Michael Bisping feels privileged to be part of UFC’s middleweight division

Say what you will about polarizing pugilist Michael Bisping, but there’s no question “The Count” has played a large part in making the UFC‘s middleweight roster as interesting as it’s been over the past few years. He brings a fan-friendly style to the ring every time out and is guaranteed to get folks interested in a bout regardless of who he’s facing.

The one thing eluding Bisping thus far in his career has been a title-shot,  and by default a divisional belt, though the 33-year old Brit is confident one will eventually come his way. While champion Anderson Silva might be preoccupied with the notion of a super-fight against fellow pound-for-pound great Georges St-Pierre, Bisping doesn’t see the scrap ever materializing and is ready to pounce if the UFC comes calling.

“It sounds to me, reading between the lines, I don’t think GSP’ is really keen on it,” explained Bisping in an interview with MMAJunkie. “I think he realizes that it’s not a good fight for him, to be honest. He’s said it’s a giant pain in the ass to always talk about Anderson Silva, and I’m sure it would be a giant pain in the jaw, as well.”

And, even if by some chance St-Pierre changes his mind and takes the tilt, Bisping won’t bat an eyelash because he understands there are plenty of other options for him considering the talent he’s surrounded by.

“I think 185 pounds is the most exciting division in the UFC right now. It certainly has the best champion, and it certainly has the most challengers to the belt,” said Bisping, alluding to fellow contenders like Alan Belcher, Tim Boetsch, and Chris Weidman. “There’s no shortage of contenders. There’s no shortage of exciting fights for me at 185. I’m privileged to be a part of it.”

The 23-4 Bisping is 5-1 in his last six fights including wins over Dan Miller, Yoshihiro Akiyama, and most recently Brian Stann.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Creature says:

I would really like to see Bisping fight Franklin after hes done with Cung, I think if Bisping can find a way to beat Rich then he has done enough to earn a shot in my eyes.

But i do agree the MW division has become pretty active as of late, Any combination of fights with Silva/Bisping/Belcher/Franklin/Weidman/Belfort sounds damn good to me/

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

If Anderson Silva wasn’t as dynamic and talented as he is Bisping would have gotten his title shot. If Silva was not in the division I would not be surprised if Bispig was the champ.

Love him or hate him dude comes prepared and is always ready to fight

• AlphaOmega says:

I wonder if Bisping would be feeling the same way if GSP decided that he did want to move up to 185 permanently

Bisping talks an awful lot lately

• Screenplaya says:

For my money, Bisping is the MW #1 Contender. Since Jon Jones is unavailable, and GSP is just coming back, I think it makes sense to have Silva defend the title against Bisping soon, and then see how the horizon looks in terms of superfights.

Let’s make Jones versus Silva happen (at any weight, it doesn’t matter) early in the summer next year. Then maybe we can have Silva vs GSP at New Year’s.

• AlphaOmega says:

Jones vs Silva won’t happen early in the summer next yr, Jones vs Sonnen is happening then

• elsicilian says:

Sorry Bisping … I would have to say that 155 is the most exciting division in MMA right now, followed by 205, heavyweight, and then maybe 185. But I’m still looking forward to seeing you fight again …