Georges St-Pierre: “First and foremost, I have things to do at 170 pounds.”

UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre isn’t opposed to the idea of seeing action against pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva at some point in the future. However, it appears his immediate focus is on taking care of business in his own division before potentially making a move up to face the larger Silva.

While the approach could ultimately cost him millions of dollars and may disappoint countless fans, not to mention his employers, St-Pierre is adamant about pursuing his own interests instead of kowtowing to the demands of others.

“I would like to fight (Silva) too, but after I fight him and win the fight, what happens next? These days, yeah, there’s a lot of money to be made, but I don’t fight for the money. My motivation is to be the best,” stated St-Pierre in an interview with French-Canadian outlet Tout Le Monde en Parle (transcribed by MMAFighting). “So yes, I want the fight, but I want to take it when I decide the time is right, not when he wants the fight to happen.”

“First and foremost, I have things to do at 170 pounds. When I am ready and when I want the fight, that’s when it will happen,” St-Pierre concluded. “I’m not scared of him. It’s just that I will take this fight when it makes sense for me. I just came back from an injury, there’s money to be made, there are fights in my weight class, other challenges out there, and if I fight him, I will have to gain weight, while he will have to lose weight, and then afterwards, I won’t be able to come back to my weight class.”

If St-Pierre sticks to his guns he will likely face Johny Hendricks at some point in the first quarter of 2013. GSP was last seen outpointing Carlos Condit in convincing fashion at UFC 154, picking up his first win since being sidelined with knee injuries since mid-2011.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Angry Mike says:

Probably a smart plan for his career. The super fight is always out there, but he can make a lot of money until then by fighting some of the up and comers at 170 who gained momentum while he was rehabbing his knee. Clean them out and then consider the super fight.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 0

• fanoftna33 says:

He does have things to do at 170 but really nothing that jumps out at me. Hendricks is the hot name right now but it was just 6 months ago that he was getting a split decision against a guy GSP has DOMINATED for 8 rounds and almost retired. I for one would not be upset in the least if Hendricks gets the shot, but if he is put on the back burner and GSP vs Silva happens that would be so much better I feel as we truly get to see two of the best mma fighters ever fight while both are still relevant. Give Hendricks 1 more tough fight, the winner of Maia vs Fitch or Diaz on his return and then see what happens.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m ok with him staying at 170 and defending the belt like a champion. I’ve yet to understand, other then $$$, why Dana is so hard for GSP to solidify against Condit and then move up and leave the WW division in a log jam again, that seems pointless, or have GSP go through all that just to vacate the belt on a perm move to MW right after solidifying it. Plus GSP is a small WW, so he will be an even smaller MW, Silva will have a huge size advantage over him.

Then again I’m not a fan of super fights, and think that title holders should defend their belts in their division, and that there’s no need for them to fight.

• THEGUNNER says:

If he loses ot will consider a s the best hands down. He should fight him later when a s slows a lil or shows signs og wear and tear even then a ww fighting a mw that makes lhw easy isnt the smartest idea. I dont see a s calling any one his size out this bad I guess hed rather fight a ww or washed up lhws.

• MCM says:

I don’t think GSP is a small WW by any means. Diego Sanchez is a small WW, Bj Penn is a small WW, even Matt Hughes is a small WW by today’s standards. GSP may not be the tallest guy in the room but he’s by no means “small”. I also don’t think he’d be that much smaller than A.Silva. Silva may make 203 easily now, but it wasn’t that long ago he was making 170 and if GSP bulked up like he says, he’d be around 205 by the time he steps in the cage anyway. Silva is 6’2″ with a 77″ reach, in comparison Condit is 6’1″ with a 76″ reach. I know that Condit is no Anderson, but Condit was by far the best the WW division has to offer GSP.

I think it’s time GSP made the move up to MW (and Silva to LHW while were at it). He could take on Anderson and if he won, he would hold both belts at the same time. He could then relinquish the WW title and go on to defend the MW until he retires. I agree with fanoftna33 that there really aren’t that many challenges left for GSP at 170.
    Hendrix has a great left hand but he got out wrestled by Rick Story and come close to losing to both Kos and Mike Pierce in the past 16 months. And now that Diaz is out of the title pic (once he loses to Kos) and Kampmann and Ellenberger are two fights away at least and no one really wants to see GSP/Fitch 2, what is really out there for GSP?

I think GSP needed to come back and defend the title after his knee surgery but now that that’s done, the landscape isn’t any more promising than when he left the division. Make the move to 185, take the belt with you, and if you win send it back down for others to fight over knowing that no future WW champ will ever be able to truly claim that they beat the champ.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

GSP should stay at 170. Whether or not there is anyone who would be favored to beat him isn’t the point. he wants to stay at that weight.

GSP hasn’t gotten bored and jumped up to 185 to pummel any mismatched opponents that I can remember.

What makes far more sense is for Silva to vacate the MW belt and make a permanent move to 205. He has already made the jump 3 times and looked very sharp each time.

Jones v. Silva would be a much better fight in terms of making sense in each division. Jones is facing Sonnen in the spring. Why not give Silva a no.1 contender match around the same time or just give him a title shot v. winner of Jones/Sonnen?

Silva would not be a the bigger fighter in the cage for first time and I would expect a very close fight giving the edge to Jones.

Still a “super fight” , but does not hold a division hostage, allows MW to have a new champ, fresh match-ups and adds a bit more excitement to the division. As it sits right now does anyone in the MW division look like they could go 3 rounds much less 5 with Silva?

GSP doesn’t seem terribly interested with a fight with Silva. I don’t think he is scared or ducking him , but instead would like to face all legit challengers at 170 and honestly I think he wants his pound of flesh from Nick Diaz more than from Anderson Silva.

• Dachman says:

I don’t like a GSP/Silva match I think Silva is much better suited moving up to fight Jones. I don’t think Silva wants to fight Jones ever. He wants to take 6 months off beat GSP and keep finding ways to avoid Jones.

• “These days, yeah, there’s a lot of money to be made, but I don’t fight for the money. My motivation is to be the best,”

Ok then prove it, step up and take on Silva.
    Look, Im almost pissed off that this talk is happening again, but let’s face it, this is the fight that SHOULD happen, and all the previously stated reasons apply.
    – These two are both supremely dominant in their respective divisions with seemingly no challengers ahead of them. Georges just came off of a fight with a guy similar to Silva (slick striking great groundwork, cardio for 5 rounds, KO power etc) stylistically speaking and he came out winning in very convincing fashion. Silva has recently come off of a fight with an opponent similar to Georges (Chael Sonnen, great wrestling, perfect ground control, insane cardio, awesome GnP) and he put him away. So we have a stylistic glimpse as to how they’ll do in those kind of fights (personal ability of GSP and Silva are other factors I wont get into, Im just comparing the similarities as to HOW these guys fight.)

The UFC is on the upswing right now and with this upcoming card on Fox being a guaranteed success(This might be the night the UFC blows boxing away) this Superfight would be the best thing to follow it up with, showing that the UFC is bringing MMA to a new and bigger mainstream era by putting the two most dominant fighters in current MMA, that even the most casual of fans know alot about against each other in Dallas stadium.

Most importantly, We’re unsure of how long Silva has left in his career. Look, he’s more dominant than anyone has been ever, let alone at his age, but he cant stave off father time forever….
    Then again Hendo is 5 years his elder, and he’s still kickin major ass.

And Finally This needs to happen ASAP before one of these two champions zig when they should’ve zagged and get KO’d or submitted in brutal fashion and this fight is no longer relevant in terms of how big it could be for the sport.

• moosebaby02 says:

Nothing like a bigger guy calling out a smaller guy to a fight.
    Especially after the smaller guy is coming off his first fight after an 18 month layoff.
    Especially after the smaller guy has everyone wanting to taste a chance at the strap after 18 months.
    Especially after the bigger guy has everyone in his weight class calling out his honor, manhood, well pretty much calling him a bitch.
    You go bigger guy. Do your thing
    And big as GSP is, he is still smaller then Anderson
    Just cause Anderson feels that his window of time is running out dosent mean everyone has to do what him and Uncle Dana wants

• Sumoninja says:

I’m just not interested in GSP v Silva. It’s not good timing or career management for GSP, and it’s a weak call-out by Silva, who just wants to beat GSP and retire. I know folks will disagree with me, but I think it’s a huge mismatch for GSP, and he’ll lose. If a striker of Carlos Condit’s size and skill can knot him up and almost knock him out, Silva will have no problem. I think if the fight happens, GSP’s legacy ends up damaged because he lost, and Silva looks bad because he picked on the small guy and took the easy way out for his last fight. Say what you will, but the difference between 170 and 185/205 is huge.
    Makes more sense to fight Jones. Jones doesn’t have the legacy on the line yet, and Silva has already set a precedent that he’ll compete at 205. I don’t understand why that’s not the fight everyone wants.

• AlphaOmega says:

The problem is that a lot of people do want the Silva/Jones fight, but neither Jones or Silva will fight each other, they’ve been very vocal about that, so Dana is at a brick wall there. But at least one part is agreeing to the Silva/GSP fight, and GSP is a company man so Dana is figuring he will just fold into line

• Richard Stabone says:

If GSP had been fighting these past couple years without interruption, I think the Silva superfight could have–and probably would have–happened. But with the devastating injury & lengthy absence from the sport, the superfight was derailed and it’s time for everyone to move on.

GSP has interesting matchups ahead of him in guys like Hendricks and Diaz. And I still think Ellenberger is a beast at 170, just needing to find that tricky balance between all-out aggression vs. fighting smart.

Silva can finish up his movie and then face someone like Weidman or Belcher. And maybe Lombard’s injury really was a big factor in his lackluster debut and he’ll re-emerge as an intriguing threat to Silva.

And for the 187th time, if Anderson Silva is dead set on making a big fight happen, that will help further his legacy, all he needs to do is pick up the phone, dial Uncle Dana, and mention the name Jon Jones. Simple as that.

But as fun as a superfight would be, I think most of us have accepted by now it’s just not gonna happen. And as a consolation prize, we’ll get to wait for the *real* blockbuster to drop… Anderson Silva alongside Steven motherf*cking Seagal in what figures to be a can’t-miss, baddass cop flick that will push all boundaries while packing enough action that it’ll feel like a Silva knee to the solar plexus for anyone with the balls to watch it in one sitting.