Cesar Gracie: “I think Nick probably will face Josh Koscheck in his return to the Octagon.”

UFC welterweight Josh Koscheck recently went on Twitter to announce he’d been approached about a fight with polarizing pugilist Nick Diaz in early February when the former Strikeforce champion returns from a drug-related suspension. Diaz’s coach, Cesar Gracie, has since confirmed the likelihood of the two tussling in the immediate future even though his star student is also open to other match-ups as well.

“Personally, I like the option of him fighting Koscheck, a guy who is very popular here in the United States (and) has great public recognition. Everyone knows who he is, especially here,” said Gracie in an interview with TATAME. “Demian Maia is a great fighter. I think (he) would also be a great opponent, but here in America, Maia is not as popular as Koscheck. So I think Nick probably will face Josh Koscheck in his return to the Octagon.”

Gracie also reiterated Diaz would love to fight Anderson Silva too though he understands the UFC brass isn’t keen on the idea.

Diaz (26-8) has been out of action since February, losing a close decision to Carlos Condit and subsequently being suspended for a year after marijuana metabolites were found in his system. The loss laid an eleven-fight winning streak to waste.

The 17-6 Koscheck is also coming off a decision defeat, falling to Mike Pierce in May.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

• MCM says:

Has Nick actually said he’s coming back? I know Dana has said it, and Cesar has said it, and Maia and Kos have asked for it, but aside from saying he’d like to fight A. Silva, has Nick Diaz actually said he wants back in the cage?

• hindsightufuk says:

seen a few interviews with him saying he is always training and he still believes he is one of the top guys, keeps hinting at coming back. i sure as shit hope so

• Richard Stabone says:

Too bad there’s not a reality show to promote or they could just have Diaz fight Silva next for the MW belt.

• Creature says:

Just a heads up to 5oz.. Koscheck beat Pierce, he lost a bogus decision to Johnny Hendricks :)

• Creature says:

Also i have Kos by Decision

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Diaz is a bad match up for Kos. Gsp beat Kos with quick accurate jabs. No real big KO punches. Fucked up his eye and made him look bad.

That is Diaz’s whole game plan. Punches in bunches. Unless Kos thinks he is gonna take him down and hold him for 3-5 rounds I have a hard time seeing him winning.

• MCM says:

I don’t know why you wouldn’t think Kos would take him down and hold him for 3-5 rounds, Hatter? Diaz hasn’t faced an elite (or any) wrestler since Sean Sherk in 2006, and he lost that one. I don’t think anyone would argue that Diaz has the better striking game, but he’s far from difficult to take down and his bottom game, although slick in appearance, is nothing that Josh couldn’t handle.
    I think this match up goes exactly how Diaz doesn’t want it too. Nick lands the majority of strikes for the first minute of each round then ends up getting smothered on the ground for the next 4. And winds up losing the match even though he (and his corner) will feel like they won the fight.
    I’m actually not that interested in this fight, cause I don’t see it being very exciting or unpredictable.

• Creature says:

Only thing i have to add to what MCM said is that the only reason kos didnt wrestle the hell out of GSP is because he wasnt able to. Not the case with Diaz

• Richard Stabone says:

I don’t like Koscheck but he’s a really tough out. And I tend to agree that Kos would have an easier time dealing with Nick’s striking than Nick dealing with Kos’ takedowns & smothering ground control. If this fight happens I think Diaz will have to pull of a submission in order to win… possible but unlikely, as Josh has only lost via submission once in his career (7 years ago when he was still pretty green).

I just don’t like the matchup. Stylistically, I’d much rather see Nick fight Ellenberger. That would be a fun fight… somewhat similar to the Daley vs. Diaz matchup, with Ellenberger as a better version of Daley.