Todd Duffee returning to the UFC for December 29 tilt with Philip De Fries

A little over three years ago, power-punching heavyweight Todd Duffee made a huge impact in his UFC debut by knocking out Tim Hague in seven seconds. Then unbeaten, Duffee was immediately labeled as an up-and-comer based on youth, a hulking frame, and his ability to flatten foes. However, Duffee only lasted one more fight and was cut after being KO’d by Mike Russow as a result of the loss, a series of withdrawals, and some critical statements that didn’t sit well with management.

As is often said, time tends to heal all wounds, and Duffee will now get another shot in the Octagon despite a 1-1 record since being cut and only a single fight in nearly two years.

According to a report from the Las Vegas Sun (that has since been confirmed by the UFC), the 26-year old slugger will face Philip De Fries on December 29 at UFC 155. DeFries was originally scheduled to meet Matt Mitrione at the event before “Meathead” stepped up to replace the injured Shane Carwin on a card unfolding a few weeks earlier.

The 7-2 Duffee is coming off a 37-second stoppage of Neil Grove in April and hasn’t stepped foot in the cage since. Meanwhile, De Fries is a 9-1 submission specialist with eight tap-outs to his credit including a finish of Oli Thompson in August at UFC on FOX 4.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t remember the critical statements part of all of that, I was curious why he got cut so fast.

• darth_irritable says:

Just what we need – MORE TRT in the UFC. Because everyone’s balls stop working at 26.

• Richard Stabone says:

Nothing was ever substantiated as to why the UFC cut Duffee loose, other than Dana not liking his attitude…

“We have the ability to cut a guy when he loses a fight. He lost that fight [against Mike Russow], but the biggest problem I have with Todd Duffee is his attitude. You guys don’t see it. You don’t know. I deal with tons of guys. We have hundreds of guys under contract and I’ve had thousands of guys under contract over the last ten years and Todd Duffee, to me, doesn’t seem like he wants to be in the UFC. He doesn’t like being in the UFC. Let him go fight in the smaller organizations and work his way back up, if he even wants to work his way back up and get back into the UFC. He just came off a knockout. He got knocked out in his fight and he’s got a horrible attitude. He’s got a horrible attitude. He can still go back and train and fight in these smaller leagues and work on his skills and his attitude.”

More simply put: We are the UFC, we can cut a guy any time we want, for whatever reason we see fit.

Eh, OK I guess. But how about at least dealing with a professional athlete on somewhat of a professional level and communicate the reasoning behind the decision to terminate his/her services? Yeah, not so much…

Duffee: “Do I have any idea why I was cut? I honestly don’t. Nobody at the UFC talked to me.”

Dana demands professionalism & maturity but, as his track record has shown time & time again, struggles to hold up his end of the bargain when it comes to the same. Do as I say, not as I do.

This fits in with the larger issues of the way the UFC conducts business with its fighters. Overall pretty good, but some glaring holes when it comes to inconsistency/favortism, pettiness, strongarm tactics, etc. Oh well, I’ll leave it at that. Glad to see Duffee back in the mix, and he’s probably learned how to better deal with & cater to his bosses this time around.

• Richard Stabone says:

As for Duffee being among the majority of pro fighters who use PEDs, that doesn’t bother me. Just handle that part of the profession wisely, don’t fail tests & jeopardize planned fights. To use the completely overused phrase – it is what it is.

• moosebaby02 says:

If I remember correct he made a comment (twitter I think) about how much Kimbo made for his fight to that extent. Pretty much salary bashing and Uncle Dana got pissed like always. Then went all vindictive and shit

• AlphaOmega says:

Thank you, I hadn’t heard any of that, I think it might of been during the time I’d taken a break from 5oz so missed everything. I’ll also say though on the TRT, it’s more questioning why someone so young would need it though, as opposed to an older person.

• darth_irritable says:

Alpha, that’s exactly right. Look at that photo of Duffee and tell me that at 26 he looks like he needs TRT.