Nick Diaz still interested in fight with Anderson Silva

Anderson Silva’s smashing of light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar last weekend at UFC 153 was yet another example of the Brazilian beating an opponent down in highlight-reel fashion. “The Spider” is 16-0 since signing with the UFC including fourteen finishes, the latest of which further cemented his status as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport.

As intimidating as Silva’s stats may be, one peer who is far from afraid of the challenges the middleweight champion presents is Nick Diaz. Despite being the smaller competitor, Diaz simply likes to scrap regardless of the scenario and enjoys testing himself against the best MMA has to offer.

Diaz’s manager/coach Cesar Gracie went online this week to let the world know Diaz still wants to fight Silva though UFC President Dana White isn’t necessarily keen on the idea. Diaz’s interest in a showdown with Silva was initially revealed in late July where it was stated he’d even fight the fan-favorite at 185 pounds if need be.

The 37-year old Silva has been vocal about his desire to take on welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre in the coming months, seeking the biggest fights possible before calling it a career. However, after Diaz’s name was originally thrown around, Silva’s management acknowledged the bout made for an intriguing possibility considering the competitor’s fanbase and fighting style.

Diaz is currently serving a suspension resulting from marijuana metabolites being found in his system after a controversial loss to Carlos Condit this past February. He has been contesting the Nevada Athletic Commission’s ruling ever since in hopes of a faster return to the ring, though with the amount of time remaining on his sentence it may become a moot point at some point soon.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

I think it’d be kinda funny if the commission is like ok ok we give in you can come back and fight early..at the end of January.

• hindsightufuk says:

huge fan of Nick Diaz, no idea how he could ever win this fight, but fuck i’d love to see it

• Richard Stabone says:

I can’t help but laugh every time this topic comes up. I just get a kick out of picturing Nick Diaz with both arms extended out in front of him, pawing at the air, mumbling “c’mon bitch!” as he moves forward toward Anderson freaking Silva. That would be fun while it lasted.

• Screenplaya says:

Nick Diaz is my favorite fighter to watch, and I would love it if this matchup were made. Of course, I think JBJ should be demanding a shot at Silva and his unofficial title as King of the Light Heavywieghts.

• sdouglasmc says:

The more I think about this match up, the more I think it’s crazy to even talk about – yet here I am commenting on it. Fun to watch, okay. Would I pay $50? No and Anderson only fights as a headliner on PPV.

You know the only way Diaz could possibly win? He can’t. That’s it.

• jasonah says:

hell, the way the U.F.C is making fight’s now days, why not ! I would put my money on Diaz not making it out of the second round!!!!

• Richard Stabone says:

Yeah, if the fans want to see Nick Diaz fight Anderson Silva for the MW belt in early 2013, why the heck wouldn’t Dana make it happen?

Nick has never won a fight in the UFC’s MW division, and he’s coming off a loss which is, based on today’s announcement, a perfect f*cking recipe to put a title fight together. As long as it’ll sell, baby!!