Jon Jones blasts Chael Sonnen for TRT use

From the moment the UFC revealed light heavyweight champion Jon Jones would be clashing with Chael Sonnen in 2013 after the two go head-to-head as coaches on the Ultimate Fighter 17 there was no doubt the rivalry would involve a ton of trash talk considering Sonnen’s reputation for spoken smackdowns. However, during a conference call promoting the pairing, it was actually the 25-year old title-holder who fired off some of the biggest shots.

Jones’ animosity towards Sonnen seemed to in large part stem from the former middleweight contender’s use of testosterone replacement therapy, questioning what sort of shape Sonnen would actually be in if he let nature take its course.

“I think it’s absolutely terrible if you’re going to consider yourself an athlete. TRT would be perfect for Chael Sonnen if he wasn’t competing in one of the toughest sports in the world,” said Jones when asked to elaborate on the topic. “Right now I’m 25, I’m sure I’m not as giddy and happy-go-lucky as I was when I was 20, so if I take a drug at my 25-year-old age and have the energy of a 20-year-old, it just wouldn’t be fair. Everyone would hate me if I did it, but Chael Sonnen gets to do it? I think it’s bull-crap.”

Sonnen was much more tight-lipped when it came to his opportunity to respond, declining to make a comment.

Given the strength of Jones’ opinion on TRT it seems likely this won’t be the last time fans hear “Bones” refer to the controversial treatment. Of course, considering Jones’ 2012 run-in with the law due to driving drunk, and similar remarks in the past, chances are Sonnen will be bringing Jones’ substance-oriented issues up as well. In the end, the two will face off on TUF 17 as coaches and in the Octagon on April 27 to settle the score.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

Bitch to the commissions, then.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I question how much JBJ really cares but, you have to say something. Chael will do enough talking for both of them and not saying something will be attacked as a weakness.

• Lord Faust says:

I think he hates TRT in principle. I doubt he feels threatened by Chael at all; I think this is one of those fights where Greg’s going to have to remind Jones during training camp to not treat this as a joke.

He had the same — albeit less snarky — stance when he was scheduled to face Hendo.

• MickeyC says:

If thats the best trash he can digg up he better forfit the verbal battle now. Chael will not only blow jones short comings out of proportion he’s gona out flat make shit up. And if yous ask Chael about tje TRT suspention and the commision he explaims how he made oit like a champ. I mean dosen’t he now consult the NAC in the arwa of TRT? I think I read or heard that somewhere.

• MickeyC says:

Excuse spelling. large fingers small touchh screen haha

• Lord Faust says:

The NSAC flat-out offered Chael a consulting job after his last TUE request hearing.

It’s on the laundry list of reasons the NSAC is slightly less credible than the wolf that gave me strong assurances my hen-house would be safe under its watch.

• AlphaOmega says:

He works for the NAC explaining getting TRE and TRT to fighters and how to use it. Jones might be screwed though if all he does is focus on that, he could of course rub in how Chael lost to A.Silva, but then again Chael could just point out that Jones constantly refuses to fight Silva. Then I’m sure Chael won’t let the DUI go, or the fact that Jones fought his old friend after saying he wouldn’t. There’s just more ammo for Chael then there is Jones I think.

• AlphaOmega says:

sorry TUE, not R

• Lord Faust says:

Jones can just sit back and mix in ego with jabs about his win / loss record. If Chael mentions the DUI, Jones can mention Chael’s own legal issues.

MikeyC does make a good point, in that Chael can always just invent stuff. “HE’S BEEN DUCKING ME FOR YEARS!” etc