Anderson Silva might be willing to fight in May if match-up involves Georges St-Pierre

Last week, UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva came forward to say he planned to take a year off from fighting to focus on personal projects outside of the Octagon, opening the door for a ton of speculation on what his true intentions were. Many felt the decision might be a way for the Brazilian to posture himself for a go at Georges St-Pierre, putting his divisional duties aside while giving him a chance to slim down for a catch-weight clash with the 170 pounder.

Those suspicions were given substance this weekend when Silva was asked if he would be willing to fight sooner than previously stated if GSP was involved, confirming it was a possibility depending on the situation.

“I need time for training. I need time to talk to my coach, talk to my doctor…I need time for preparation for this fight,” said Silva of a May match-up with St-Pierre in a conversation with Fuel TV, before adding the ever-ambiguous tag of, “Maybe.”

UFC President Dana White recently mentioned May as a potential date for a dance between MMA’s top two pound-for-pound competitors.

Making it clear the #1 name on the list of opponents he’d like to face was indeed St-Pierre’s, Silva stated, “Yeah, this is my plan, but it’s not my decision. I work for the UFC.”

“This is not my decision, not Georges St-Pierre’s decision. This is Dana’s decision,” he continued. “This is the big show, the big fight…the fans of the UFC will love it.”

St-Pierre has yet to show the same passion for the pairing as Silva, hinting his interest is in staying at welterweight and continuing to defend his divisional belt rather than bulk up for a bout with “The Spider”.

The full interview with Silva can be seen below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MickeyC says:

BUT OF COURSE IT WILL COST YOU. 1 BILLON DOLLARS.LOL.

• MickeyC says:

GSP may go for it. I do not think he will get in a big hurry to face Hendricks.

• moosebaby02 says:

GSP is not scared of Hendricks. Those are the kind of fights he wants. A challenge to his legacy. Not a freak show fight that he is not interested in just to line up the pockets for Uncle Dana and Anderson. There is also Diaz in his ear that he needs to clean out as well.
    As for that hypocrite Anderson…if its all up to Uncle Dana and the UFC why didn’t he fight Sonnen the 2nd time right away when they “TOLD” you to when they did???

• Screenplaya says:

I am not the the slightest bit interested in GSP/Hendricks. Hendricks has a puncher’s chance, and that is all. That fight would come down to whether or not Johnny is able to land that punch before GSP wears him down. Just not a compelling fight.

And, when you factor in the chance to have a superfight between the two greatest MMA fighters ever, then the choice is clear.

Let’s make this happen. Georges, I believe the ball is in your court. You versus Silva. Dallas. May.

Or take a few extra months, pack on the muscle, make the move to 185, and stay there. There is so much talent at 170 that the division would still be great if you left.

In the meantime, let’s see Nick Diaz/Hendricks.

• Dachman says:

I just don’t think GSP moving up to 185 and fight Silva is a good match up. A much more intriguing and I believe competitive fight would be Silva/Jones. I don’t think Silva wants Jones.

• AlphaOmega says:

Dana isn’t going to let GSP move to 185 perm, he will want him to bounce back and forth, which is something GSP doesn’t/wont do, and I really don’t see how he can put all the muscle on and be properly trained by may even if he did do it.

• AlphaOmega says:

Then again maybe I don’t see it possible for GSP just because I don’t want to see GSP/Silva like at all, that fight has no interest for me, mostly because I think it’s not a fair fight. GSP is a small WW, moving up to 185 is just asking for trouble, especially against Silva who walks around above LHW weight.

• Richard Stabone says:

I don’t think GSP is gonna take the bait, and I’d rather not see the WW division jacked with now that it’s finally back on track. We’ve got the top dog back in the mix, an obvious #1 contender who’s been laying out top contenders with his power, and the GSP-Diaz fight always a looming possibility. Don’t mess with a good thing.

But DW will make a strong pitch, and dangle a ton of $$, so we’ll just have to wait and see. Regardless of what happens, there’s no chance that GSP fights Silva in May. A 6-month time table was never realistic, and even less so after GSP got dinged up pretty good Saturday night and will take some well-deserved downtime.

And for the 458th time, if Silva is really that bored with the current crop of MW contenders and intent on a super fight, all he’s gotta do is let uncle Dana know he’s ready to fight JBJ at 205.

• Sumoninja says:

Anyone else wonder if packing on extra pounds for 185 is the best route for someone who just went through ACL reconstruction?
    Even without that, I don’t like GSP v Silva. Somebodies record gets tarnished for no reason. I don’t need to know who’s better under the odd circumstances of catchweight, because it still doesn’t tell me. I look at Silva and GSP and see them obviously in two different weight classes. That’s ok, and it’s awesome that they both exist at the same moment in time. Continue dominating your weight classes…there are enough fights out there.
    Having said that, Jones v Silva is interesting to me…they are more realistically size matched.