, he just went three rounds with Jones, and got subbed – he more or less neutralized out Jones’ freaky striking game. No doubt Glover’s got power, but the step up in competition to go from Maldonado to Rampage is similar to when Matt Hamill tried, and look how that worked out. See also Rogers, Brett.

I tend to agree with Faust – this seems like a coin toss at this point in their careers, mostly because we’ve not seen what Glover can do against top tier competition.

• Lord Faust says:

Glover does have good wrestling and ground work, but if he decides to make it a boxing match then Rampage’s thick cranium and heavy hands can definitely play spoiler.

I would expect a bit of striking and, unless Page gets staggered early, Glover will probably have to wrestle his way to a win. A zombified Maldonado was able to land a few punches, Rampage’s power is still scary.

Man… I am salivating thinking about this fight. Sounds like there’s a very small margin for it to be boring.

• MCM says:

@darth_irritable, But Jones isn’t a power puncher. He’s a dynamic striker, but he doesn’t have the KO power like Glover. And I don’t think he neutralized anything since he got picked apart he entire fight.

@Faust, When was the last time you saw Rampage’s power? The Rampage that fought in PRIDE and came to the UFC hasn’t been seen in over 5 years. The guy that was known for his KO power couldn’t put down Keith Jardine or Forrest Griffin and has only shown up in shape Once in his past 5 fights.

Like I said, the only way to find out is to let ‘em bang, and Dana seems to be on board with it.
    Rampage still has better TDD than people give him credit for and Glover is not that good a wrestler so I think you’re right Faust in that this is gonna be an exciting fight no matter what.

• Lord Faust says:

The power is still there, but he’s gotten sloppy and just looks for single power shots. Technique degrades much faster than raw power.

Rampage KO’ed Chuck before his chin was shot (and probably contributed to it, although Rashad nearly decapitated him).

• THEGUNNER says:

Rampage isnt as serious about his carrer as glover that means a lot. I expect rampage to bullshit thru his training and get beat. Glover took a punch that would have ko ed someone else. So his chin isnt suspect to me.

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t think Glover’s chin is suspect, I think his defensive boxing — or total lack thereof — is.