Alistair Overeem expects to be fighting Cain Velasquez for the heavyweight title, not JDS

A ton of hype has been built up surrounding the possibility of UFC heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos defending his belt against accomplished contender Alistair Overeem in 2013. The two were supposed to meet in May before Overeem tested positive for an elevated T:E ratio brought on by testosterone use and the rivalry has been gaining steam ever since, even growing to the point the typically reserved Dos Santos asked UFC President Dana White for a shot at Overeem the instant the Dutchman was available to be licensed.

However, before “Cigano” sees action against Overeem he’ll have to get by former title-holder Cain Velasquez at UFC 155. And, in the opinion of Overeem, there’s a good chance Velasquez will serve as a spoiler and come away with a win.

“I think Cain is gonna do good in this next fight…I think he’s gonna get the belt,” said Overeem in a conversation with MMAInterviews. “I felt so the first time, then he lost the belt, but I think this time could be different. So I’ll not be fighting Dos Santos for the belt but Cain.”

Though Overeem has called Dos Santos out in other media appearances, the heavy-handed finisher ultimately doesn’t seem to care who he’s paired against as long as he has a chance to cement his spot at the top of the division.

“For me it’s very simple, I’m gonna fight whoever they put in front of me,” stated Overeem.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• raker says:

I don’t care which guy he fights, I just wanna see the belt defended. The heavyweight picture has been way too quiet.

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

• Lord Faust says:

Every belt has been criminally undefended this year, for various reasons. I agree with you, though, the HW title has been a quiet subject.

I like Reem’s approach here, he gets to poke at JDS a little — saying he doesn’t even think he’s good enough to retain the belt, let alone beat him — and is playing the role of Company Guy Who Just Wants to Fight which probably makes Dana happy.

People call Reem a lot of things, and maybe they’re deserved, but anyone who thinks the guy isn’t extremely intelligent is deluded. I want Alistair back in the cage, against anyone. Aside from his Werdum bout in SF, normally his fights are damn exciting. (I can watch him deliver his beatdown to Todd Duffee for days.)

• moosebaby02 says:

I got a feeling Reem is right on this one and raker. Its been far to long

• THEGUNNER says:

If cain does win it sets up a rubbermatch and who ever reem faces will be fun to watch either way.pray for no injuries.

• Creature says:

Im one of those people who doesnt get all worked up over the whole TRT/High Testosterone thing, I like Reem’s personality, and I like the way he fights. As long as a fighter doesnt come off as a total tool bag, and puts on decent fights then im a fan. Regardless of who Reem is fighting, or whatever circumstances are surrounding the fight, im going to watch because he usually puts on a good show.

• Richard Stabone says:

Reem is right.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I too think that Reem is right-would like to see him face Mir in the meantime

I think this is just Reem taking a dig at JDS….

the rematch is going to obviously look totally different then the first fight, I doubt either guy is going to rush the other and it’s going to be a slow start this go round… Personally I still see JDS knocking Cains block off.