Brendan Schaub: “In every fight, I feel as if my back is against the wall or I could be fired.”

UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub will enter his UFC on FOX 5 fight against heavy-handed Lavar Johnson in the dreaded position of potentially losing his third straight scrap. Even worse, Schaub’s stumbles both involved opening round knockouts, meaning one more finish could mark his final appearance inside the Octagon.

Despite the adversity, Schaub is still supremely confident a few weeks out from the bout, making sure to avoid getting caught up in his current circumstances and instead looking at the big picture.

“I feel like I could go into any situation and become successful because I’ve been competing all my life,” explained Schaub in an interview with the Bleacher Report. “That being said, I’ve lost before, man. I’ve lost big. But in the bigger picture I’ve won more than I’ve lost.”

“I make sure to take something away from every time I’ve come up short,” he continued. “I take those lessons and move on. It is all a part of the growth process for me.”

Asked whether or not his match-up with Johnson is a “must win”, the 8-3 Schaub agreed it could be but added it’s the same attitude he’s taken in every clash of his career.

“In every fight, I feel as if my back is against the wall or I could be fired. But that is why my fighting style is the way it is. I put on exciting fights,” he concluded.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

He definitely seemed to go down hill, he got KOed by Big Country, then made a nice comeback, but now he’s hit a skid again, not sure why.

• Creature says:

Hes like Andre Arlovski, his chin is holding him back from doing anything significant

• getting hit flush by 230 plus pound dudes cuz he rushed in and dropped his hands might have something to do with it. If he fought smart like he did against cro cop he’d staRt winning again

• JabCrossHook says:

Dave seriously he fought smart against Cro Cop? If you call rabbit punching cro cop and losing the first 2 rounds fighting smart then you may have a point.

Cro Cop was winning up until he got caught, shit he was beating Roy Nelson before he got taken down in the third round.

Just shows what kind of a legend Cro Cop was, I still say the younger K1 Cro Cop fighting at LHW would’ve laid waste to every single fighter in the LHW divison including Jones. Jones wouldn’t be able to take those K1 caliber strikes.

• AlphaOmega says:

Did Schaub stay at Jacksons or go to Blackzillians with Rashad?

• Richard Stabone says:

Schaub and Mitrione are converted football players who’ve done as well with the late crossover to MMA as could have been reasonably expected. They each beat some scrubs early on and people started way overhyping them, Schaub in particular. And then once they faltered against tougher competition people start unfairly criticizing them because of the silly expectations that these guys are top-10 material when they simply are not. Just let them do their thing – they each put on exciting fights and add depth to the notoriously weak HW division.

• AlphaOmega says:

Johnson’s out of this fight, pulled groin