Miesha Tate criticizes GSP for “ignorant” stance on female fighting

Bantamweight star Miesha Tate understands a certain segment of the population is opposed to the notion of women facing off inside the cage just as there are those out there against the idea of Mixed Martial Arts in general. However, one group she likely felt she could depend on for support was the collective of her fellow competitors.

As such, when UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre came forward last week to say he had a hard time watching females fight, his statement didn’t sit well with Tate as she made clear over the weekend in a blog post.

“I think the problem with GSP’s view about WMMA is that he doesn’t have one. If he hasn’t ever watched us women fight then he can’t say how he really feels about it because he’s ignorant,” wrote Tate. “Being old fashioned is fine, but us ‘modern day’ girls aren’t asking for your protection, we are asking for your acceptance and we are fighting for equality.”

“If everyone felt about MMA as GSP thinks he feels about WMMA, then he wouldn’t have a job,” she continued. “I’m hoping George St. Pierre can open his mind a little bit and actually watch some women’s fights. We’re coming to the UFC for a reason and it would be nice to have one of my all-time favorite fighter’s full support. It won’t take long for him to realize we aren’t these fragile little creatures when we enter the cage – we are warriors and every bit as deserving of respect as the men.”

Tate is expected to join Ronda Rousey and other 135-pound stand-outs on the UFC’s roster in 2013 when the organization welcomes women to the Octagon for the first time in its history.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Richard Stabone says:

GSP’s comments are sorta cryptic, but best I can tell he’s basically saying that from his viewpoint (largely shaped by the way he was raised), any type of physical aggression/violence directed towards females is inappropriate and/or difficult to watch…even if it’s among consenting females in a sanctioned environment. I don’t agree with him, but I don’t see that as a discriminatory point of view either. He’s not suggesting it shouldn’t be allowed/sanctioned, or otherwise trying to deny females an opportunity that is afforded to their male counterparts…

“I’m happy for the girls that fight … good for them … but it’s not my cup of tea.” That sorta thing.

I don’t see anything *wrong* with his viewpoint, but the fact he’s not openly supporting WMMA is gonna ruffle some feathers. It would be like if Michael Jordan expressed his lack of interest in watching women’s basketball back when the WNBA was launching. Not a smooth move, and part of the reason these guys are so measured with everything that comes out of their mouth to protect their image & brand. Next time GSP will leave it at “I am happy for them” and everyone will be able to relax.

It ain’t for everybody.

Tate

cont’d

Tate continues to be very vocal about many topics… I feel like she comments not only to voice her opinion but to also stay in mma headlines and maintain her relevency.

• darth_irritable says:

Hey Brendhan – the javascript on the thumbs up is terrrrrrrribly slow. I’ve inadvertently double liked a couple of times. minor nit, but if you can get your devs to take a look :) ….

• Dr.Stoppage says:

To me it’s kind of like when a woman asks ,”Do these jeans make me look fat?”

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Also , I think Miesha has a crush on GSP.

• AlphaOmega says:

It is for me too darth, I have to double click the thumbs a lot, which is why I rarely thumbs up or down, I click it moving on thinking it registered

• AlphaOmega says:

oh now ronda tweeted that she agrees with Meisha about this, and GSP is getting a lot of heat on twitter because of it.

• Lord Faust says:

He said it’s nothing his thing, and didn’t say anything negative. They’re desperate or attention. If anything, Miesha’s the ignorant one — what a surprise.

• Lord Faust says:

Argh, “not his thing”.

• RicM says:

…..so he has a “hard time watching females fight”……..sounds like he’s just not comfortable watching WMMA…..GSP conducts himself as a gentleman, and as such, he probably just doesn’t like watching the girls scrap…..Miesha seems a bit touchy…..need a Midol, darling??? lol……