twitter google

Michael Bisping calls for interim title in light of Anderson Silva’s shaky status

Fans were caught off guard yesterday by UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva’s comments concerning his intent to sit out for a year, focusing on personal projects rather than success in the Octagon. In Silva’s statement on the matter he also made it clear he was open to the idea of an interim belt being created in his absence if the organization felt it was the right move.

Though UFC President Dana White hasn’t responded to Silva’s remarks yet, contender Michael Bisping seems open to the idea of a temporary title-holder being established so long as it involves his upcoming bout with Vitor Belfort.

“If Anderson wants to take time off to be a movie star, make me and Vitor for the interim title,” wrote Bisping on Twitter in a message directed at his boss.

Bisping and Belfort and scheduled to fight on January 19 in Brazil at UFC on FX 7. The bout has not be named as a clash with top contendership on the line but the label seems likely given some of the UFC’s other recent decisions where title-fights are concerned. While both men are among the biggest names at 185 pounds, neither can boast the consecutive wins of other worthwhile competitors such as Tim Boetsch, Alan Belcher, and Chris Weidman, making for an interesting situation to say the least when it comes to the future of the division.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

8 COMMENTS
  • Dufresne says:

    I don’t see making an interim title unless Silva was actually injured. If Silva refuses to defend it for whatever reason other than personal injury, he should simply be required to relinquish the belt. I don’t see it coming to that, Silva has hinted at pursuing other projects several times so far and he always comes back to the Octagon. I know eventually he will hang up the gloves and probably transition to being a full time celebrity at home, but I don’t think he’s at that point yet.

    And of course Bisping wants an interim shot. He knows he’d get destroyed by Silva if he ever actually got to fight for the belt.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

  • moosebaby02 says:

    See now that didn’t take long for. Weidman should be next and so on and so on all the while the Spider will be getting his bank account ready for a huge deposit

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 1

  • moosebaby02 says:

    for someone to start talking

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 1

  • Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

    Sounds like we need another 4 man tourney. Sorry Vitor, you’re not invited.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 2

  • fanoftna33 says:

    I bet $100 buck this is just talk, Anderson doesent want everybody thinking for sure he is going to challenge GSP, I dont belive it a bit and Saturday if GSP wins Anderson will challenge him to a superfight, BUT if GSP loses Anderson will be able to say thats not why he was there and save face a bit.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

  • Richard Stabone says:

    In the WW division, GSP’s belt hasn’t been defended in the past 18+ months.

    In the MW division, Silva has defended his belt once in the last 15 months (and counting).

    If GSP wins Saturday, he’s supposed to shelf the WW belt again to shift his focus to this superfight? And for Silva, would he take another fight in the meantime? If not, it would mean we’re headed toward the WW and MW belts each having been defended one stinking time in a 2+ year span. Which is obviously f*cking ridiculous, and not something that would be remedied by creating more silly interim belts.

    Hopefully GSP was serious when he recently said (paraphrasing) “I don’t care about Anderson Silva. He can do whatever he wants.”

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

  • Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

    GSP wants the Silva/Jones fight more than me, hahaha!!

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • Rich, that’s Twice Anderson has defended his title in 15 months….Your point still stands but I like to make sure the facts are aligned.
    If Silva wants to take a year to relax I dont see who’s earned it more. In 6 years and 5 months Anderson has fought 16 times (that’s roughly twice a year a time or two more here and there) and in those 16 times he’s set unprecedented records(both for title defenses and consecutive wins), he’s the first fighter to gain MAJOR sponsorship(Nike and Burger King) and he has been a polarizing figure in the sport. Point being, I dont want him going anywhere but if he wants to take a little time off I cant say I blame him.
    No clear cut number one contender is defined(No Weidman is not clearly defined, nor is Belcher or Boetsch)., GSP need not focus on a superfight(and doesnt want to) before getting back to work in his own division, win or lose saturday, Jones is tied up with Sonnen. Let The best in the world take near a year off, and see what happens.
    Its not like he’s got anything ahead of him currently that needs immediate addressing.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ