Alistair Overeem: “I want Dos Santos to win so I can beat him, but I think Cain is going to take care of him for me.”

One of the most-hyped heavyweight tilts in some time has involved UFC champion Junior dos Santos and devastating Dutchman Alistair Overeem. However, it’s not a match-up that’s actually materialized thus far for a handful of reasons, the primary one involving Overeem’s inability to get licensed until late December stemming from testosterone use.

Though it’s possible the two could tussle in 2013 if Dos Santos defeats Cain Velasquez at UFC 155 and Overeem takes out Antonio Silva a few months later, “The Demolition Man” isn’t so certain his peer will handle his side of things, meaning it may still be awhile before fans have a chance to see them lock horns in the Octagon.

“I want Dos Santos to win so I can beat him, but I think Cain is going to take care of him for me, unfortunately. Junior is going to get taken down. He’s going to get ground-and-pounded,” predicted Overeem in an interview with the Las Vegas Sun. “He’s been doing the zig-zag. He wants to fight me then he doesn’t, so then he fights Cain. I think he’s going to have his hands full with Cain. He’s going to lose.”

As far as the challenge on his own horizon, Overeem explained his reasoning behind taking the tilt instead of sitting out to face the winner of Dos Santos-Velasquez as he could have.

“If I waited for Cain vs. JDS, it would probably be next summer already. It’s been a year since I fought, so you’ve got to consider ring rust. You need to have the experience to use fighting as much as possible,” said Overeem, concluding, “Being out for 18 months would not have been positive.”

PHOTO CREDIT – K1/UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

“He’s been doing the zig-zag. He wants to fight me then he doesn’t, so then he fights Cain.”

Ya..that’s what happens when you get popped for roids and are suspended for a year.

• Richard Stabone says:

^ Reem knows this but he’s gonna continue to flick JDS’ beanbag anyway…keeps the rivalry simmering.

• AlphaOmega says:

I didn’t say he didn’t know it, I’m just saying that’s what happens when you roid out and piss hot.

• Richard Stabone says:

AO, I didn’t give you the thumbs down treatment, in case ya wondered. You’re right that it’s silly for Reem to suggest that JDS has been dodging him, when it was his own failed test & subsequent suspension that has caused matchups to be juggled. Fans like us that follow this stuff will easily recognize that, but it doesn’t prevent Reem from planting this seed with the rest of the casual fanbase that will buy into it and, most importantly, Reem knowing that it will get under JDS’ skin.

Truth be told, I’m a little jealous you got the initial thumbs down while I got shut out. I used to have a fan that would eagerly torpedo my comments with the thumbs down whammy, quickly & decisively, regardless of the topic or merits of my comment… but I no longer seem to get this level of attention and it hurts my feelings a little bit.

So then with this particular article, you fired off the first comment, only to have it ridiculed with the dreaded upside down thumb. Then you see my 2nd comment–the tone of which likely led you to believe I was the thumbs down meanie–so naturally you fire right back with a thumbs down of your own. But I didn’t do it, mang! So clearly there’s a middle man/woman in our midst, with a filthy thumb that probably has dried bits of poo caked under the nail, wielding that nefarious digit in a downward manner and turning us against each other….threatening the harmonious vibes between us 5oz’ers. For shame!

• AlphaOmega says:

No I know, I use to not have a fan, but now I do, I’m curious what I did to deserve such a rewarding fan, I’m kinda honored actually.

About Overeem now, It actually kinda annoys me though in every interview he acts like he chose to take the yr off, like it was an injury or something. I get that he’s just stirring the pot, but has he ever once been like, yup I’m not fighting because I pissed hot? Just irks me the way he plays it off like it was someone elses doing, or something out of his control.

Hey Stabone the thumbs down phantom has been around for years and in my opinion it’s not really one person it’s probably casual visitors to the site whom just could give a fuck less about the regulars and there opinions…

For me personally the thumbs up and down button was gone for so long I rarely even look at it any more and if i do it usually takes 4 clicks before the damn thing even works so I don’t usually even bother to click it…

• AlphaOmega says:

It takes about 4 clicks for me as well Rece, I wonder if it’s just our connections or if it’s suppose to be that way

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I don’t really care who has the title when they fight Overeem. I want to see him really tested against someone who can put out his lights with one punch. Cain and JDS both can do it. Overeem looked good against Lesnar who has no real stand up skills or boxing skills.

Overeem has mad skills on paper but question the quality of opponent he has been fighting. It might not matter and he may be as good as his record and accomplishments indicate , I just want to see how he takes a solid shot from someone who should be his equal standing and his superior on the ground.

• darth_irritable says:

There ya go Richard. I just gave you a thumbs down.

The 5oz equivalent of a group hug.

• moosebaby02 says:

Im the thumbs down bandit hahahaha.
    No but I wish I was so I could least know who it is lol. It only takes me 2 clicks but I do it really fast haha
    Reem is an ass and thats all theirs too it. He might be right about Cain taking out JDS but thats only if he gets him down and Dont remember seeing JDS on his back for any lenght of time. Either way I just glad to see two HW that never pissed hot, who deserve to be in the cage go at it

• AlphaOmega says:

*off topic* Are we getting an article about Frankie Lester punching Cassie Crisano during a weight in?

• AlphaOmega says: