Jorge Masvidal left in limbo waiting for word from Strikeforce

Less than twelve months ago, lightweight Jorge Masvidal was Strikeforce’s top 155-pound contender and seemed poised for a big year in 2012 despite coming up short in his shot at Gilbert Melendez’s title. However, he’s only taken to the cage a single time since meeting Melendez, and isn’t sure what the future holds for him considering Strikeforce’s shaky state.

The organization is expected to be dismantled after a January 12 show that is starting to fill up with the announcement of multiple match-ups. Unfortunately for Masvidal, his name has not been amongst those booked to compete, and he’s not certain that will change in the coming weeks either.

“I wish they’d tell us, hey listen, this show got cancelled, you’re going to be on the January card, you’re going to be on the April card, something like that. That’s the only thing that gets me going,” said Masvidal in an interview with MMAWeekly. “I’m only going to be 27 once in my life and I only fought once during that whole time, feels like a big wasted year. Not just for the money, but for the actual competing purposes. I could have fought four or five times, yet I sat out and fought one time.”

Masvidal went on to explain he had been offered an opportunity to fight on New Year’s Eve in Japan but hasn’t been able to accept or decline it based on the lack of communication from his superiors at Strikeforce. Take it and he risks a spot on the January event; turn it down and he misses out on a much-needed paycheck.

During the conversation, “Gamebred” also admitted his funds were running low based on the lack of activity. Though he was supposed to fight on Strikeforce’s since-scrapped November show, Masvidal revealed he is still waiting to receive the chunk of cash he was expecting once Zuffa came forward to announce affected competitors would be paid for their trouble.

“I heard that we would be compensated; I don’t know what the figures were. I haven’t been yet. I’m not saying we’re not because the fight would have just happened last weekend, so maybe they’re going to take care of us now, but I don’t know anything about it,” said the disheartened 28-year old (who celebrates his birthday today).

When Masvidal does make his eventual return to the ring, fans should be in for a treat considering his preference to strike and reputation for toughness. The 23-7 Masvidal has won three of his last four fights including success against Justin Wilcox and K.J. Noons.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ