Ed Soares implies Anderson Silva willing to meet Georges St-Pierre half-way on weight

There’s no question UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva wants to see action against fellow pound-for-pound stud Georges St-Pierre at some point in the immediate future. “The Spider” has been very vocal with his interest, going so far as to hold off on accepting a title-defense in hopes St-Pierre is successful at UFC 154 and open to packing on a few pounds.

It also appears Silva is indeed okay with fighting GSP at a catch-weight instead of requiring the fan-favorite to move all the way up to 185.

“People argue back and forth (about) who the greatest pound-for-pound fighter in the world is. Some people say it’s Anderson, some people say it’s Georges St-Pierre. So I think the way to settle would be, I don’t know, do a catch weight at 177 1/2, right down the middle, and see what happens,” revealed Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, in an interview with Inside MMA. “I think it’ll be a fight that the fans want to see and it’ll be a great fight.”

St-Pierre has previously said he wouldn’t be willing to fight at middleweight unless the move was permanent based on the effect it would have on his physique. Likewise, he’s also expressed hesitation about even going halfway up, wondering if it was worth the trouble in comparison to going all the way.

Even if St-Pierre doesn’t work out as an opponent for Silva, Soares feels there are a number of options for the beloved Brazilian out there providing the type of “big fight” atmosphere the 37-year old is focused on at this stage in his storied career.

“Who knows what’s next? After that…maybe….a possibility it could be (Jon Jones) or maybe even Michael Bisping,” said Soares, concluding, “There are so many fighters out there that could potentially be big fights.”

Check out the conversation with Soares below:

PHOTO CREDIT – MMAJUNKIE/UFC

• Dachman says:

I just get the feeling Silva really does not want to fight Jones. There is no other fight I would want to see as much as Silva/Jones. Silva looks totally natural at 205 and him dropping to 177 seems like a way out of a Jones fight.

• raker says:

The only way that Ill be convinced that this is a good match up is if GSP makes a statement against Condit. If its a snoozer than I really won’t have much interest.

• MickeyC says:

Hes doin the same with jones as he did with GSP. Is called holding out for more money

• MCM says:

@MickeyC

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner!

• Richard Stabone says:

I wish Soares & Silva would let go of this. GSP isn’t fighting Silva any time soon. He’s been out of action for 18 months, and we’re finally gonna have some order restored in the WW division. Talk of pulling GSP right back out of the WW picture is stupid. And stop pretending like it’s a one-off super fight… GSP has continually said if he ever makes the jump in weight it’ll be a permanent move, and one in which he’ll take a slow, methodical approach to alter his diet & training regimen in order to properly reshape his body. Hell, here’s the article from just last month

“I will fight whoever they put in front of me…at 170.”

The 31-year old St-Pierre also addressed the possibility of a catch-weight bout seeing him meet Silva in the middle, saying he didn’t see the point in only going half-way considering the affect it would have on his body.

“I don’t know. I need to reconsider my whole career to do that. I don’t change weight easily, the way my physique is made,” St-Pierre explained. “If I’m gonna to go to 180, I’m gonna go at 185. Why bother five pounds when you can go up? So if I do that then I’m gonna stay there.”

I don’t know if they’re trying to distract from the Jones-Silva talk, to try to prevent it from gaining too much momentum, but whatever the motivation is I wish they’d just give it up already. Fight the next MW in line (either Bisping or the Weidman/Boetsch winner) or focus on the superfight that makes more sense (Jones). The GSP talk is a bunch of hot air.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Silva/Jones makes so much more sense. We already know Anderson looks good at 205 and has no issues with the weight or his movements or ANYTHING.

GSP is a average size WW. His training and natural athleticism is what sets him apart from the rest of the pack. He out thinks his opponents he doesn’t out muscle them. Why would he want to fight Silva? He would be giving up 15+ pounds come fight time against a very physical fighter. Just doesn’t add up when he has a good chance to continue to dominate at his natural weight class.

Silva would love the fight for the very same reasons.