Jon Jones open to coaching Ultimate Fighter but not against Daniel Cormier

With record-low ratings, the UFC’s long-running reality series the Ultimate Fighter is in need of a much-needed injection of excitement. Recent seasons, including the current one, have failed to capture the same magic as earlier runs for whatever reason and many fans are wondering if it might be time to retire TUF for some fresh ideas.

Someone who still sees the show as a viable franchise is light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. “Bones” belief in TUF’s remaining potential is so high he’s even willing to attach his name to it, taking the time out of his schedule to serve as a head coach assuming one other factor was in line as well.

“I’d be interested in a TUF season in the future, but it’d take the right opponent,” explained Jones in an interview with ESPN.

A candidate he’s not interested in competing against, however, is Strikeforce heavyweight Daniel Cormier who has expressed a desire in the past to step into a spot opposite Jones on TUF even if it meant slimming down to 205 pounds to do so.

“He would want that, wouldn’t he,” asked Jones rhetorically before adding, “He’s a relatively unknown (fighter). I want to do it when the fans are aware of both guys and when it’s spunky and when it raises a lot of viewers. I’m not here to raise his stock.”

Jones is currently sidelined with an arm injury sustained in his win over Vitor Belfort at UFC 152. Comparably, Cormier was left twiddling his thumbs with Strikeforce’s recent cancellation of a November card but is expected to make his final appearance under the promotion’s banner in January before joining the UFC shortly thereafter.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/STRIKEFORCE

• Screenplaya says:

Unless Jones is calling out Anderson Silva (the obvious uncrowned champ at 205 pounds), then I am not very interested in what he has to say. He must have seen the Silva/Bonnar fight, right? He must know what everyone who saw that fight knows: Silva isn’t just a better pound-for-pound fighter than Jones, he is just plain better than Jones.

• AlphaOmega says:

I wonder if they’ve ever tried getting Silva to be a coach?

• hindsightufuk says:

just do another comeback season for fuck sake.
    at least it will be entertaining.
    i really can’t think of any thing that will make me watch another straight up TUF.
    i like the different country versions and i like the country vs countries, but the US version has been dying for years

• Sumoninja says:

I’ll always be a (DVR) viewer of TUF, as I suspect most of us will, because at the end of the show there’s a free fight. Honetly, I like the tournament style, the more personal look at the fighters, and the pressure cooker that the house becomes too, but I’ve been struggling for years now with the drama. I just don’t see it as the draw the producers and UFC obviously think it is. It’s fighting, and that’s exciting enough. I detest the inclusion of the token guy with emotional and maturity issues just to stir the pot. Anyone know where Junie Browning or Jesse Taylor is these days? Same place that Julian kid will be next year. No where. And some legitimate fighter missed a shot because he’s in the house…and don’t tell me it’s not by design.
    I love the sport, hate the drama. It’s exciting enough by itself.

• matt says:

He doesn’t want to Cormier, machida, silva, sonnen, shogun. Who does Jon jones want to fight? I can’t stand this guy and I can’t wait until he gets beat. Although, it might be a very long time until that happens.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 1

• MickeyC says:

Don’t know who DC is? I call Bullshit! Any real fan, not only knows who he is , but are waiting fro him to come to UFC and shake it up. I think his wrestling is far better than Jones, and he has proven he can get inside and knock out bigger longer fighters. But they may as well put Jones on Tuff. I got the feelin hes gona be out 6-8 months with this arm anyway.

• MickeyC says:

Jones/Silva Tuff would have the highest ratings yet.

• AlphaOmega says:

I really want the Forrest/Bonnar just because it won’t be about drama and will be full of laughs, sadly that’s taboo for the UFC

• Richard Stabone says:

“He doesn’t want to Cormier, machida, silva, sonnen, shogun. Who does Jon jones want to fight?”

Jones has already beaten Shogun & Machida convincingly. Sonnen has never won a fight in the UFC at LHW. Cormier has never fought in the UFC period.

I’m pretty sure Jones would like to fight Dan Henderson.

As for the potential JBJ-Silva superfight, it all rests on Silva. If he warms to Dana’s prosposal to make that fight happen, it’ll obviously happen at 205 and it’s not like Jones would say ‘no thanks’ to a fight in his own weight class that makes sense from a rankings & stylistic perspective, that every MMA fan on the planet wants to see happen.

And regarding Cormier, that dude is an absolute beast and I’m anxious to see what type of impact he’ll have in the UFC’s HW division. But I think the LHW talk is dumb. He’s not the biggest of dudes in the HW division, but he’s very similar to Cain in terms of size. The speed & power they have at HW lets them overwhelm heavyweights in a way that might not be possible at 205, particurly after what would be a very grueling weight cut that would sap some of Cormier’s strength & possibly stamina. In other words, just because it might be physically possible for a guy to make a lower weight class doesn’t mean it would be beneficial to his performance in the octagon. That’s where I see things with Cormier.

But either way, I completely understand Jones’ attitude in blowing off the suggestion of being paired with Cormier at this point in time. Much as folks may dislike him, Jones has won 5 straight title fights and put himself on a level that should be above silly speculation about fighting a guy who’s yet to compete in the UFC and never competed at LHW as a mixed martial artist.

• raker says:

Not here to raise his stock? There is a chance for everyone to raise their stock when they fight Jones. Wtf??? There is way too much refusal to fight certain guys, especially by the top fighters. I miss guys like Muhammad Ali, Tyson and even Randy Couture that were willing to take risks and fight all comers.

• Lord Faust says:

Next TUF is Jones -vs- Sonnen anyway. They fight in April.

Jones was advised to take an extended layoff after having his arm examined.

• stone says:

Rumors on another site are saying “Jones vs Sonnen coaching TUF and fighting in April”….idk how true it is just for the simple fact that Sonnen hasn’t even beat Forrest yet

• raker says:

Just read on mmajunkie that the Forrest-Sonnen fight is off. That’s too bad…. I’m actually more interested in that fight. I was ok with Sonnen as a replacement fighter on short notice for 151 but, for an event planned several months away, there are better options. Apparently trying to improve TUF ratings.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Even if Jon Jones agreed to fight the entire LHW division in one night ppl would still hate him because it wouldn’t be in the order they want.

• Richard Stabone says:

Assuming the TUF talk is true… Chael Sonnen jumps Hendo for a LHW title shot? I know they’re training buddies, but that can’t sit well with old man Dan. And I guess DW wasn’t bluffing with the Lyoto-Hendo talk.

I was mildly surprised by the recent announcement of Reem getting an immediate title shot in early 2013 on the heels of his PED suspension and having zero fights during 2012. But this takes it to a whole different level. Chael is coming off a loss and has never won a fight at LHW in the UFC… so he gets a title shot for helping score ratings on TUF? Wow…this is a pretty desperate maneuver. Ratings have always been a factor (understandably so; the UFC is in the business of entertainment) but this is crazy town stuff. Perhaps some mounting pressure from the FOX peeps…

• hindsightufuk says:

seems like Chael is just too popular among white middle american fans for Zuffa to pass up.
    One last desperate attempt to keep TUF alive. Fuck Chael Sonnen

• Lord Faust says:

They don’t get it. Lesnar was their biggest draw and his TUF ratings tanked.

• AlphaOmega says:

They are banking on the trash talk, Jones has shown he has think skin and takes it to personally, and Chael is the king of trash talk, I think Jones is screwed in the house, he will take things Chael says personally and might let his emotions get the better of him.

I’m still hoping for a Bonnar/Forrest TUF because this drama shit is old.

• AlphaOmega says:

thin skin, not think, I fixed it once already too, guess I re-added the k.

• Lord Faust says:

My biggest gripe about TUF has been the continually declining talent level of the fighters. This current crop was enough for me to just say “no more”. I am not even watching this season anymore.

They need better incentives to lure better fighters. And I am sick of the format. Seriously, have you seen the TUF UK show… The “pranks” include the following: hiding the other team’s luggage, and — brace yourself — LEAVING A DIRTY KITCHEN FOR THE OTHER TEAM. OHHH, SNAP!

Just put this decade-old “douchebags in a house, antics ensue” formula out to pasture. It’s so beyond tired.

• AlphaOmega says:

Sadly that’s the way humor is going anymore, just cheap quick hipster laughs. I mean the Faber/Cruz TUF Faber’s big prank was to work out in their underwear..ooohh funny.

• MCM says:

I love what you’ve been doing Screenplaya, keep it up.

• darth_irritable says:

I love Sonnen. He knowingly and consciously turns the douche up to 11, and he’s self aware enough to understand what an ass-clown he is.

The trash talk for this season should be EPIC.

Do you know what weight class it is?

The main problem for this show is the mainstreaming of the sport. With so many shows, and such an avenue for career (Titan, MFC, UFC, Bellator, Strikeforce etc) the pool of untapped, unknown talent is just smaller, so the talent level is declining. If they did a comeback show again, that would be awesome.