Jon Jones opening up to idea of fight with Anderson Silva

After months of shrugging off suggestions about an in-ring meeting between the two, it looks like Anderson Silva and Jon Jones have both started softening their stance on the scrap, potentially setting up what would be one of the biggest fights in MMA history. Silva’s change of heart was hinted at a little less than two weeks ago with manager Ed Soares confirming the possibility, while Jones addressed the matter over the weekend where he said he didn’t necessarily want to fight Silva but couldn’t state with certainty he never would.

“I’m not saying that the fight will not happen. It can happen. But it’s not something I’m chasing. I do not believe that you need to fight with Anderson to be the best in the world,” explained Jones in an interview with Correio Braziliense, reiterating, “I really do not want to fight with Anderson. I respect him a lot. As I said several times, I do not want to be the guy who beat Anderson and do not want to be the guy who lost to him.”

For now Jones will focus on the task in front of him – a coaching stint on the Ultimate Fighter opposite Chael Sonnen who he’ll then defend his light heavyweight title against in late April. Jones is anxious to capitalize on the opportunity to get his hands on an opponent he genuinely dislikes.

“I hate Chael, I have zero respect,” blasted Jones.

TUF 17 begins taping soon and will air in January. Meanwhile, Silva is sitting idly by while waiting to see how Georges St-Pierre fares on November 17 against Carlos Condit in hopes of facing him in 2013. Still, while it once seemed as though the paths of Jones/Silva would run in a parallel fashion, it now looks like they may indeed cross at some point down the road.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

This fight NEEDS to happen, I don’t care what their feelings on the matter are.

• Screenplaya says:

I love GSP, and I like his chances against Anderson, especially at a catch-weight, due to the style matchup, but I now no longer have a great desire to see that fight.

After the destruction of Bonnar by Silva, the world needs to see Jones vs Silva. I don’t care if it is for a title. It can be at a “catch-weight” of 204 pounds, for all I care, but it needs to happen.

Then, I would really like to see Nick Diaz and Silva, just due to the style matchup, but that is a far-off dream that won’t come true.

• THEGUNNER says:

These super fights will never happen. The ufc barely will put a top ranking fight together let alone two or three number one guys going at it.with the other mma companies going down hill the ufc dont need to do any thing special to keep us around. If bellitor got ppv status and fighters like rampage went to fight for them then i think we ll see these super fights.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Jones/Silva will happen by mid 2013 at a catchweight of 192-believe me- they will get so much money thrown at them that they will not be able to refuse

• moosebaby02 says:

I really hope ur right Gike

• MCM says:

Oh it will happen GUNNER. But it’s only gonna take place in either Rio or Dallas, cause this is fight is gonna headline the UFC’s first stadium show. It won’t be till the end of next year at the earliest and it won’t be at 192lbs (can Jones even make 200?), but it will happen.