Chael Sonnen: “I keep hearing that I talked my way into a fight, and guys, it’s true.”

UFC middleweight-turned-205er Chael Sonnen hasn’t taken much time out of his schedule to address criticism about the crack at Jon Jones’ championship he received despite his lack of divisional success. Rather than based on his performance inside the Octagon, Sonnen’s title-shot came as the result of calling Jones out after stepping up on short notice for a September match-up that ultimately never materialized. Needless to say, his fast-tracking to the top spot didn’t sit well with other competitors who felt they were in line for the opportunity.

However, Sonnen recently participated in an online chat with fans through MetroPCS where he made it clear he had no plans to apologize for his willingness to face the best MMA has to offer.

“I keep hearing that I talked my way into a fight, and guys, it’s true. But the word that I used was ‘yes’. When the chance came and they said, ‘Do you want to fight?’ I said yes,” explained Sonnen (credit to MMAFighting for the transcription).

“Contrary to what it may look like on TV, he is pretty darn good, and there’s not a lot of guys who want to fight him. And contrary to what the oddsmakers may say, (I’m) pretty good, too, and there’s not a lot of guys who want to fight me,” Sonnen continued on how the clash came together. “A lot of guys complain that I got the fight with Jon. But not one of those guys said, ‘Hey, I want to fight Jon.’ Not one of them. And a lot of those guys complain that Jon’s fighting me and we’re going to be the biggest fight in UFC history, and you’re stealing 2013 early. Guys, you didn’t call me out. You want to complain that I’m fighting him, but you didn’t want to fight me to get to him.”

Jones and Sonnen will both serve as coaches on the Ultimate Fighter 17 before fighting late April. Taping for the show started this week with a debut date in January.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sonnen didnt earn a shot.
    UFC and MMAs cred = 0.
    Thanks.

On a positive note…actually there is no positive here.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Oh and now Dana White is saying Fedor was one of the greatest HWs of all time.

It makes me laugh. Where are those nuthuggers now? They would be a little confused huh?
    “Duhhh but you said Fedor sux”.
    How can anyone be so stupid?
    Now those same HATERS are saying “OK Fedor was one of the best”.
    You all (honestly) make me sick.
    Think for yourself.

• moosebaby02 says:

well If Sonnen didnt earn a shot at a title for being a the only YES man in the company who was willing to step up to the plate then who???? This is Lorenzo and Dana putting all those guys who claim they want to be a fighter in the UFC on notice. “You stratch my our back and we will stratch yours”
    Its a dog eat dog world we live in and unforunitually this is how shit is run in socitey. Nothing is just always given to you most of the time you just have to take it. Dont see how people didnt see this coming. Espically for the ones who hate everything that is the UFC? Dana is a vendictive prick. Everyone knows this.

• moosebaby02 says:

ah spell check damnit

Well If Sonnen didn’t earn a shot at a title for being the only YES man in the company who was willing to step up to the plate then who???? This is Lorenzo and Dana putting all those guys who claim they want to be a fighter in the UFC on notice. “You scratch our back and we will scratch yours”
    Its dog eat dog world we live in and unfortunately this is how shit is run in society. Nothing is just always given to you most of the time you just have to take it. Don’t see how people didn’t see this coming. Especially for the ones who hate everything that is the UFC? Dana is a vindictive prick. Everyone knows this.

• Screenplaya says:

Sonnen got this fight because of the deal with Fox. They needed a windbag to sell The Ultimate Fighter reality show. He is a dull dull dull fighter, but he talks shit better than anyone. I expect TUF will be quite entertaining, and in the end, we will get to see Sonnen beaten into oblivion.

He doesn’t deserve the shot, obviously, but there is an excellent chance that this will be the last time we ever have to watch him try to lay and pray to a decision. Once he gets obliterated, there are no more title shots in his future, so hopefully he will quit the fight game, and transition into a full-tim mouthpiece, which he is very good at.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m not really a fan of Chael’s, some of his trash talk is funny, but some of it just gets on my nerves or seems forced. But I think it’d be HILARIOUS if Chael actually ended up beating Bones for the belt, just so I could read all the bitching afterwards and all the shocked comments.

• Richard Stabone says:

I wouldn’t complain if Chael somehow beat Jones. Anything can happen once the cage doors shut… JBJ lands awkwardly and cracks a rib or blows out a knee, etc….stuff we’ve seen happen in the cage before.

Dana & Co. put the fight together, so if something wacky happens and they end up with Chael representing the LHW division as champion, sliding closer to WWE territory than a legitimate pro sport, part of me would like to see it happen. It would further expose these short-sighted money grab maneuvers by the UFC, eventually biting them in the ass and forcing the UFC suits to re-think their decision making process that puts too much weight on TV contracts & ratings and less on the legitimacy of the sport.