On the surface, UFC welterweight Carlos Condit’s upcoming clash with Georges St-Pierre at UFC 154 may just appear to be a title-fight. However, to Condit the thought of having his hand raised is far bigger than simply winning a belt or enjoying the fame/fortune coming with the distinction. Rather, the 28-year old sees an opportunity to fulfill a dream he’s had since first deciding to test his skills as a professional Mixed Martial Artist – being named as the best in the world.
“I’m on the precipice of achieving my life goal,” said Condit in an interview with the UFC when asked about the November 17 match-up with GSP. “He’s the best in the world. He’s one of the best this sport has ever seen. It’s a huge fight with a lot of buzz around it. Those are the kinds of fights I want to be in.”
Condit also acknowledged his road to victory is not an easy one considering St-Pierre’s accomplishments in the Octagon. The 22-2 champion is seen by most as one of the top two pound-for-pound fighters in MMA and is on a nine-fight winning streak including success against some of the sport’s best.
“Georges is a very technical, precise striker. Great jab, great fundamentals,” said Condit of his adversary before pointing out a few of his own qualities he sees as being a threat to St-Pierre’s reign atop the division. “I’m a different fighter every time I come out. I have a lot of new weapons in my arsenal. My strength, my conditioning, my athleticism have come up a considerable amount, and just mentally I’m in a good place.”
“The Natural Born Killer” has won five straight fights with strike-based stoppages of Dan Hardy, Dong Hyun Kim, and Rory MacDonald. He was last seen narrowly outpointing Nick Diaz this past February to earn an interim title in case a knee injury GSP had previously suffered didn’t heal as fast as planned.
Check out the conversation with Condit below:
PHOTO CREDIT – UFC